obijon

[MOC] MINI Raddus MC85 Cruiser (Ep. VIII)

HI again everyone

The final bricklink order I needed has arrived and as hinted at in the Profundity topic here is the Raddus from The Last Jedi. 

I actually started building this before the Profundity but with all the tinkering and rebuilds it has taken longer.

As with most of my builds a certain piece defines the build and it is then built form there.  For the Raddus it was the wedge for the nose (as discussed in the Profundity topic).  The piece does not come in light bluish or dark bluish grey, so I have used flat silver.  It works fine so no major problem.

From the front I have used wedges and slopes to create the main section of the hull with the main section being 4 studs wide tapering back to 2 studs wide before the engine section using the 10x1 curved slopes.  These slopes have been attached using headlight bricks through the middle of the model so the model is not wider than the wedge at the front.

I have also managed to build the engine cluster at the back and have used 1x1 trans-blue plates for the hangar on either side near the front.

The model flows quite nicely from front to back but as with most Mon Calamari vessels it is very difficult to get the curved shape completely right with LEGO, especially in such a small scale.  I am not 100% happy with this model but I think I have got most of the details in and I am not sure what else I could change without losing the overall feel.   Compromises have to be made in this scale after all.

I also think the Vice Admiral Holdo figure looks cool next to the finished model.

Let me know what you think and Merry Christmas to all!

Jon

raddus1.jpegraddus2.jpegraddus3.jpegraddus4.jpegraddus5.jpegraddus6.jpegraddusdisplay.jpeg

Many thanks guys.

You would think that there would be room for micro fighters and planets sets. Aimed at different demographic after all. Sigh.

I know it feels bad to get low amount of feedback. Be it positive or negative, more feedback is always better. 

It is hard to write something about this MOC, though. It is okay. It certainly looks like Raddus. Color blocking is a bit patchy, perhaps having all pieces in one colour would work better but it doesn't change the general outlook.
The thing is, Raddus is a boring ship from a less than ideal movie, where all it did was first give some plot armor and then serve as deus ex machina. Its design itself is quite boring, too. There is a reason everybody is building Star Destroyers, mean floating triangles of imperial destruction, and not MonCals which are patchy featureless cigar-shaped ships. This design naturally follows to our MOCing medium and it shows. You also built patchy featureless cigar-shaped ship. You did this, because it is what it is supposed to be, so it is a job well done. But whatever you do it will be boring.

Now, it is actually possible to make it not boring and put into some more context. Make a Finalizer star destroyer in similar scale. Show them together. Then people who have even vague knowledge about StarWars will be like "Aha! This is the bad guys ship, so the other one must be the good guys one!".

Edited by Jerac

38 minutes ago, Jerac said:

I know it feels bad to get low amount of feedback. Be it positive or negative, more feedback is always better. 

I'm member in a different forum using the same software, but with more features activated. You can 'like' a post with the other options 'thanks', 'sad', 'confused' and 'haha'. It's a quick and easy way to give feedback without writing a comment and i often refrain from writing, because i don't want to SPAM too much (and i feel guilty for commenting so much without doing an own MOC). Maybe other members think the same, thus the low feedback rate. You can give feedback on ancient posts without bumping 'em and the OP get's a notification. Win-win-win-situation.

@obijon Love all your minis. Watched the movie yesterday (again) and i think this is spot on for its size. I wonder how it'd look with @darththeling's Supremacy. I see a hyperspace-jump-MOC, but lack the bricks and building talent.

12 hours ago, Jerac said:

there is a reason everybody is building Star Destroyers, mean floating triangles of imperial destruction, and not MonCals which are patchy featureless cigar-shaped ships. 

Star destroyers are also pretty boring in this scale - anyone can build a triangle!  :grin:  And I have built star destroyers - the Dreadnought for example.  Sometimes it is about building something you have not built before regardless of difficulty or the source material. That is the challenge.

You also built patchy featureless cigar-shaped ship. You did this, because it is what it is supposed to be, so it is a job well done. But whatever you do it will be boring.

thanks, I think. :wink:

Now, it is actually possible to make it not boring and put into some more context. Make a Finalizer star destroyer in similar scale. Show them together.

But a finalizer in this scale would be a much larger model.  Maybe the same length but it would also be 20+ studs wide too.  Not my style.  It would not fit with the rest of my models for a start and I don't have that many pieces.  I tend to build small prototypes with whatever pieces I have available (sometimes i "borrow" some of my 6yo's pieces) then bricklink the right pieces and colours.

Then people who have even vague knowledge about StarWars will be like "Aha! This is the bad guys ship, so the other one must be the good guys one!".

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't this a Star Wars forum? :laugh:

11 hours ago, m4st3rt3ch said:

I'm member in a different forum using the same software, but with more features activated. You can 'like' a post with the other options 'thanks', 'sad', 'confused' and 'haha'. It's a quick and easy way to give feedback without writing a comment and i often refrain from writing, because i don't want to SPAM too much

I have been building and sharing for near 20 years so if this really bothered me i would stop sharing.  The thumbs up is a good idea though.  In the old days on the FBTB forums a craze started of marks out of 10 in feedback which really did not help.  eg 2 out of 10 with no constructive feedback is useless.  If you think something is bad say why and how things can be improved.  

11 hours ago, m4st3rt3ch said:

Love all your minis. Watched the movie yesterday (again) and i think this is spot on for its size. I wonder how it'd look with @darththeling's Supremacy. I see a hyperspace-jump-MOC, but lack the bricks and building talent.

Thanks very much -glad you enjoy them.  With regards to a Supremacy in that scale I have neither the bricks nor the space for such a display. The other half moans about the MINIs in my display cabinet already!

I could do something with photoshop with this I suppose:

That's an amazing model !

I love what you did on such a small scale, especially with the shapes, that's why I generally prefer smaller scales, it's much more interesting to see what you can do with such limitations.

Keep up the good work :)

supremacyvsraddus.jpg

On 12/28/2018 at 8:57 AM, Jerac said:

Now, it is actually possible to make it not boring and put into some more context. Make a Finalizer star destroyer in similar scale. Show them together. Then people who have even vague knowledge about StarWars will be like "Aha! This is the bad guys ship, so the other one must be the good guys one!".

Or The Supremacy...... ;-)

Edited by obijon