Sign in to follow this  
BrickbyBrickTechnic

[TC15] Fairey Rotodyne (video!)

On 1/4/2019 at 3:46 PM, nerdsforprez said:

Which part exactly?  In essence, I am sticking up for the model saying I think its great! Steph's comment seems to acknowledge accurate proportions relative to the real thing, but the real thing is ugly and disproportionate so overall the build is ugly and disproportionate.  I am arguing that if the build mirrors the real thing, but the real thing is off the the overall build is a success and voters should consider this.   If I attempt to replicate something ugly and I do so perfectly then my replication should be ugly as well, but beautiful and accurate in its replication.  Upshot: you replicated the ugliness very well in this model!  that might sound odd and a mouthful but it is meant to be a compliment!  :wink:

Ahh, I get it now. Thank you very much! I guess in your other post I didn't really get the tone, that's all.

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 12:22 AM, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Thanks, Steph. I'm no plane guy, so question: how are the proportions bad on the real plane? Are the wings too short? Fuselage? 

IMHO, there Is something looking wrong in this aircraft. It's linked to the weight repartition.

Your model seems to be really too heavy in the front area.

To be able to lift up a copter has to have his center of gravity just and exactly on an axle passing through the center of the main rotor.

Where is the center of gravity on your model?

On 1/4/2019 at 3:22 PM, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

how are the proportions bad on the real plane? Are the wings too short? Fuselage?

Why don't you find out for yourself?

Here's a website with a scale drawing for the prototype and production variant of the aircraft. You can copy the image's URL and use sariel's model scaler to check your proportions. You could start by defining the length [studs] (or whatever dimension you want) and see how the other dimensions compare.

Edited by Beck

On 1/6/2019 at 1:05 PM, Beck said:

Here's a website with a scale

Thanks for the resource Beck, I'll be sure to look at it.

On 1/6/2019 at 3:52 AM, steph77 said:

Where is the center of gravity on your model?

It is towards the front, in fact. When on the landing gear with no faux wheel deployed in the back, the wings bend forward, as do the landing gear.

I think it would be beneficial to fix these errors, so i likely will.

Edited by BrickbyBrickTechnic

The plane is finished! 

In order to optimize the proportions given the way I have built the plane, I extended the back by 4 studs, and the result is a much more balanced looking plane. The rest of the modifications were minor:

• Extended tail(s) down by 2 studs to better match the real plane
  • Added some white to the cockpit for better accuracy
  • Patched up the wings
  • Extended the rotors to better match their size to the fuselage relative to the real plane
  • Built a stand containing a motor to motorize the propellers

No more talking! JUst pictures!

P.S I have 1 last build session to make any modifications. Speak now or forever hold your peace!

20190113_08360520190113_08361820190113_08364420190113_08361320190113_08371220190113_08365520190113_083636

That's all! thanks to all who supported the project. I look forward to the conclusion of this contest!

Final pics and video to follow.

BbBT

looks good.

I would have make more stiffen support for the blades.

As they are somehow articulated with swashplate, a 2 points support setup could be a good idea.

with this extra support they would bend a little more:)

for the global model: Way better proportions!

Just a visual design question: is it possible to replace those black axles in between the 2L LBG axle connectors in the wings with LBG axles?

I must admit that you made very realistic replica if this awful thing.

Very good job :thumbup:

6 hours ago, pagicence said:

Just a visual design question: is it possible to replace those black axles in between the 2L LBG axle connectors in the wings with LBG axles?

Totally! Shouldn't be a problem.

On 1/13/2019 at 8:29 AM, steph77 said:

looks good.

I would have make more stiffen support for the blades.

As they are somehow articulated with swashplate, a 2 points support setup could be a good idea.

with this extra support they would bend a little more:)

for the global model: Way better proportions!

Thanks! You being a master aircraft builder, I really appreciate all your feedback. I'll be sure to add the rotor support.

6 hours ago, I_Igor said:

I must admit that you made very realistic replica if this awful thing.

Very good job :thumbup:

thank you!

@steph77 and @pagicence the fixes which you suggested have been applied.

@Jim could the entry topic get opened? Whatever follows this text is what I wish to put in my entry post. 

FAIREY ROTODYNE

Blast through the skies with this accurate replica of a historical plane!

The Fairey Rotodyne is a combination of a helicopter and a plane produced by the British Fairey Aviation and was intended for military and commercial uses. It could fly at a decent speed, carry a good deal of passengers. So why did it never reach commercialization? It was too loud. And as a result of its 106 decibels, it remains a museum artifact.

2019-02-02-19-30-21

My model attempts to recreate this plane. This model uses around 1200 parts and was built with functions in mind. I managed to cram in 7 functions, by hollowing out the fuselage to the best of my abilities. 

Functions

• Spinning rotors
    • These can be manual, or operated by an external motor located in the plane's stand.
  • Landing gear
    • There are 3 wheels, each separately operated, and a 4th faux wheel to help with weight distribution.
  • Propellers variable pitch
    • Operated via a gear on the side of the plane
  • Rudders
    • Operated via a gear on the back of the plane
  • Main rotors variable pitch -> left to right, front to back
    • Operated by one to 2 two-axis joysticks found in the cabin
  • Ailerons
    • Operated via one of 2 two-axis joysticks in the cabin
  • Elevators (elevons)
    • Operated via one of 2 two-axis joysticks in the cabin

This model also has looks in mind, however. A lot of time was spent creating subtle angles and assuring that proportions were correct.

Video

Pictures

2019-02-02-19-32-242019-02-02-19-33-02 (1)

Link to discussion topic:

That's all. This build has been marvelously fun for me and I hope you enjoy the final product.

BbBT

5 hours ago, pagicence said:

You are right, I really enjoyed it. I really like all the commands and moving parts.

Awesome, thanks! i'm really glad you like it.

Very nice model of a very unusual plane/copter/flying thing...:grin:

You've really managed to put a lot of controls and functions in there! Nice touch with the motorization from the display stand. And very nice video presentation.

All in all: great contest entry! Good luck in final voting!

good build :thumbup:

The only unsignificant little thing i see in your build is that the swashplate movement are inverted compared to the respective joystick position.

That is not that important thought.

BTW, if your model was build in real life, the front action on the stick would make your airplane go … to the left side :wink: (physics bizzarery named gyroscopical precession).

Strong entry!

Edited by steph77

10 hours ago, Rudivdk said:

Very nice model of a very unusual plane/copter/flying thing...:grin:

9 hours ago, steph77 said:

good build :thumbup:

Thank you both so much! Both of you gave this project much needed constructive criticism. Without your help, it would not be what it is. It would be very disproportionate and inaccurate.

Cheers and thank you once again! :classic:

You've turned an ugly duckling into something of a swan. Very nice job. 

Good luck in the competition.

15 hours ago, grum64 said:

You've turned an ugly duckling into something of a swan. Very nice job. 

Good luck in the competition.

Thanks so much Grum! I'm glad you like it. 

Thanks for uploading the final video. The design and features are really nice.

This is going to be a tough competition, I like a lot of the MOCs.

10 hours ago, nigel1975 said:

Thanks for uploading the final video. The design and features are really nice.

This is going to be a tough competition, I like a lot of the MOCs.

Thanks Nigel! You're totally right, this competition will be tough. There are lots of great entries.

Edited by BrickbyBrickTechnic

Beautiful build - very impressive.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Fairey Rotodyne an autogyro (or gyrocopter)?

As an autogyro it would not have pitch control of the individual rotor blades (either collective or cyclic). An autogyro only has control of the tilt of the entire 'disc', both lateral and longitudinal which is what makes them such a simple flying machine - no complex rotor head.

On 2/19/2019 at 5:27 PM, sebathorus said:

Awesome build and very nice looking model!

Thank you!

6 hours ago, bodmin said:

Beautiful build - very impressive.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Fairey Rotodyne an autogyro (or gyrocopter)?

As an autogyro it would not have pitch control of the individual rotor blades (either collective or cyclic). An autogyro only has control of the tilt of the entire 'disc', both lateral and longitudinal which is what makes them such a simple flying machine - no complex rotor head.

Thanks! The Fairey Rotodyne is an autogyro. My model only has cyclic control (so the lateral and longitudinal tilting of the disc).