iammac

Introducing..... the JUMPER BRACKET!

Hello all,

I was over at Brickset reading a review for an unreleased set, and the author, iso3200, expressed the need for some action on our part.

No pun intended, it's a new part that we need to name. So new, it's not yet in the Bricklink inventory. Here it is:

45670624054_62fdba22ee_b.jpg

It's those dark bluish grey ones, which are currently being called "2x2 tile modified with 1x2 vertical bracket."

I know, I know, what a mouthful. :grin:

So here's my suggestion. To further slanguage the AFOL community and save us all on jaw-massages, why don't we just call these pieces JUMPER BRACKETS! :wub:

So iso3200, if you're reading this, maybe the Eurobricks community can help you out with naming this pretty unique (and useful looking) piece.

MAC

Post Script: I swear on my AFOL honor that I have no interest in the Minecraft line. :look: So don't come after me in droves.

It has already been seen in the Corner Garage set as well.

Why jumper bracket? The jumper name is given to plates that have less (hollow) studs than stud holes, because they allow for purposedly fragile connections. I don't see how it's the case here. It's even the opposite as brackets are used to strenghten builds (when not just changing directions).

This part is comparable to a very, very old one, so it'll probably be bracket 2x2, 1x2

14134.png

Edited by anothergol

2 hours ago, anothergol said:

...The jumper name is given to plates that have less (hollow) studs than stud holes, because they allow for purposedly fragile connections...

I thought it was because they allow you to "jump" the 1/2 stud gap between 2 studs?

This plate doesn't seem to do that so I think "T tile" or "bracket tile" as the base has no studs.

9 hours ago, iammac said:

It's those dark bluish grey ones, which are currently being called "2x2 tile modified with 1x2 vertical bracket."

Yeah, non-descript and confusing like 90% of Bricklink's weird parts classification. Calling it a "bracket" is probably wrong to begin with, though, and a "jumper bracket" technically it is not, anyway. It doesn't "jump" studs, as the elements on the vertical section basically still appear aligned with the horizontal studs similar to bricks with sideway studs.

Mylenium

23 hours ago, Mylenium said:

Calling it a "bracket" is probably wrong to begin with

It totally is a bracket, it can't even be argued

On 12/24/2018 at 10:45 AM, ukbajadave said:

I thought it was because they allow you to "jump" the 1/2 stud gap between 2 studs?

mmh yeah, looks like another accepted definition. I don't know...

When I was a kid, I think I first met jumpers in this set, where they were already used for a purposedly fragile connection (AND half stud shift too at the front). But of course the part is older than that, one will have to check how it was initially used.
(this set also shows 2 of the oldest brackets btw)

d4e4o5g414f4w5w5n4z5m44426a4k4l4y5v2w5o4

Bricker lists it in a 1974 set, BUT with the wrong images and it's probably a mistake, especially when the part doesn't appear anymore until 1978, so I would assume that the part appeared in 1978. And that year it appeared in a lot of sets, for both purposes, so.. who even knows..

Edited by anothergol

Even LEGO is not consistent with the naming - although they do not use the term bracket at all. These "brackets" all have different keywords: PLATE WITH PLATE UPWARDS, ANGULAR PLATE, ANGLE PLATE:

tZFkLne.pngcklQawY.png9ZNRPme.png

This one is officially know as:

n9Lx7M4.png

PLATE WITH VERT TUBE.

It is interesting to note that the key piece in naming it is the 1x2 plate, not the 2x2 tile part.

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 3:39 AM, MAB said:

This one is officially know as:

n9Lx7M4.png

PLATE WITH VERT TUBE.

It is interesting to note that the key piece in naming it is the 1x2 plate, not the 2x2 tile part.

What stood out to me from the way part 41682 is depicted is the orientation, and that the part has no hollow studs.  From looking through other brackets, as well as snot bricks, it seems that every time a part has studs facing in multiple directions, the studs that are not facing up are hollow.  This might be easier to manufacture, but could also be to avoid the extra depth that results from the LEGO printing on a typical stud, since it would be problematic if the sideways studs were placed against the face of a neighboring brick.  The only parts listed on Bricklink or Peeron as brackets that have solid studs facing sideways are 3956 and 4169.  Part 4169 seems to have been a fairly specialized part that would unlikely to be built against the face of a brick, and seems to have been effectively replaced by 2422.  Part 3956 has the part number printed beneath / opposite of the studs, and typically the part number is on the underside of a part, so it seems to me that the orientation that Bricklink and Peeron depict for 3956 would actually be incorrect, and the solid studs should face up instead of sideways.

As for what effect this would have on the naming of part 41682, I think that referring to the 1x2 plate first would be proper, for the sake of being consistent, rather than just because TLG referenced it this way.  So, instead of the current Bricklink name of "Bracket 2 x 2 - 1 x 2 Centered", I would suggest "Bracket 1 x 2 - 2 x 2 Centered", since Bricklink does not seem to make any distinction for studs or tubes on the bracket face.  Alternatively, the name could be extended to "Bracket 1 x 2 - 2 x 2 Tile Centered", or part 6061 could be used as a naming reference, to come up with "Bracket 1 x 2 - 2 x 2 with Holes on Side Centered".  For either of these latter methods parts 3956 and 4598 might warrant renaming as well.