Challenge II: Bread and Circuses

Preludes:

The Queen's Council

The Long Discussion

Always Be Willing to Lend a Helping Shove

Kaliphlin Talk

Northern Conversation

Historica lives again...

Historica has been hard at work rebuilding as the era of civil war comes to an end.  But more needs to be rebuilt than just buildings - families, friendships, and loyalties of all kinds have been heavily strained.  Today, Queen Ylspeth calls upon all citizens of Historica to relax, to celebrate, and to really enjoy life after the hardship and agony of the past years.

Category A: Bread

Starvation and want have run rampant through the guilds.  While the fertile fields of Varlyrio may still be growing strong and areas of Avalonia are producing record crops, many places are still just barely surviving.  Queen Ylspeth, out of her own treasury, is buying surplus grain and redistributing it to more needy areas of the guilds.  Many other nobles and leaders are following her example and providing for their cities and followers.

Your task: Show the efforts of the Queen, her lieutenants, or another leader to bring basic necessities of life to needy areas of your guild.

Maximum size: 20x20

Category B: Circuses

It's time to take a break Historica!  Relax and remember what life was about before mayhem broke loose.  Have another dance around the maypole, a jolly evening courtesy of the royal cellar, or an exciting day cheering at the ostrich races.  Whatever your town specializes in, make it happen this circus season!

Your task: Build the greatest show that's been seen in your guild since the royal tour of Book I!

Maximum size: 64x64

Category C: Plot and Counterplot

Now you've heard the Queen's pitch.  Your representatives at the royal council might tell you that she took the advice of her foreign adviser, N'ri, in defiance of anything they said to the contrary.  They might tell you that your support is being bought with charity and clown shows.  They might warn you that Avalonia is getting rich at the expense of the royal treasury, or that dissenting nobles are being shut down with ruinous taxes.  What is really going on?  Is Bread and Circuses as innocent as it seems?

Your task: Show the back alleyways of Historican politics.  Are Kaliphlinians getting bribed?  Are Varlyrians landing rich contracts?  Are Avalonians having food confiscated to help "needy" Mitgardian millionaires?

Maximum size: 32x32

General Rules

Scoring:
Builds will be scored on build quality, presentation, and photography with bonus points to entries with original concepts or stories.  For all 3 Categories, a 1st and 2nd place will be selected.  Within these 6 winners, all 4 Guilds will have at least 1 winner (so 2 Guilds may have 2 winners, or 1 Guild may have 3 winners)

Rules:
One entry
per category per person.
Borders can exceed the maximum size restriction, within reason.
Maximum sizes can be varied as long as the build does not exceed the footprint of the given size restriction (e.g.: 32x64 instead of 48x48 is permissible).
No clone brands (Megablocks, KREO, etc) allowed, but 3rd party fig parts and accessories (Brickarms, Citizen Brick, etc.) are acceptable.
All entries should be posted in their own topic, with the title of: "CHALLENGE II: Category X: Name of your build".  Please also post a link to your topic here.

Deadline:
Entries due the end of the day on January 31st.

Prizes:
The Build with the highest score will win a copy of the Ideas Pop-up Book, or Lego Gift Card equivalent

(The larger build categories will be more likely to score the most points, but that is not always the case)

The next highest scored Build in a DIFFERENT CATEGORY will win a $25 Lego Gift Card

Great to have another challenge just in time for the first day of the Christmas break :thumbup:
I love that GoH is back to a good cadence on the challenges now, great job from the leadership and I hope you can keep this up!

Yessss! This is awesome! I'm at my parents now till end of the month = no bricks :sceptic: I cannot promise, but I should have some time in January to build it up - hopefully this time I'll manage with the deadline, it'd be the 1st time! :blush::blush:

Whatevere the case, well done everyone with the preludes and organisation, I love it! :thumbup::thumbup:@Rogue Angel@Henjin_Quilones@Kai NRG@soccerkid6

13 hours ago, Rogue Angel said:

Deadline:
Entries due the end of the day on January 31st.

So, if I have a last final on the 30th, that means I've got 24 hours to complete a build. Yippie :laugh: 

Also, some great challenge categories, good job guys :thumbup:

Very fun challenge. I really like the third category as well, since it breaks up the tempo of the other two and makes this (as a stage of Historica's grand story) multi-dimensional.

Nice one! Interesting categories.

One question: do we have to build in our own guild? For example, in Category A could we show Varlyrian merchants giving away free food in another guild? In category B could we show our character's visiting the entertainment in another guild? Etc

2 hours ago, Basiliscus said:

Nice one! Interesting categories.

One question: do we have to build in our own guild? For example, in Category A could we show Varlyrian merchants giving away free food in another guild? In category B could we show our character's visiting the entertainment in another guild? Etc

That is perfectly fine.

Also:

You can enter multiple categories

You can only win in one category, even if you would have multiple builds scoring the highest in different categories. (which will be determined by points, or our discretion if you were to have multiple contending entries.)

3 minutes ago, Rogue Angel said:

That is perfectly fine.

Also:

You can enter multiple categories

You can only win in one category, even if you would have multiple builds scoring the highest in different categories. (which will be determined by points, or our discretion if you were to have multiple contending entries.)

Great, thanks for clarifying.

Given where my character arc is, I fancied doing something in the western half of Varlyrio with Mychel and Meiyo, but I also fancied doing something in one of the other guilds too with one of the other Conzaga family members.

Ploting againts the Queen isn't a wise decision? :D

Hm... this seems a little harsh... I just wanted to know, only againts guilds can be ploting, like the examples.

Edited by kahir88

3 hours ago, kahir88 said:

Ploting againts the Queen isn't a wise decision? :D

Well... the category is kind of geared towards an inside explanation of how the Queen is plotting (if she's plotting...).  So I'm not sure plotting against the Queen would make a whole lot of sense in the context.  But if you have a specific idea, feel free to run it by us!

Great! I’ll try to get building again as I’m now at least somewhat set up in the new house :excited:

A question, is it permitted to use an older build (which then would be renovated, etc) as part of one of the entries? For example a building that now has a theater-scene in front of it or something like that? 

Edited by adde51

And done! The hardest part for Cat B is finished. Now I need to add more details to the build, and ready to take pictures, video, and ready to upload! :wink:

In the western wastelands it is not uncommon to find a fighting pit like this one in Ilesole, where now a spectacular tournament of single combats to the death goes on to celebrate, strangely enough, the peaceas High queen Ylspeth desired:

45976269074_6e2f607ee3_c.jpg

Here is an entry into category B, and the first chapter to my saga, hope you like it! Photo links to the topic.

1280x875.jpg

Here is my entry into category C showing how the queen of Ilesole uses bread and circuses to her own advantage.  Click the photo to go to the topic and check out more shots or the story. 

Edited by W Navarre

My next entry, for the II.challenge! This time, category B, Circus

And befor I forget to mention: 59 brick long, and 20 brick wide

Edited by kahir88

On 1/12/2019 at 12:56 PM, W Navarre said:

Oh dear... I misread category A and thought the limit was 24x24! What can I do now?  Reworking it is almost impossible! 

You can probably submit it for scoring, but it would not be eligible for winning, and may get a small scoring penalty.