Hi everyone,

It might be a bit late to start a topic for the TC15 contest, but all my Lego time went up during the last few weeks to finish another moc.

ph-pxf-politie-dutch-police-eurocopter-ec135-p2-ec135-p2i_PlanespottersNet_330991_f5273ec516.jpg

I decided to start building this specific helicopter, beceause nobody has built this specific version in technic before and I quite love this one.

I am aiming for a compact replica of this helicopter with some basic features using powerfunctions and without the use of specific swashplate parts:

-Controlled main rotor and tail rotor by one M motor

-Controlled rotor blades (collective) by one M motor using a mini linear actuator

-The use of clutch gears for a safe build

-All powerfunctions shall be opperated via smartphone

This is where I want to start with and more manual functions can eventually be added later.

Here are some pictures of the wip (sorry for the poor quality)

IMG-0517.jpg

IMG-0518.jpg

IMG-0519.jpg

Let me know what you think!

Edited by T Lego

I think you're off to a very good start, but you're gonna have some problems with that tail rotor later. Just an IMO, I would love to see me proved wrong!

That's an iconic helicopter, I see these fly by regularly. Looks like your off to a good start, and the number of functions is doable in the time left.

Would be an interesting colorscheme if you intend to replicate the Dutch police version. The yellow ADAC livery also is great btw.

Edited by Rudivdk

4 hours ago, letsbuild said:

I think you're off to a very good start, but you're gonna have some problems with that tail rotor later. Just an IMO, I would love to see me proved wrong!

Thanks! I think I know what you are talking about regarding the tail rotor, but I have a solution in  mind.

4 hours ago, Rudivdk said:

That's an iconic helicopter, I see these fly by regularly. Looks like your off to a good start, and the number of functions is doable in the time left.

Would be an interesting colorscheme if you intend to replicate the Dutch police version.

I will try to replicate the white/blue color scheme, but I am not so sure about the orange stripes on the nose. I think I could only do that with stickers...

14 hours ago, T Lego said:

beceause nobody has built this one before.

:innocent:

I remember also one, which used blue wheelarches for rear part, I just can't find what it was exactly.

Today, I worked a little more on the helicopter. I started with the nose and I am realy happy how it turned out, since building round shapes is always very hard with Lego. I also came up with a simple, but detailed cockpit design. Let me know if you like it. Suggestions for improvements are appreciated!

IMG-0520.jpg

IMG-0521.jpg

IMG-0523.jpg

IMG-0524.jpg

Great build so far, but if you don't mind me complaining, your cabin look really squished in relation to the real deal. Maybe it should be taller by 2 or more studs.

Keep up the great work!

On 12/22/2018 at 1:02 PM, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Great build so far, but if you don't mind me complaining, your cabin look really squished in relation to the real deal. Maybe it should be taller by 2 or more studs.

Keep up the great work!

Thank you! I understand your complaint - I will try to make the nose longer.

Anyways I have made some progress on the fuselage. Especially on the rear end. I also managed to fit a PF reciever in the back so I can opperate the build with brickcontroller. The tail and the top of the heli will be, hopefully, built in dark azure. I just started experimenting with some panels to get the right shape.

IMG-0595.jpg

IMG-0597.jpg

IMG-0598.jpg

Let me know what you think and If you have any sugestions, let me know!

Hi,

It has been a while since the last update, beceause I had very little time to build. However today I worked a little more on the rear end. Now I need to figure out a way to connect the tail to the body. Let me know what you think!

IMG-0790.JPG IMG-0791.JPG

"Nobody has built one before" isn't quite accurate, although mine was not a Technic Model.

I'm enjoying seeing yours. It's built to a similar scale, but it being a Technic model gives it a very different aesthetic. I;m well im pressed at how you you can build such a complicated shape with Technic elements. The new cabin is definitely an improvement. I do think the undercarriage should be slightly wider. Looking at the picture of the real thing it's clear that the track of the skids is wider than the fuselage. I solved this by using 45 degree connectors for the supporting struts. That does mean that they're not properly angled just above the skids, but there had to be a compromise somewhere as they're curved on the real thing.

3 hours ago, Frequenzberater said:

Shaping is awesome! 

2 hours ago, Ralph_S said:

I'm enjoying seeing yours. It's built to a similar scale, but it being a Technic model gives it a very different aesthetic. I;m well im pressed at how you you can build such a complicated shape with Technic elements. The new cabin is definitely an improvement. I do think the undercarriage should be slightly wider. Looking at the picture of the real thing it's clear that the track of the skids is wider than the fuselage. I solved this by using 45 degree connectors for the supporting struts. That does mean that they're not properly angled just above the skids, but there had to be a compromise somewhere as they're curved on the real thing.

Thank you very much guys! 

To be honest I have not redesigned te cabin yet - It looks like I have beceause of the perspective. You are right about the skids, but it is will presumably not have much impact on the total look of the helicopter so I'll fix it when the rest is done. 

btw, I fergot to post the foto of the tail. I am still experimenting very much since it is a complicated shape. In this version I use the Chiron fenders to get the right curve. The tail rotor will be rotated using rubberbands. Let me know wether you like it or not and If you have any ideas about alternatives, let me know.

IMG-0792.JPG

This project has been fun to watch, and the Dark Azure looks great in the application.

Thanks for posting the tail, as this will be the trickiest part. I am partial to helicopters that have a non-traditional tail rotor, so I am interested to see how you do this. I would do without the Chiron panels. It focuses the eye on the arch, and not on the tail. Use these instead. Keep it simple.

+1 with @Thirdwigg

keep it simple.

I would try to simplify the front end too. The DBG flex are not that useful IMO.

good work for the next step :wink:

@Thirdwigg and @steph77 

I have followed your advice. I have now used these for the tale. I have also figuered a way out how I can rotate the tail rotor using the rubber bands. keeping everything clean and flush is very hard. If you guys have any suggestions on  allternatives/improvements, let me know!

AD214827-5F63-4944-8531-BB1FFB003FD9.jpeg 408CA494-EAFD-41A1-9073-1B76707C0886.jpeg

Glad to see some progress on this project, and I am happy to be of some help. I did a similar type of tail rotor on my Coast Guard Helicopter, and it may be helpful to mount the fan part on a gear assemble as it may be more reliable than the belt system. Again, if it can helpful, give it a try.

The Dark Azure really looks sharp.

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 10:06 PM, I_Igor said:

Dark azure and white is great combo. As @Thirdwigg said try using gears instead of "belt" 

I do not agree with this.

From a technical POV  @Thirdwigg is right, gears are a cleanest solution.

But on this particular project i think that the design aspect has to take the lead. The only issue to avoid is to get to much friction in the belt linkage system.

The second point is that they will not be a pitch control on this one, but it is not that bad i think.

Keep it up!

22 minutes ago, steph77 said:

I do not agree with this.

From a technical POV  @Thirdwigg is right, gears are a cleanest solution.

But on this particular project i think that the design aspect has to take the lead. The only issue to avoid is to get to much friction in the belt linkage system.

The second point is that they will not be a pitch control on this one, but it is not that bad i think.

Keep it up!

from my experience, belts tend to worn out very rapidly, that was the main reason for my suggestion :wink:

Of course, @T Lego has last word