robert

Reverse engineering of MOC's

Hi all,

I love Lego technic and I love this forum. I like to build using instructions, both from LEGO itself and from the very talented MOCcers around here.

If someone posts a beautifull MOC, I like to reverse engineer the MOC. "Solving the puzzle" is the challenge I like, using both real life bricks and digital building techniques. I also learnt myself to create instructions using LPub3D.

In that way I recreated the garbage truck, build by Waler:

My latest project is the Case Steiger, build by dhc6twinotter:

I rebuild the MOC both in real life and digital: Case Steiger screenshot

And now I have a question.

I like to share my work, the digital files and the instructions for anyone else to enjoy building these MOC's.

What do you think about sharing these reverse engineerd files? The MOC's are not mine.

Gr, Robert

Personally im 100% fine with it, even if the original designer was selling the instructions, your instructions (Assuming they are reverse engineered from just photos), are not necessarily the same, and as long as you dont seek profit from them, i wouldnt see the harm in that.

Copying someone elses instructions and claiming credit, or selling them is another matter

Im sure other will disagree though, i think some people take this stuff too seriously, but that is just my opinion

I think that your goal is to solve the puzzle so why should you give the solved puzzle to others?, people like you will want to have fun solving it.

2 hours ago, jorgeopesi said:

I think that your goal is to solve the puzzle so why should you give the solved puzzle to others?, people like you will want to have fun solving it.

Because other people may want it. I’m not really sure it’s an important question.

Edited by Bartybum

You could ask each creator if they are ok with you releasing instructions for your version of their MOC.  If they are selling instructions and you're giving away your version for free, you'll be taking some money away from them.  That could create some bad blood if they're making good money. Granted most individuals won't have the resources to take legal action against you unless they are live in the same legal jurisdiction. Small claims court is inexpensive.

If the original MOC builder sells instructions, I'd choose to be on the safe side and not do free instructions for them. In all other cases, I think there's little to fear for.

Maybe you could search for people who have built models you like, but aren't themselves good at making instructions. Then, it's a win-win situation.

4 hours ago, dr_spock said:

You could ask each creator if they are ok with you releasing instructions for your version of their MOC.  If they are selling instructions and you're giving away your version for free, you'll be taking some money away from them.  That could create some bad blood if they're making good money. Granted most individuals won't have the resources to take legal action against you unless they are live in the same legal jurisdiction. Small claims court is inexpensive.

This is great advice, ask with the designer first, just in case. Most of them will probably say yes.

3 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

Maybe you could search for people who have built models you like, but aren't themselves good at making instructions. Then, it's a win-win situation.

This would be ideal. Not all of us are good at making instructions (I know I'm not), but would really like to see our models built by others. 

Like yourself Robert I do like solving the puzzles, though I really do suck at making instruction's or just do not have the time, however if credit for the MOC is given to the original creator I can't see it being a issue or even a polite Email to ask if its ok, if you where to release instructions.

Some people cannot solve the puzzles ( some are just not wired the right way ) and it is always interesting to see other peoples build technics ( excuse the pun )

I personally don't have a issue with reverse engineering other people's work for your own model, to understand how a MOC works or just for the enojyment of solving a puzzle. But I think it's right to credit the original creater when uploading photos/CAD images on the internet (e.g. Eurobricks, YouTube ect).
However, as others have said, I would ask the original creater before releasing/publishing your instructions, either for free or for a fee. Its just a respect thing to others in the comminity.

When it comes to paid instructions I think it’s probably a grey area, and it’s best not to stir drama by giving away your reverse engineering. Although, if it’s sufficiently different I think it would be fine.

As others have said, the obvious solution is simply to ask the model creator before making such material public.  I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want to do that - it's just good manners.  It's highly likely that the creator would agree, and then everyone is happy!

On 12/26/2018 at 3:43 PM, aeh5040 said:

As others have said, the obvious solution is simply to ask the model creator before making such material public.  I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want to do that - it's just good manners.  It's highly likely that the creator would agree, and then everyone is happy!

I agree with aeh5040. Ask for permition and you shall receive gratitude and clearance in most cases I think. Selling reverse enigineered instructions is a NO NO for me, unless the author of the MOC agrees.

Edited by MajklSpajkl