Hey there. I've searched off and on over the past few months, and I've failed to come up with a good answer for this. Aside from the Bucket Wheel Excavator (42055), do we know which technic sets are more or less scaled to be used with minifigs? Almost every search I've found on google is actually talking about the old technic figures, which for the purposes of this topic I'm not interested in. I personally think it would be pretty neat if we had more of these sets that have technic complexity while also being something that might be able to fit in as a larger model used in a system setting, but at the same time I'm not quite aware of which ones are sized correctly among the already released sets.

Secondary to making a list of official technic sets that fit the scale, it would be interesting to see what MOCs others have come up with.

To clarify, I'm looking at sets such as the BWE that use primarily use technic elements for the build. This can include mindstorms builds, but more system--esque builds that only make minor use of technic peaces (such as the connector pegs to join the lego creator buildings) are not being looked at for this discussion.

Edited by Elana-chan

The only helpful advice I can gave based on scale of technic models is "reference" based on size if seat (and tires in this combination). They are varies scale; example Arocs is (based on chassis width) 1:16.5, Xerion and Mack are 1:20 scale (based on tire size), Unimog U 400 is 1:12.5 based on tire size... It is actually complicated subject ?

9 minutes ago, Elana-chan said:

do we know which technic sets are more or less scaled to be used with minifigs?

8480 Space Shuttle is one that comes to mind :classic:

I have a feeling that starting with 42023: Construction Crew in 2014, LEGO have been consistently and I think deliberately releasing Technic sets that were more or less minifig-scale:

Some other ones I am not so sure about, but they would fit a minifig too. I think LEGO are trying to make the move from System to Technic as seamless as possible by making many entry-level Technic sets more or less to scale with City or Creator sets.

I highly doubt LEGO would ever consider making a move to shift to Technic from System. System will ever be present.

38 minutes ago, Megamech said:
2 hours ago, imvanya said:

I think LEGO are trying to make the move from System to Technic as seamless as possible

I highly doubt LEGO would ever consider making a move to shift to Technic from System. System will ever be present.

No, you're right, I definitely did not mean that :classic: What I actually meant by "the move from System to Technic" was that at some point parents, or even younger LEGO fans themselves, consider getting Technic sets instead of System ones. In this context having minifig-scale Technic sets could make them more appealing.

Of course, Technic and System have been combined in other themes, like Ninjago and Star Wars, for a very long time, Technic pieces being used to enable interesting functions and transformations, or simply to create a compact, yet sturdy framework for larger structures. But when you have a 6-wide City truck and a 7-wide Technic truck with working steering, or crane, or any other function, at some point you might start thinking "What if I try to fit these functions into City sets?". @ER0L has done something similar (see below), as many others have, I am sure, and pretty much everyone at the Trains subforum combine Technic and City in the PF trains.

Overall, I think that having System and Technic sets in similar scale is a good idea because it creates a situation where you don't have to choose between the subsystems and can explore both at the same time. In my opinion, it is very useful for AFOLs to be aware of the full spectrum of what LEGO has to offer, because sometimes a System piece in a Technic MOC or vice versa makes all the difference.

OK, i'm starting to ramble here, hope that this makes some sense :wink: