Finally, my Hoth Echo Base diorama is done (currently being exhibited at Brickorea Convention 2018, 15~23 December in Pangyo, S. Korea).

I'm a big fan of the original SW trilogy and my favorite one to watch is Ep.V. I love the look of the Echo Base and the Hoth Battle despite the boneheaded strategy put on by the Rebels (apparently hasn't improved through to Ep. VIII). (Photos updated 2018.12.21)

148DvfS.jpg

This set focuses on the base itself and depicts the time just before the start of the Battle of Hoth.

Dimensions: 160(W) x 256(L) Studs

QdSodSC.jpg

To me two of the most important features of the base are the cave entrance/exit (with heavy shield doors) and then the air/space craft bays.

I've tried to replicate the shape of the cave and shield door dimensions as close to the studio model as possible.

tnfKHsE.jpg

EVMIpQq.jpg

I figure the London studio just was not big enough the fully feature the original desiger's concept, and thus the makers had to squeeze everything into a modified set. Yes the cave entrance/exit is too small for the Millenium Falcon to fit through. That is why in the scene where the Falcon escapes Vader's troops, the Falcon actually shrinks in size via photographic trickery.

UhSobU7.jpg

8KzIMy4.jpg

I was just happy to stick with the actual studio set (and more economical).

OXnZmeN.jpg

Although there are no real accurate maps of the base and the surrounding areas, I always figured the approach to the front of the base would be pretty well hidden by the mountainous terrain of Hoth

(as Vader's shock troops are supposed to have blasted their way into the top or side of the base).

FyKIJBl.jpg

Thus the front of my base is protected by relatively few troopers (as in the film) armed with some MK II Repeating Blasters.

There are only a couple of DF.9 Anti-Infantry Turrets and a 1.4 FD P-Tower Anti-Vehicle Laser Cannon guarding the front (my original plan was to build the MOC in two parts: the base itself and a forward Echo Station).

7y4jfBW.jpg

My DF.9 Anti-Infantry Turret design was initially featured in '[MOC] Hoth Generator Defense' with the LDD design link.

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/117121-moc-hoth-generator-defense/&page=2

1ZJOhSR.jpg

RebelHMG.jpg[/img]

My newest MK II Medium Repeating Blaster uses a black ice cream cone and a spanner wrench. Its LDD will be released in a series along with the rest

(LEGO may have come up with a new receiver part for the Overwatch series which might work well).

o3DTjDY.jpg

I thought of various places to put the Ion Cannon and finally settled here as I didn't want to fill that side with just lots of bricks :-) The Ion Cannon has an LED bulb embedded.

You also see a Viper Probe Droid next to the Ion Cannon. The Probe Droid has lots of new design elements which LDD I'll be happy to share with you soon.

S9ZFHcY.jpg

A shield/power generator with four disks! Also you see a Rebel Combat Speeder in its AA role. You can find more information about the Combat Speeder below.

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/117938-moc-rebel-combat-speeder/

sI387DY.jpg

Han Solo returning from a recon mission. I think this is also a signature scene from the movie. Updated 2018.12.21.

2KZLFik.jpg

Now onto my command center. Updated 2018.12.21.

AWM0RnE.jpg

There is that Toryn Farr whose popularity I can't quite follow.

RUqFg00.jpg

A little cramped 'Blue Room' but you have to work with what you have.

xG2PTfi.jpg

Han Solo and General Rieekan having a discussion.

Bqxg1su.jpg

Oh that stare! Your worshipfulness!

<An acknowledgement here to Frank Diorio at dioramaworkshop.com for his wonderful command center and other decals which I've adopted here>

iIqcB77.jpg

Although a bit cramped, my command center seems to be quite close to the film set.

eGhOfb6.jpg

rJ4fMwj.jpg

Medical center which has been done to death.

hbAAPC4.jpg

Han Solo: "Alright, don't lose your temper. I'll come right back and give you a hand."

Chewbacca: "Grrrrrr!"  Updated 2018.12.21. with Jerac's X-Wing

ildQEyi.jpg

Snowspeeder bays follow after actual design changes made to the studio where the base was filmed. Updated 2018.12.21.

6e0tm1v.jpg

I thought the shadows over the X-Wings were the essential points. Updated 2018.12.21.

You also see three GNK "Gonk" Power Droids to the right. They are really fun designs and I'll release the LDDs soon.

1vUUT0u.jpg

Bx3rU9U.jpg

Comparison photos.

IqhDvfY.jpg

Obligatory mission briefing scene before the sortie. Updated 2018.12.21.

ECWxAoa.jpg

Jerac's X-Wing is a perfect match ;-)

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/166523-moc-star-wars-the-x-wing-story/&tab=comments#comment-3017567

YSDWDY's T-47 Airspeeder (Snowspeeder)

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/138237-moc-incom-t-47-airspeeder-snowspeeder/

h29nAT0.jpg

Also here's my service gantry model which looks good and definitely works.Updated 2018.12.21.

APvkl0w.jpg

One of two Treadwell droid models I know. This also has a nice LDD which I love.

The Rebel Troop Carrier is featured in detail below.

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/117121-moc-hoth-generator-defense/&page=2

Miscellaneous:

KQJWsqG.png

Singing in the Rain trooper.

Qoeadcu.jpg

This base features some complex cave networks which cannot be fully shown. It wouldn't be pleasant trying to recover some parts dropped in there!

ijs0GwB.jpg

Not the best angle, but this is how a probe droid should look.

6LRcBKe.jpg

A 'blue milk' breaktime. Updated 2018.12.21.

2IMQWdF.jpg

Updated 2018.12.21.

qrXJ24f.jpg

One last shot. Updated 2018.12.21.

Well, there you have it. This diorama set has been started in 2011 and finished only last week. That was one long project!! Hopefully now I can go on to something else - only what?

<Photos updated 2018.12.21. with lots more goodies>

p1IKnVY.jpg

Edited by YSDWDY

2 hours ago, K_W said:

Very impressive! Just swap out the X-Wing with Jerac's and it will be perfection! :classic:

Ha-ha. You don't miss a thing. Actually that was my plan. I'm half-way finished with Jerac's model,and hope to get it finished by Friday this week and replace the one in themiddle. I nearly died just to finish the base in time for the exhibition.  

So much detail - fantastic!  I like the practical touches you've added in as well like the way the different rooms can slide out.  I think you've got a nice balance between size and realism, and you've certainly captured the overall look and feel.  I think the only thing that sticks out to me is that the base of the shield generator could use some snow greebling to blend in its rectangular base a bit better.

Excellent build!  :classic:

2 hours ago, deraven said:

I think the only thing that sticks out to me is that the base of the shield generator could use some snow greebling to blend in its rectangular base a bit better.

Yeah, that was exactly my thought too. The top of the base could benefit from use of scattered slope bricks to give some contour as well. But it wasn't my priority, and largely for logistical reasons (i.e., stacking the modular units on top of each other for ease of transportation) I left the tops pretty much bare. For a stationary exhibit, the tops could have been finished a lot better.

If I had an extra couple of days, I would've worked on the rear of the base to provide at least some partial enclosure. But I'm happy with what I did given the time constraint I had to deal with. 

34 minutes ago, YSDWDY said:

If I had an extra couple of days...

Isn't this the case with every large MOC, always?  :wink:  Really great work, regardless.  :thumbup:

Incredible!  I love the details done for the cave entrance.  Makes me wish the top of the base had the same detailing or something like flowing snow banks rather than the flat stud look.

Saw this for the first time this morning. My jaw is still scraping along the floor several hours later. Your attention to the original set detail is staggering. Hoth Mocs are challenging enough (I’ve built one,... that now looks like something a schoolchild made compared to this!) but you’ve gone way beyond the call of duty. I really like how you’ve made the speeders in grey instead of the more common white as they really were grey with grime in the movie.

If I’d built this I’d have covered the whole thing in tiles. I’m well into my snot techniques at the moment. But anyway, love it! The only thing missing is a sneaky Wampa hidden away in a cave on the side. ;)

Edited by Rubblemaker

3 hours ago, Cjd223 said:

Makes me wish the top of the base had the same detailing or something like flowing snow banks rather than the flat stud look.

Yeah I really wanted to smoothly link the front slope with a partial roof (w/ light boxes) at least up to the first X-Wing bay. Oh well, may be if I had the energy and feel like revisiting this project :-)

19 hours ago, Rubblemaker said:

The only thing missing is a sneaky Wampa hidden away in a cave on the side. ;)

You have to look closer!

IaL6thH.jpg

This one on the loose. There should be another one of these 'ice creatures' trying to infiltrate the base in accordance with the deleted scenes  ;-)

1 hour ago, YSDWDY said:

You have to look closer!

IaL6thH.jpg

This one on the loose. There should be another one of these 'ice creatures' trying to infiltrate the base in accordance with the deleted scenes  ;-)

Wampaaaaaaa!! There he is! Awesome. Yeah there was a deleted scene where they had one in captivity wasn’t there? 

58 minutes ago, Rubblemaker said:

Yeah there was a deleted scene where they had one in captivity wasn’t there? 

I think Wampas were supposed to be like 'The Thing' always trying to get into the base to devour their prey.

1405620056216[/img]

The scene where the Medical Droid was treating a fallen Tauntaun was supposed to be an aftermath of such an attack.

What an epic build !   You must be very proud of this fantastic MOC which really does capture the atmosphere of the movie.  Simply amazing!

Well done ! :wink: