Meatman

Technic parts in rare or unreleased colors

With the emergence of the new crowkiller supercar with pearl/silver Lego Porsche wheels, I got to wondering what some of the rarest or most unique colored or unreleased technic parts were. And how do these parts get made and manage to find their way out of the Lego factories?

Oh, this is awesome! Here is my collection of rare-ish technic parts:

Rarest Parts in my Collection

(Sorry photo might be too big, can’t adjust from phone)

I also have some prototype technic parts, but they are not in the photo.

Edited by TechnicRCRacer

I have about a dozen black piston rods that I bought off of a bricklink seller some years ago. I don't think those were ever in any sets.

@Meatman Paul told me that guy also made trans light blue, orange and red wheels. Apparently they were just able to mould anything they wanted. I wonder if these will make it on the market. 

For those unaware of what we’re talking about:

800x446.jpg

1280x1316.jpg

These wheels aren’t painted. They were moulded in pearl grey, brand new out of the factory. 

@mocbuild101Yup, seen the photos and that is where I got my prototypes from! I have the red beam frame and the red 1x2 beams with axle hole.

I did encounter some weird parts in the wild: Pin 2L with Bush on end... in Rust! Very strange to find in a bulk used lot!

If only there were transparent axles, I would be all over them! So many possibilities!

EDIT: That seller has those marbled Technic beams for sale now! Maybe I will add those to my collection.

Edited by TechnicRCRacer

Why I remember, that there was topic for rare parts. I remember, that someone has also put pictures of those multicolor parts from cleaning molding machines etc. 

I just can't fint that topic anymore. Maybe it was in General parts discussion topic?

Well hello there Alucard GT!  Your looking mighty fine there with our without those rare wheels! 

Edited by KD123

21 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

One of the rarest! Only in one set in 1999.

there are other colors that was only in one set, but white one that was in seven sets is most expensive.

1 hour ago, KD123 said:

Well hello there Alucard GT!  Your looking might fine there with our without those rare wheels! 

LvdH said: Paul told me that guy also made trans light blue, orange and red wheels. Apparently they were just able to mould anything they wanted. I wonder if these will make it on the market. 

For those unaware of what we’re talking about:

These wheels aren’t painted. They were moulded in pearl grey, brand new out of the factory. 

I thought that there was already thread here about this car, but I guess he didn't make one. :sceptic: Here is a link to more pictures of the model.

Edited by Meatman

12 hours ago, mocbuild101 said:

This guy has a huge collection of rare parts, including quite a few Technic parts: https://www.flickr.com/photos/148691465@N05/albums/72157663491437627

He also sells some of his parts on Bricklink: https://store.bricklink.com/matthi

red frames 5 x 7 are something mandatory (and beautiful :wub:; probably only red thing that I like) if someone wants to build classic trucks (most of them have red chassis)...

On 12/19/2018 at 7:19 AM, Jurss said:

Why I remember, that there was topic for rare parts. I remember, that someone has also put pictures of those multicolor parts from cleaning molding machines etc. 

I just can't fint that topic anymore. Maybe it was in General parts discussion topic?

It was in General parts discussion topic and user was @Richard Dower who has some collection of technic parts in rare color (and Christmas spiders)...

On 12/19/2018 at 5:11 AM, mocbuild101 said:

This guy has a huge collection of rare parts, including quite a few Technic parts: https://www.flickr.com/photos/148691465@N05/albums/72157663491437627

He also sells some of his parts on Bricklink: https://store.bricklink.com/matthi

I can't imagine where these parts are taken from, just guessing - manufactoring issues, like incorrect switch between cans with dye.

I don't say that they are undesirable, unusable or not applicable, but they are too expensive.

Just now, Ox1337 said:

I can't imagine where these parts are taken from, just guessing - manufactoring issues, like incorrect switch between cans with dye.

I don't say that they are undesirable, unusable or not applicable, but they are too expensive.

They are all original LEGO parts straight out of the factory. Usually they test a mould, and the colour red is the hardest to mould. That’s why they’re mostly all red. They’re definitely not painted. His prices aren’t too bad btw. He’s one of the cheapest who sell test parts. 

Thought I'd share the rarest (colored) parts I have:

800x600.jpg

All the parts on the left of the silver beam are only in a single set, and all the parts on the right (including the silver beam, but excluding the part in the bottom right corner) are only in 2 or 3 sets.

Now, the part in the bottom right corner (part 32167) seems to be a bit rarer than any of the other parts I have, as by what I could find, it was never produced in light yellow - only in black and yellow...

I have no idea where it could have come from (though obviously I got it from a bulk lot), but it certainly was a surprise when I found out about it...

I think your light yellow part might just be discolored. I have several older parts in my collection that have some sun fading.

20 minutes ago, Saberwing40k said:

I think your light yellow part might just be discolored

I was thinking that too, but how would it be faded so evenly - not even a little bit of it isn't faded?

Also, how could it be so close to light yellow - normally faded parts are off color?

3.jpg

@mocbuild101Nice collection! I have yet to add a blue half bush to my collection. Bulk dumps are the best way to get rare Technic parts, as I have about 20 of the dark green pieces and the dark orange half beam curved(?) parts.