Sign in to follow this  
Ayrlego

[COR Dec FB4] Watchtower on Lake Myzec

Hundreds of years ago, when the Myzec civilisation battled man-eating cats on the Isle of Cascadia; one of the many defences for the human population was a series of stone watch towers of the same basic design. Many of these towers were built all over the jungles of Cascadia with the duel purpose of defending against both man and feline. When Colonel Sir Dirk Allcock visited Myzectlan, he even explored one in the area leading up to the secret waterfall entrance to the hidden valley of the Myzec! Within the valley itself, the defence against felines is less of a priority as the cats rarely penetrate the surrounding mountain peaks to entry the hidden valley. Nevertheless, some of these towers were constructed, especially around Lake Myzec where the civilisations maize supply is grown in 'floating islands' or chinampas.

46416774831_d04e7a6af8_c.jpg

Here a seasoned Myzec warrior instructs two citizens in archery practice.

It's been a productive month so far although I find myself now away from my bricks for three weeks (it may not slow me down too much though as I am just putting the finishing touches on a digital Myzec build tonight!). This build was finished last weekend, although I ended up tearing apart the base and starting again during last week. I decided to return to the brighter lime green landscape than the olive I used in the boat yard as I preferred the brighter finish.  I am really enjoying the Aztec flavour of the Myzec at the moment, especially referencing other builders previous builds and ideas to create the civilisation! I'll probably license as a fort somewhere down the track, although not just yet.

Awesome tower! I like switching between topics and viewing your overgrown build and then seeing this one. Nice to see the transition between "dirty" tower and this clean one. The architecture is great and drips with Aztec-ness. I also prefer the lime green to the olive green in your Aztec builds. The colors pops more and gives the build a more alive and tropical feel, whereas olive green feels more "dead" or dry to me in this context.

You're definitely on a roll!  Not sure why, but those 1x1 light grey tiles for the pathway really catch my eye - not something I've seen too often, usually it's round tiles or larger squares, but this looks really good!  I also really like the "dummies," dark tan works super well!

Interesting idea.  Impeccably built of course but I am not sure how I feel about it. There are some aspects that echo a pyramidal architecture I'd expect find, but still very narrow and "European looking".  I think if you had made the bottom tier wider by two lugs, and then the middle tier also by two lugs, so you had slopes between each floor, it would "fit" my vision better. 

Completely my opinion though and as I said it was very well built and photographed as per your usual standard.

I agree with the AoE recognizers, AoE II (the conquerors) has always been a huge inspiration for me to build and I can see the Aztec watch tower in this build :pir_laugh2: Very cool

Really good build, a well designed scene. :thumbup:

I like the colour choices and overall design decisions. The training scene gives an excellent "secondary focus" to look at.

My only complaint has nothing to do wit the build, but with the background concept itself: a watchtower is pretty useless to oversee cats. Have you ever lived with one? They can disappear on a flat surface in broad daylight! :pir-grin:

Maybe - just maybe - a tower might help during day hours, but at night you will see nothing of any cat from above there...

It looks so.... durable. Like it could stand there for centuries without taking much harm. Which is fantastic. The amount of design-elements is just right.

I just LOVE this architectural style. Thanks for giving me something to copy in my most recent build.

You have definitely mastered the tower on irregular base concept, again. I agree, it looks very durable. But for some reason I find myself wanting more vegetation... Good build anyway.