Barduck

Coming soon, a whole fleet of ES44's

It all started with a WIP in Februari 2017 (yes been at this one for so long):

32752375262_1380a9b805_z.jpg

Sadly, I got stuck on the rear top vents and stopped designing her further, I did go back to her from time to time but I just couldn't find a solution that I liked:

32785007842_d5bded8b1b_z.jpg

Then, suddenly near the end of November 2018 I got a breakthru:

46107749721_bf78335544_z.jpg

After that it went fast and I had the UP version ready to be put in instructions:

46318193621_9ae956be64_z.jpg

46322986741_25ed76ce02_z.jpg

But, now that I was on the right track I thought to myself, "Why stop at a UP version?", so I looked online for beautifull liveries and started coloring her in LDD:

46356059021_7b8c4a043e_z.jpg

45492110085_f043044fee_z.jpg

So now I had  CSX, Conrail, Interstate (NS heritage), NS, Union Pacific, Canadian Pacific and BNSF. At this point I contacted Andy (OKBrickworks) to see if he'd be interested in doing decals for them and he promptly posted a topic about it on his facebook. So this is really happening, but it now created the problem that I needed to put not 1 but 7 different version in to instructions. So far, I've done 3: The UP versions of which the pictures are above,

the Conrail version:

45525105235_048914748d_z.jpg

46387047662_3537fdd78c_z.jpg

and the Canadian Pacific version:

45549018245_ffcde843b5_z.jpg

45549004385_42901677c5_z.jpg

And while I continue with making the instructions for the other ones I've had the idea of doing a sort of lottery. I will be gathering the parts and the decals from Andy for 2 UP's. One will be for myself to build and enjoy, the second will be put in kit and one of my lucky costumers will be able to win it (more info on this in the info on the Conrail as I really don't want to go further in to it here)

I'll be adding the renders for the other version when I've done them

(edit: typo)

Edited by Barduck

I have to say that I have been thinking about something in red and the CP version looks fantastic!  Do you have a website or Bricklink page, Barduck?

...and three seconds after posting this I see the link at the foot of your post!!!  Still loving the design though!  :-)

Edited by Roskoboy
typo/idiot

This looks to me like an excellent rendering of the original locomotive, with a superb level of detailing. That Conrail Blue version really catches my eye for some reason; you've done a brilliant job. I'm looking forward to seeing pictures of these built in real bricks!

NS version just finished rendering, still have to put that in PDF and do the parts list. Doing the parts list of the CP version atm and all ready had to make 2 changes because of pieces not existing in red, one is the bar holder with clip used for the railing. Will be changing those to minifig hands as those are plenty available in red. It's that or use black bar holders (a choice I don't want to make)

The renders:

45575485685_b4d6b7755b_z.jpg

45575485935_72e6f3c720_z.jpg

Edited by Barduck

I like the NS version! It reminds me of the ones that come through my hometown. The angles on the front end are especially nice.

Started to port the CSX from LDD to MLCad and ran in to the problem that the "bracket 1x2 - 1x2 up" (in red in this breakdown) doesn't exist in Dark Blue. I use it in the model on 2 occasions and it's really needed to get the right look. So I had to find another solution to create the same effect. Using a "bracket 1x2 - 2x2 up" this time (in mint green here) and had to do a pretty complicate work around in order to get it at the same place for the same look (well, it may not look complicated anymore but trust me, it took around an hour of trying different solutions to find this one)

44682627590_a429508595_z.jpg

Edited by Barduck
typos

Finished the render of the CSX version, got to say, really like this color combination. Had to do some changes in parts but all in all, apart from the panel above, nothing difficult.

Notice that I had to change the top of the nose in black as the slopes needed don't exist in dark blue.

44685868020_88b85356f0_z.jpg

31562886617_0c658ff116_z.jpg

Edited by Barduck

13 minutes ago, Henry 991 said:

Very nice images. What app do you use for the renderings?

They're done in Studio 2.0, at resolution 4096x2304, front view in very high quality (takes an hour) and rear view in high quality (takes a half hour)

The Interstate (NS heritage) also finished (PDF and partlist still to make but checked for non-existing parts)

46454344832_3fbbf2c37f_z.jpg

32638503538_c605ac16c2_z.jpg

Edited by Barduck

the Interstate will be a little different than it is in this render. After some talking with Andy (OKBrickworks) we've decided to make the dark bluish grey part a plate thicker, so that the name is easier to make. It doesn't change a whole lot and the look stays about the same

2 out of 7 (and hopefully in time even more) are already on my bricklink: the Canadian Pacific and the Norfolk Southern. The rest will follow in the weeks to come. I'm also proud to announce that I'm also listing the sticker for them on my bricklink. These will be made by OKBrickworks at their know quality (thanks for all the help on these Andy)

edit:

And now the Union Pacific version is ready and on my Bricklink (this is my favourite and for the moment one of 2 I'm building my self, other one is the Interstate version)

Edited by Barduck

The work continues, the Conrail version is now ready and up on my bricklink. Next one is the NS heritage "INTERSTATE"

46079585594_de25309a26_z.jpgWIP ES44AC UP

Still missing a lot of bricks but now that I'm actually building her I can filter out problems more easily. expect updates to all instructions to be online very soon

Any chance of Iowa Interstate? (Could their Rock Island heritage unit possibly be done with brick-built striping?)

2 hours ago, steele said:

Any chance of Iowa Interstate? (Could their Rock Island heritage unit possibly be done with brick-built striping?)

Do you mean this one:

https://www.google.be/search?q=iowa+interstate+es44ac&client=safari&channel=iphone_bm&prmd=ivsn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjc_9mR9fvfAhUIPFAKHd45DJ4Q_AUoAXoECA4QAQ&biw=375&bih=553&dpr=2#imgrc=CPrBCaZ2AqdsIM

From first glance it may be possible although the white stripe is very thin. There will be stickers to mask places where it’s impossible to brickbuild the stripe, that’s sure. I’ll have to look in to it but all ready got a lot on my plate with current fleet (have to correct the problems I found on all 6 that are already online and have the BNSF version to finish. And then there’s the CN and Orange County versions I have to look at), so it’ll take a bit of time (still have a day job, well night job actually, besides LEGO)

Edited by Barduck
Typos

Hello,

I purchased the UP instructions from Barduck. I will start building it when I have completed my current project.

Where dick you get those flag stickers? They look real good.

best, Henry

28 minutes ago, Henry 991 said:

Hello,

I purchased the UP instructions from Barduck. I will start building it when I have completed my current project.

Where dick you get those flag stickers? They look real good.

best, Henry

You can either order them on my Bricklink or send a mail to OKBrickWorks to get them.