Flavius Gratian

[MRCA Result] Trial of Bluebeard's pirate crew - King's Harbour Courthouse

During the last months, King's Harbour has continued to suffer pirate raids. Fortunatley for its citizens, the town's defences are proving quite effective. The latest attack, lead by the dreaded Captain Bluebeard, was a glorious victory for HM Navy. Two of the pirate ships, Blue Dagger and Blue Blood, were captured by the Corlanders and the rest only barely escaped. Naturally, most of the crew from those vessels were captured as well, and now it was finally time to stand trial.

As one of the Crown's most important colonies and seat of the New Terra Fleet it is necessary that King's Harbour should have a proper courthouse.

32509967978_4a3493f3aa_b.jpg

The proceedings are led by well educated magistrates sent from the Homeland to uphold law and justice in the Colonies.

46331029072_a01e7786d7_z.jpg

To their left sits the jury, picked from among the most prominent citizens of King's Harbour. To be judged by ones peers is one of the oldest Corlander rights, stipulated in the Magna Carta itself.

45469675705_fce09120a5_z.jpg

Everything that occurs during trials is meticulously recorded by the court clerks.

46331029512_45a136c8bf_z.jpg

32509968578_03750ff2bc_z.jpg

The defendant's bench is locades opposite to the judge, and is currently occupied by some of the pirates arrested on Bluebeard's ships.

32509968468_a75caeacc4_c.jpg

32509968228_61a4298583_z.jpg

The prosecution's prime witness is Lieutenant Lawliet Lavendwood, who commanded the squardron of ships that defeated the pirates.

46331031802_7f1092ff4d_z.jpg

The proceedings are gathering a large crowd. Townsfolk eager to see the pirates sentenced and hanged for attempting to attack their homes and commit even more unthinkable actions.

46331029792_02616631d0_c.jpg

The trials are conducted quickly, as the defendants were captured in the act, and capital punishment sentenced liberally.

46331029392_eb3a35aa84_b.jpg

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is the result from my sigfigs victory outside King's Harbour this round. It was really fun building a courtroom, particularly trying to fit in all the details. I can admit that I had a lot of inspiration from the court scene from the fourth PoC movie. We'll see if I'll do a scene of the hangings as well.

Will be licenced as a medium Arts and culture.

C&C is, as always, appreciated.

If anybody is interested in the moc without all the figs:

Spoiler

46331029042_84f098c788_c.jpg

46331029622_7cab8313ed_c.jpg

46331029912_308467f9f0_c.jpg

46331029142_d8a77559a0_c.jpg

32509968408_3bd1a04723_c.jpg

Edited by Flavius Gratian

Wonderful courthouse! A very period feel! With lots of detail and texture (the brickbuilt doors, the relief sculptures above the judges, the use of the narrow columns in a couple of different places, and nice use of the crate piece for the main desk). And glad to see that you're dealing with the pirate crews even though you didn't catch Bluebeard himself. :thumbup:

Excellent MOC, Flavius, and excellent story! I really enjoy these builds that take the outcome of the MRCA and integrate them closer into the lore - makes for excellent storytelling!

I think you have captured the look and feel of how I think a Corrish Courtroom should look, and I am amased how many different parts of a real courtroom you have managed to include in a relatively small space without it seeming cramped. I really like your columns and arches, the brickbuilt doors, the half-statues and the general layout. Overall, one of my favourite non-ship mocs from you (yeah, I am partial to ships :P ) and an excellent addition to King's Harbour!

Great build, good minifig posing, nice story, and excellent photography - well done! :thumbup:

Loving the architecture details as well as the overall setup. A really good and accurate depiction of a trial during that period!

My favourite detail has to be the almost comically oversized judge chair - I guess somebody is compensating for something! :pir-grin:

Very well designed room! with all the parts you expect to find in a courthouse, And the minifigs really finishes it off. 

Bart

Nice build, looks very convincing, I like how you've managed to build a realistic looking court without using a lot of fancy parts.

21 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

Wonderful courthouse! A very period feel! With lots of detail and texture (the brickbuilt doors, the relief sculptures above the judges, the use of the narrow columns in a couple of different places, and nice use of the crate piece for the main desk). And glad to see that you're dealing with the pirate crews even though you didn't catch Bluebeard himself. :thumbup:

Thank you very much! I'm glad the details are appreciated! I've been working on adding more of those to my builds to make them more interesting. Of course we deal with pirates of all stations; let the word spread that the coward Bluebeard abandoned his men to the gallows!

20 hours ago, Professor Thaum said:

Awesome one !

Really great rendering of this court house ! Nice doors ! The judge chair is very impressive and I like those panels of wall.

Thank you! The doors took some time to figure out actually, since I was almost out of bricks at that point. The judge has to look down on everyone to show where authority lies.

19 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

This is well done...  At least if my crews ever get captured in Kings Harbor they will have proper trials lol

Thanks very much! That is some consolation I guess, and you're more than welcome :tongue:

16 hours ago, Kwatchi said:

Nicely done.

Thank you very much!

4 hours ago, Bregir said:

Excellent MOC, Flavius, and excellent story! I really enjoy these builds that take the outcome of the MRCA and integrate them closer into the lore - makes for excellent storytelling!

I think you have captured the look and feel of how I think a Corrish Courtroom should look, and I am amased how many different parts of a real courtroom you have managed to include in a relatively small space without it seeming cramped. I really like your columns and arches, the brickbuilt doors, the half-statues and the general layout. Overall, one of my favourite non-ship mocs from you (yeah, I am partial to ships :P ) and an excellent addition to King's Harbour!

Thank you! I've started to appreciate them more as well, this is a build I probably would never have done had not the MRCA happend.

I'm glad you think so! Indeed, it took quite some planning and redoing to make everything fit. I actually wanted it to feel a bit full and tight despited being a large room. Thanks, I've been working on adding more details to my builds, so I'm glad it worked! I'm quite proud of it myself.

4 hours ago, Drunknok said:

Great build, good minifig posing, nice story, and excellent photography - well done! :thumbup:

Loving the architecture details as well as the overall setup. A really good and accurate depiction of a trial during that period!

My favourite detail has to be the almost comically oversized judge chair - I guess somebody is compensating for something! :pir-grin:

Thank you very much! The details took some time to figure out but I'm happy they worked in the end. If you look at pictures they chairs and podium are actually quite large in real life as well. And the baldaquin is to represent the authority of the Crown through the judge. But, of course, I neither confirm nor deny anything about this particular judge :grin:

2 hours ago, Bart said:

Very well designed room! with all the parts you expect to find in a courthouse, And the minifigs really finishes it off. 

Bart

Thank you! It took some research to find everything needed and some planning to fit it in so I'm happy it looks proper!

2 hours ago, Bodi said:

Nice build, looks very convincing, I like how you've managed to build a realistic looking court without using a lot of fancy parts.

Thanks very much! It was a bit of a challenge actually, especially at times when it appreared that I have fewer of even fairly normal bricks than expected, but I'm quite proud of how it turned. Also happy that I can get by without the fancy parts since I don't have that many!

6 hours ago, Bregir said:

Agreed!

Great build @Flavius Gratian! The Courtroom is simply excellent. It's compact, it's well tiled, and it's well built. Great Job all around, and it's good to see this maniac brought to justice!

Fantastic courthouse Flavius, packed with great details and suitably grand enough to display the glory of Corrington! The wood panelling contrasts well with the interior. The grilled bricks next to the windows are a great detail. I am very envious of all your white trimmed bicornes! Each time I've ordered one of those PotC officers they have come with plain tricornes! Great work bringing this MRCA result to life! 

On 12/20/2018 at 5:21 PM, Fraunces said:

Agreed!

Thank you!

On 12/22/2018 at 6:54 AM, Mesabi said:

Great build @Flavius Gratian! The Courtroom is simply excellent. It's compact, it's well tiled, and it's well built. Great Job all around, and it's good to see this maniac brought to justice!

Thank you very much! Well, I assume we'd like all maniacs brought to heel :tongue:

13 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

Fantastic courthouse Flavius, packed with great details and suitably grand enough to display the glory of Corrington! The wood panelling contrasts well with the interior. The grilled bricks next to the windows are a great detail. I am very envious of all your white trimmed bicornes! Each time I've ordered one of those PotC officers they have come with plain tricornes! Great work bringing this MRCA result to life! 

Thanks very much! Glad my work with the details are appreciated! As said previously that has been an area of improvement for me. I was very lucky with the tricones, I managed to get hold of 10 on Bricklink for just 20$ a few months back, also when the PoC-series was still on the shelves I bought a several copies just to get those uniforms.

This courtscene is amazing. It really is the perfect mix of order and chaose, like a courtroom scene from the colonial world in this time should probably be.

It does have some grand and illustrious appearance, but still is down to earth. Love it, perfect.

Excellent courtroom scene and MCRA story. It looks very period appropriate. :thumbup:

Powdered wigs! White-brimmed tricornes! :excited: :tongue:

It seems that Sir Dee has gotten a job as clerk of court... :grin:

Good work.