Ayrlego

[Cor Dec FB3] Tower Battery, Port Woodhouse

With the planned large fortifications in Port Woodhouse taking far longer than expected to complete, small cannon batteries have been constructed at strategic points to provide defence against raids.

45661370584_836f240df5_c.jpg

Here one such battery stands on the crest of a small rise overlooking the approaches to the encourage. An officer inspects the day watch a regular intervals to ensure they remain diligent.

________

A long overdue fort for Port Woodhouse. Like I say IC, a larger one has been on my table for some time, I'm just seemingly never motivated to finish it... So in the meantime, here is something smaller! While technically it meets the size requirements for medium, it 'feels' like a small so I'm not sure yet what I'll go for. A surprising amount of effort went into the build - the top section is actually 5 bricks wide (based on this design) and I had to photograph it over multiple sessions because of the white on white (It's still not great, too white washed on the left side, but it's as good as it's going to get!) so I will probably go for medium...

What to say : another great one...

I'm out of comment about your builts sorry,  all of them are nearly perfect.

Henceforth I will just display a :thumbup: for your following ones except if you post a crap... but it's not for tomorrow

Wonderful build. I really like the texture you've created on the ground, and the SNOT bricks along the edges of the base to help with the elevation. Also, great job with the round bricks of the roof meeting at an angle! :thumbup:

I really enjoy your building style, and the tower is excellent. The way you have built the base is very good - I really should start experimenting with irregular, raised bases... :pir-sweet:

Upon closer inspection, I notice you have mixed tiles in between the studs on the ground, which works surprisingly well!

The small battery like this is reminiscent of our first batteries at King's Harbour - and not all fortifications needs to be large stone structures.

I really have only one gripe about this. The tower, while lovely, seems a bit odd for a fortification. I suppose it is meant as a watchtower, but then I think it would be more logical to have an open platform up top - keeping watch through those latticed windows would be quite ineffective! Alternatively, it could be a lighthouse, but again the windows would only allow light in some directions... But perhaps it is a directional light? So if you see the light, you are right in the fairway and can proceed safely? :pir-grin:

Nice battery with tower, the tower is narrowing with each level? 
The roof is very nicely done. but those gunners might like some cover to catch the return fire.

Bart

The offset on this fort is very effective!  I also really like the way you broke into the SNOT base with some looser sand on the left.  Good job blending the olive and tan with some darker and smoother tan in between!  The palm trees are a little more confusing for me though, with one almost directly behind the other in this shot.  Maybe a slightly different bend on one or the other would have helped it to look less like one palm tree with branches in the middle and on top.

Nice build Ayrlego, as usual. I really like your style of builds, and I really like how this one turned out. Great job especially on the roof, that's definitely my favorite part. 

Just really, really nice as usual. Fantastic tower, meeting the style you have set for port Woodhouse. Love it.

Please let me know once you have found a solution for white-on-white-photography - which I know the pain of as well. :-) 

I really like the overall look of this build. It definitely catches the eye. The base is well done and something I definitely need to learn. I always struggle with the edges whitening out on any light color so I feel your pain. Also as has already been noted, the mix of stud and tile really worked well for the ground. I shall have to try that in the future. 

As everyone has commented it is a really awesome build. I really liked the base and the palm tree. How did you get the roof of the tower to say at those angles? 

This is a beautiful build, but the presentation lets it down - not for effort, but the white-on-white look. My eyes want to dart back and forth between the base and the roof, with the tower mostly disappearing in between. I suspect it looks fantastic in person though.

The irregular base is beautifully done and you really populate it nicely with a few well-placed minifigs and cannons. The trees look nice apart from the viewing angle and of course both the tower and its roof are lovely.

I agree with @Bregir regarding the tower-fortification concept, but good build otherwise.