Holodoc

[Review] 40341 xtra sea accessories

DISCLAIMER
This set has been kindly provided by the CEE Team of TLG. Here’s my opinion about it. As I’m still not paid for this review you can expect an objective voice of an AFOL on the set. :grin:

46331741822_64f76e641b_z.jpg32510688488_2ded67600d_z.jpg

SET INFORMATION
Number: 40341
Title: sea accessories
Theme: xtra
Released: 2019
Part Count: 24 + 8 spares
Weight:  24 gram
Set Price (RRP): € 3,99
Price per Part: € 0,12
Links:
Brickset, Bricklink

You may have noticed the new xtra label when visiting a LEGO brand store or Legoland this year (I'm not sure if TLC sells it elsewhere in the wild). It’s a 2018's new subtheme which comes in polybags to complete or fill up your everyday LEGO city life. In the range there are three different playmats: 853840 Road Playmat, 853841 Sea Playmat and 853842 Park Playmat for 7,99€ each. Also we see Bicycles (40313), Streetlamps (40312), Traffic Lights (40311), Botanical Accessories (40310) and Food Accessories (40309) all of which are tagged 3,99 €/$

This set will be available from the 1st of January 2019 on.

This is what TLS advertises:

Add an ocean theme to your LEGO® creations with this LEGO xtra 40341 Sea Accessories set, featuring shark, parrot and fish figures and a selection of accessories including an oar, harpoon, surfboard and flippers. Also includes an opening seashell, empty barrel and a chest for storing the smaller accessories included with this set.

• LEGO® xtra Sea Accessories set includes a surfboard, opening shell, barrel, oar, harpoon, opening chest, treasure map and binoculars, plus shark, parrot and fish figures and a selection of LEGO elements.

• Bring new ocean-themed adventures to existing LEGO® sets.

• LEGO® xtra accessory sets are delivered in a sealed plastic bag.

Yep, and that’s pretty much it. :look:  There is no minifigs, just accessories.

Here are the parts:

31443431727_c749b8e0ec_z.jpg

Besides the parrot who is only available in Assembly Square so far (avg. price at Bricklink today 1,35€!!), nothing to get really excited about or with rarity / limited availability. All in all a nice selection of parts.

And the traditional leftovers, from which you can build a second harpoon, yay! :cry_happy::hmpf:

45659587464_30ffa0d072_n.jpg

There is one little problem though: You have to have sets or at least minifigures to fit this accessory pack to.

But where does it fit? It’s not clearly city, neither is it pirates. It’s something in between. :look:
Here's a go what can be done:

44565835470_0134582a51_b.jpg

The only currently available theme it will fit to is last years harbour subtheme.
And it really fits well with the ideas old fishing store! :wub:

32510712728_46c6864e53_b.jpg

FINAL

It’s unfair to rate this ‘set’ with the normal aspects of building experience, playability and so on. It’s just an accessory and it’s made fairly well for exact this purpose. :thumbup:

With less than 4 €/$ it’s good value for your money, easily afforable and a good addition to your cities beach/ocean layout. An it was fun to play around with the parts to make the photos! :grin:
If you don't have another reason, get it for the parrot!

Still my recommendation is limited to those who haven’t got a decent marine collection yet.
It is definitely not targeted at AFOLs! :laugh:

Great review Doc! :laugh:

It is actually a fun little set.

Nice set for getting some sharks. parrots, treasure. Spare parts are always a nice bonus on smaller sets like this.

I figure getting Even numbers of the bags will be the most logical in terms of number of Oars and Flippers.

Still good to see the theme running, and hope to see many more variations.

Edited by TeriXeri

Wonder why 2 harpoons but just one oar! So, yeah, getting even numbers might be preferable. Otherwise a perfect little addon, thank you for the review  @Holodoc :thumbup:

Nice review! There are many useful pieces included, but sadly I don't really see how it's going to fit in my collection...

Edited by Reaper

As a Pirates enthusiast (and active BotBS player) I am looking forward to finally getting this one... many times! Some of the "modern" parts can still be used for vegetational builds, and most of the pack is really "pirate-y". :thumbup:

21 hours ago, Capparezza said:

Wonder why 2 harpoons but just one oar! So, yeah, getting even numbers might be preferable. Otherwise a perfect little addon, thank you for the review  @Holodoc :thumbup:

Small parts frequently appear as extras/spares, and that is the case with the parts for the second harpoon, as stated in the review. The oar is probably above the weight threshold to appear as a spare in a set this small.

As far as the utility of the set goes, I feel like it works fine for modern-day settings… the pirate-y stuff could easily be put in an undersea shipwreck, for example, or as antiques like in the scene you created around the Old Fishing Store.

Overall, though, I think the beauty of the Xtra theme is in its lack of specificity to any one particular theme or subtheme. The design language of the animals in this one admittedly would look a bit out-of-place in a Friends or Elves display, but the other parts are just as suited to themes featuring minidolls, "fleshie" licensed minifigures, non-licensed minifigures, etc.

i hope that future Xtra sets are designed with a similarly diverse range of applications in mind. Compared to the old Service Packs, which often featured printed elements or molds particular to a then-current theme or subtheme, these feel like they benefit more from their lack of theme-specific branding and could have more long-term relevance.