5 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

Is that a yellow T piece liftarm? Those are rare in bright colors.

Yes, two of them :thumbup:

4 hours ago, Dylan M said:

Nice Review 

but much better if it's a Video Review 

i hope you can work on to that also...

I don’t do video reviews. I prefer high quality pictures :wink: 

Besides that; there are other members who are much better at videos. They will pop up in a few days.

7 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

Is that a yellow T piece liftarm? Those are rare in bright colors.

Yup, indeed. Could have mentioned that one as well.

Excellent reviews Jim. Those photos are something else. I always look forward to reading them - an especially appreciate the positive outlook :)

I love the little details being added nowadays such as the fire extinguishers etc. Looks like a super fun model.

Great review. You always manage to make me wanting to buy every available set :grin:

22 hours ago, Jim said:

45404212345_ff8c4c6732_b.jpg

Why on earth didn't they make at least one of the panel fairings in yellow?!
It would fit the colour-scheme perfectly and we didn't have those since 2011.

Edited by schraubedrin

37 minutes ago, schraubedrin said:

Why on earth didn't they make at least one of the panel fairings in yellow?!

Probably because of economy of scale. Those pair appear in this set, the Porsche, and the boat.

23 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Probably because of economy of scale. Those pair appear in this set, the Porsche, and the boat.

Yup. They tend to put parts in multiple sets. I reckon this has something to do with warehouse space and logistics. The yellow panels are probably not in any of the 2019 sets, so it's better to use black ones and apply stickers. Warehouse space is limited, even for TLG.

On 12/16/2018 at 12:55 PM, Jim said:

These panels are new in dark bluish grey. The also appear in the Getaway Truck.

I have some thoughts about new pieces and recolours in 2019 batch. It is interesting that their colour can be different (maaaybe not bright like Lime, but Yellow or Black), because they are not visible at first look, yet they come in DBG. And also a small set have them in this colour, which is quite interesting. And we have new diameter of sprocket wheel, also introduced in something that could perfectly work without it. Why do I think that it's all made for larger set, maybe succesor of 8275, with DBG blade, rolling on large wheels (CAT triangle type maybe?), with new PU components? 8275 introduced new electric parts for Technic line and basically started a new era in remote controlled models (remember that it was announced as Toy of the Year?). Now remote control in LEGO sets is divided between IR in Technic line, and newly introduced Powered Up in City and Batman sets. It could make sense to introduce another batch of PU elements, including equivalent of already existing XL and L motors in a large set, which can be fun to build and played with, like the 8275 was.

Just my thoughts...

I think it's good that TLG does this part distribution among sets now. Used to be that even small sets back in the late 90's/early 00's had parts that were unique for no good reason. Case in point, case in point, case in point. And those are just the small sets.

I know that it still happens, like the blue sprockets in 42071, but it's nowhere near the level at which it used to be.

Edited by Maaboo35

Excellany review as always Jim. of all the 1H sets this was the one that 'Grabbed' me the most

Edited by LucyCol
Typo

25 minutes ago, Akbalder said:

This set has only the manual for the A model. :sceptic:
How small a set must be to have both printed manuals?

I think it’s good, it saves a lot of unnecessary paper.

4 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

I think it’s good, it saves a lot of unnecessary paper.

Unless you want to print those instructions. Then... it costs you a lot of paper.

Is it weird that despite all the cars with gearboxes we've had over the years, although only two speeds this little tracked loader has the most mechanically authentic gearbox to date? And it's to drive a winch! :laugh: The Chiron did introduce the new size clutch gear which was a great step forward but a real gearbox, like this digger, has two main shafts with all the gears in a line on those two shafts (minus the reverse idler and discounting truck 18 speed transmissions). Here the digger does it right, unlike the Chiron's roughly 5,386,492 shafts in the gearbox! So yeah, it's only two speeds (look forward to more in future) but it is the most authentic gearbox to date.....I think. 

2 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Unless you want to print those instructions. Then... it costs you a lot of paper.

I’m talking about resources, not money. Considering people appear to be willing to put up with PDF instructions, I’d argue it’s better to save all that extra paper and just have the <5% who’ll want physical instructions print it off themselves.

In my ideal world all instructions would just be a PDF download.

Edited by Bartybum

Lego is an activity which could be done without watching a screen. :wink:

Having both printed manuals would be something positive for me.
But this set seems very nice, I think that I will take it anyway.

6 minutes ago, Akbalder said:

Lego is an activity which could be done without watching a screen. :wink:

If that winky face implies what I think it implies (i.e. “kids these days are always looking into a screen”) then I dislike that sentiment and think it’s unproductive. A screen is simply a tool, there’s nothing bad about using it to read instructions.

Edited by Bartybum

Just now, Bartybum said:

If that winky face implies what I think it implies (i.e. “kids these days are always looking into a screen”) then I dislike that sentiment and think it’s unproductive. A screen is simply a tool, there’s nothing bad about using it to read instructions.

I was talking about me! :roflmao: (Working all day on a computer)

Just now, Akbalder said:

I was talking about me! :roflmao: (Working all day on a computer)

Aahhh I see, in which case it would be handy :^)

I actually do think kids spend too much time in front of a screen, learning their social skills on (anti)social media and not interacting with the real world, but that's just me, and I'm probably guilty of it too!

2 hours ago, allanp said:

I actually do think kids spend too much time in front of a screen, learning their social skills on (anti)social media and not interacting with the real world, but that's just me, and I'm probably guilty of it too!

You are completely right; as someone who had 5 eyes operation (to see) so far (and 2 coming in next 5 years) I spent lots of time in communication with eye doctors not just for me but also for younger generation because I'm professor...so to make it short; dozens of studies and something that is undeniable (statistics) shows that bad vision, short-sighted, retina ablation...all are much increased in last few decade when (interesting) we use various screens, not just desktop PC or laptop, but also tablets and smartphones like I'm currently using...so if your kids have to use it please try to afford devices with AMOLED display to prevent pour vision and unpleasant consequences. 

Sorry for offtopic, but health is the greatest richness.

Regards

Edited by I_Igor

22 hours ago, allanp said:

Is it weird that despite all the cars with gearboxes we've had over the years, although only two speeds this little tracked loader has the most mechanically authentic gearbox to date? And it's to drive a winch! :laugh: The Chiron did introduce the new size clutch gear which was a great step forward but a real gearbox, like this digger, has two main shafts with all the gears in a line on those two shafts (minus the reverse idler and discounting truck 18 speed transmissions). Here the digger does it right, unlike the Chiron's roughly 5,386,492 shafts in the gearbox! So yeah, it's only two speeds (look forward to more in future) but it is the most authentic gearbox to date.....I think. 

Yup, the 20z clutch finally allows a two shaft gearbox, even if only two speed, sadly i think only the 24 teeth cog would be another option, anything smaller then 16 doesnt fit the driving ring i think

12 minutes ago, vectormatic said:

Yup, the 20z clutch finally allows a two shaft gearbox, even if only two speed, sadly i think only the 24 teeth cog would be another option, anything smaller then 16 doesnt fit the driving ring i think

You could have 22 and 18 also. The difference between 16 and 20 is significant enough for a speed in between IMHO. It's also possible to have more by having a larger spacing between shafts. But instead of increasing the length of gear>drive ring>gear from 4 to 5 studs, would have been better to decrease it to 3 studs, which im pretty sure is possible. Sorry I'm drifting off topic now!

I see Jim also got a new version of the mini linear actuator. I just noticed it while building my copy, it is a different mould of the casing without a central rib and a squarer look.