ISDAvenger

[MOC] Imperial DS-1 Orbital Battle Station

Deep from inside the Maw comes the Empires latest design a planet killer, called the Death Star 1 (DS-1), which is an Orbital Battle Station.  It was designed by Raith Sienar, Bevel Lemelisk, and Galen Erso. It was designed and built to strike fear into the enemies of the Empire and to bring a swift end to the Rebellion.  The top secret project was overseen by the Emperors most trusted leaders, Lord Darth Vader, Grand Moff Tarkin, and Director Krennic. 

Project took over three years to complete as construction was done when time was available. The Emperor was not pleased to say the least.  Tried to create most of the major scenes from the movie. (Note this is the first Death Star, so no Emperor Throne room.)  Used the movie and the Death Star Haynes Owner's Technical Manual to assist during the build. The Haynes Manual was a major help.  AFOLS that get a honorable mention for inspiration are AC-Pin, Raskolnikov (TIE Interceptor is his design), and Brickplumber.  Thanks guys!  The majority of the build was complete at the two year mark, but I did not like how the it did not represent a "round" shape.  After taking a year sabbatical I came back to it and came up with a solution in the form of slope and inverted slope pieces to fill in the void and create a more "rounder" shape.  I also had to go back in and rework the lighting as well. Lighting was done by Brickstuff, and much thanks to the owner Rob Klingberg for his help. Custom Stickers were designed by OK BrickWorks, who did an awesome job!  Show circuit, hopefully BF AL, BF VA, and Brickworld Chicago.  Was banking on Star Wars Celebration, but failed to make the Fan Display cut.

Consists of 12 levels, all accessible by turbo lifts.  The red symbols on the Med Bay floor are the Red Cross symbols for that era.  All hallways are accessible and interconnecting, no dead ends.  All doors are functional and open.  No metal supports.  Each level is modular for transport.  If you notice, the garbage chute is under the Prison Bay.  You can see Chewie diving into the chute from the Prison Corridor. 

DS-1 data is as follows:

Craft: Mk. 1 Deep-space Mobile Battle Station

Manufacturer: Imperial Department of Military Research/ Sienar Fleet Systems

Diameter: Over 40 Inches

Hyperdrive: Class 4

Shielding: Equipped

Navigation System: Navicomputer

Armament: 1 Superlaser, 7 Taim and Bak D6 Turbolaster Batteries, and 2 SB 920 Laser Cannons

Crew: 39 Officers, 26 Death Star Crewmembers; 25 Death Star Gunners; 105 Stormtroopers; 18 Scout Troopers; Techs: 3 Maintenance, 2 Medical, 2 Entertainment, and 5 Food Service; 4 Deathtroopers; 2 Royal Guards; Droids: 3 Protocol, 11 Astromech, 1 KX, 3 Medical, and 4 Mouse. 192 Crewmembers and 22 Droids 

Prisoners: 3

Rebels: No one is supposed to know, but 13

Cost: 5 figures :oh:

This MOC is too big to post all the pictures, so I only posted some. The rest you can view on my Flickr account. As always any and all feedback and constructive criticism is welcome. Additionally feel free to save and cross post any pictures you want, just please give me credit for the design. 

Exterior Flickr Album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/53015923@N08/albums/72157698882700420

Interior Flickr Album: 
https://www.flickr.com/photos/53015923@N08/albums/72157698883446870

IMG_1667.jpg

IMG_1669.jpg

IMG_1671.jpg

IMG_1677.jpg

IMG_1679.jpg

IMG_1682.jpg

IMG_1684.jpg

IMG_1685.jpg

IMG_1686.jpg

IMG_1691.jpg

IMG_1694.jpg

IMG_1695.jpg

Death by Tray!.jpg

Excuses don't conern me.jpg

Foul Stench.jpg

Garbage chute, what a wonderful idea.jpg

Get in there you big furry oaf.jpg

IMG_1515.jpg

IMG_1520.jpg

IMG_1522.jpg

Leave that to me.jpg

Long hallway.jpg

Main Hanger Bay.jpg

Med Bay1.jpg

Med Bay2.jpg

Med Bay3.jpg

Med Bay4.jpg

Officer and Tarkin Quarters.jpg

Probe Droid Bay, Enlisted Mess Hall, .jpg

SB920 Laser Cannons.jpg

Scout Trooper Barracks.jpg

Shot myself in the foot.jpg

Speeder Bike Hanger.jpg

Storm Trooper Barracks1.jpg

Taim and Bak D6 Lasercannons.jpg

The Duel.jpg

The Main Laser Platform.jpg

The Swing.jpg

TIE Hanger.jpg

TIE Pilot Quarters, Turbolifts, Gym.jpg

Turbolift Bay.jpg

Useless jesture.jpg

Victory or Death.jpg

You may fire when ready.jpg

Edited by ISDAvenger

So huge...:oh: 

This is a masterpiece! The lights are really cool. So many details, even on the walls! 

I wish I was a stormtrooper...:cry_happy:

This is amazing! Great work, the superlaser dish must've taken ages!

8 minutes ago, ExeSandbox said:

I wish I was a stormtrooper...:cry_happy:

To be vaporized into space dust? :tongue:

I’ve never been a fan of the cutaway look to Legos playset Death Star (though it’s hard to see how it could be done differently) but seeing it ramped up to this scale and this level of detail is truly something else. This is just phenomenal. So what I’m going to do is this: instead of going to work I’m going to stay home and stare at these pictures all day. Probably still won’t see everything you’ve put in it. Just beautiful. And that five figure expense really shows!

Edited by Rubblemaker

This is spectacular, I could look at these images all day long and always find some new little detail. Splendid job, the attention to detail is crazy.

Well, the exterior is just fine and does the job... but the scope, scale, and detail of your interiors is spectacular!  Excellent job on the integrated lighting, too.  I'm glad that the decks that needed it were given the appropriate height, and the way you've layered the rest in and made them all mesh together in a reasonable way is just lovely.  Spectacular build!  :sweet:

This is unbelievable!  I mean a 40 inch diameter?! I wish there were a part count estimate for this build but judging by the cost it has to be at least 100,000 pieces.  How did you build the inner support structure? It has to be able to hold quite a bit of weight, especially the bottom few layers.

On 12/19/2018 at 3:55 AM, G59 said:

how long did it take to design and make this masterpiece??!!

Two years to get the inner construction complete. Went through about a year "dark age" and came back to finish the outer design, which was another few months.

On 12/20/2018 at 1:13 PM, Cjd223 said:

This is unbelievable!  I mean a 40 inch diameter?! I wish there were a part count estimate for this build but judging by the cost it has to be at least 100,000 pieces.  How did you build the inner support structure? It has to be able to hold quite a bit of weight, especially the bottom few layers.

I estimate the piece count to be in the 6 figure range. Nothing special was used to design the inner support structure. I left about a 2x6 to 2x4 (depending on the level) hole down the middle for routing the wires for the lights. The key was in building the floors really strong and then crisscrossing bricks when building the walls at each center point of each level. The main 4 walls are 6 studs across so I used 2x bricks for the first two levels of the wall and then moved to 1x bricks. As I built the walls I reinforced them horizontal and vertically this assisted in making them strong. 

As far as the levels being able to support the other levels, especially the lower levels, I got lucky. I wouldn't/didn't know until after it was all together. There are quite a few builders that have tempted fate if you will with building and not knowing if it will work/hold until it is complete.

Thanks for all the comments, I really appreciate it!

Edited by ISDAvenger

What a great build you've got here - I'm amazed the different levels are held together just by bricks and plate with no fancy skeleton inside. All the scenes you've built into it are just lovely - the hangar in particular is wonderful. Three years in the making, I'm sure you need a rest now.

This is stunning work! 

On 12/18/2018 at 10:08 PM, ISDAvenger said:

Cost: 5 figures :oh:

Ye-ouch. *oh2*