Kai NRG

Prelude: Kaliphlin Talk

Kaliphlin Talk

A Prelude for Challenge II of Book III

Everyone who has ever been to a Kaliphlin bazaar knows that there is no better place to hear, share, or deplore the latest news.

800x817.jpg

Word had trickled down to Al Karazin, merchant of miscellany, that a trader in Petraea had heard his Avalonian wheat contact say that his cousin’s lord had a nephew who was guard in the royal palace of Cedrica and overheard the Queen’s council mention a need for celebration.  This second hand information three times removed was now being dispersed with liberal additions throughout the small Kaliphlin markets of Qarkyr.  Queen Ylspeth was throwing a grand banquet – at Petraea, or possibly Queenscross, at which ostrich races were to be held, bears were to dance, and Avalonian wheat was to feed the guests.  Most likely the banquet was to celebrate her engagement, said one.  Ere long a third issued a definite pronouncement: there was to be a banquet in honor of the Queen’s wedding.  Enterprising artists invested in white and black paint.

Meanwhile, at Al Karazin's stall, the discussion stayed within slightly more reasonable bounds.

"Is what I hear true - that there is to be a celebration of the Queen's return in Cedrica?" a customer asked.

"I suspect, rather, that there are to be celebrations throughout the guilds.  I had it from the guard of the Queen's chamber that such was the advice of a certain Nerbli, or Nervli - a foreigner from the land of the Queen's sojourn."

640x480.jpg

"A foreigner!  Our Queen taking advice of a foreigner?  Credit me, the statement must be false," interrupted a second man.

800x611.jpg

"Foreigners can give good advice at times," the woman retorted, remembering the Varlyrian doctor whose advice had saved her babe's life.

640x451.jpg

"I don't give a fig for a foreigner," a young voice cut across from the other end of the stall, "but I'm all for the celebrations.  Nothing has been doing in this slow guild since the glorious Desert King squelched opposition.  I'm spoiling for a fight!"

800x662.jpg

"Have a care what you say, young man!" the merchant's assistant interrupted.  "The Desert King has squelched no one save his own spineless followers who are too scared to think for themselves!"

800x529.jpg

"Celebrations?" mused a new voice.  "Food is needed, food and housing, for many hurt in the wars.  But belike the Queen has thought of that already.  Celebrations may be a good thing.  But where do they come from... and why?"

1280x1342.jpg

And so the divided opinions of Kaliphlin talk on...

I've had this canopy sitting around for a while and am glad to put it to use with this build!  Filling the stall was a bit painstaking, but also fun.  C&C welcome!

Nice little scene, love the use of snow shoes for the canopy.  There's quite alot going on and alot of different things to buy there.  The figs are very nice also.  

Nice scene with a lot of details in such a small footprint!
Question: how did you make the urn in the lower left corner in the 2nd photo...?

A very lively small build once again with many details to discover! Great shots and the story made me grin from the beginning till the end! :grin:

12 hours ago, zoth33 said:

Nice little scene, love the use of snow shoes for the canopy.  There's quite alot going on and alot of different things to buy there.  The figs are very nice also.  

Thanks zoth!

10 hours ago, ExeSandbox said:

Wow, such a nice little build! Man, that bottle made out of the 2 bowls is crazy! *oh2*

I can't exactly take all the credit for it, I saw someone else on Flickr do something similar (but with the white dragon bowls).  Thanks!

5 hours ago, Gideon said:

Nice scene with a lot of details in such a small footprint!
Question: how did you make the urn in the lower left corner in the 2nd photo...?

Thank you!  It's two bowls - one just rests on the other so it's a little delicate.

1 hour ago, Exetrius said:

A very lively small build once again with many details to discover! Great shots and the story made me grin from the beginning till the end! :grin:

Thanks Exetrius!

really nice, love all the merchandise as well as the story itself, with everyone chiming in. Though my fav must be the merchant's assistant appearing from behind it - awesome shot, made me laugh! :rofl:

Crazy amount of detail, as others have said. I like the transparent head with those new 1x1 round... bar studs? That's an inspired parts use.

Lovely little scene here! Love that canopy roof, sometimes it's the simple things that make the best textures.

You've done a great job of making the stall feel packed with goods, loads of nice little details. The urn is especially nice, I didn't even know that piece existed, so it was educational for me!

Very nifty use of skis for the stall roof :thumbup: And is that a rim for the baby's body? Genius!
Entertaining story telling as usual too :classic:

Such lovely wares! The various pots and jars and jugs are delightful, especially that one with the two dragon bowls. I also notice the glass decanters with trans-clear minifig heads and trans-clear nipples - perhaps it was from Kaliphlin merchants that Queen Ylspeth got the ones she keeps in her council chambers. The roof looks good with those skis - is this what you did with all of those City Arctic sets after you took apart the display? Amongst all of the delightful little details that make the scene believable, my favorite is the hot dog buns serving as the rolled up ends of a scroll. What a good piece usage! The story is nice, too, reflecting the differing viewpoints of the different sections of Kali society quite well. 

On 12/19/2018 at 1:46 PM, TheLordOfBricks said:

Very nice little scene, love the market awning, and some great detail going on here. Awesome story as well! Excited to see what this challenge is! :)

Thank you!

On 12/19/2018 at 6:13 PM, en_zoo said:

really nice, love all the merchandise as well as the story itself, with everyone chiming in. Though my fav must be the merchant's assistant appearing from behind it - awesome shot, made me laugh! :rofl:

Thanks en_zoo!  That shot fit in perfectly with the story!

On 12/19/2018 at 7:57 PM, mccoyed said:

Crazy amount of detail, as others have said. I like the transparent head with those new 1x1 round... bar studs? That's an inspired parts use.

Thanks!  Have to credit @Henjin_Quilones for that idea, I copied it from his prelude for this challenge!

On 12/20/2018 at 4:57 AM, Basiliscus said:

Lovely little scene here! Love that canopy roof, sometimes it's the simple things that make the best textures.

You've done a great job of making the stall feel packed with goods, loads of nice little details. The urn is especially nice, I didn't even know that piece existed, so it was educational for me!

Thanks Bas!  The urn is actually two bowls, one inverted and stacked on the other.  Not a very sturdy construction, but it looks nice! :wink:

On 1/2/2019 at 12:31 PM, soccerkid6 said:

Very nifty use of skis for the stall roof :thumbup: And is that a rim for the baby's body? Genius!
Entertaining story telling as usual too :classic:

Thanks SK!  Hmm, not sure exactly what you mean by rim, but the baby's body is one white nipple piece and then a 1x1 hollow white stud, and then another white nipple piece.

22 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

Such lovely wares! The various pots and jars and jugs are delightful, especially that one with the two dragon bowls. I also notice the glass decanters with trans-clear minifig heads and trans-clear nipples - perhaps it was from Kaliphlin merchants that Queen Ylspeth got the ones she keeps in her council chambers. The roof looks good with those skis - is this what you did with all of those City Arctic sets after you took apart the display? Amongst all of the delightful little details that make the scene believable, my favorite is the hot dog buns serving as the rolled up ends of a scroll. What a good piece usage! The story is nice, too, reflecting the differing viewpoints of the different sections of Kali society quite well. 

Or perhaps the Kaliphlin merchants are imitating decanters the Queen brought with her from afar? :laugh:  And yes... those skis all came from the Arctic sets, what gave it away? :tongue:

Thanks!