As a display model I think this thing is very good looking and would be a welcome addition to my car shelf.  My major concern is the stickers.  Looking across the history of Technic models, virtually every time in which white was used in the stickers, those white portions disintegrated into a finely granulated pile of gooey morass within a year or two.  In a case like this where the stickers are a huge part of the look of the car, and in which the looks of the car are the main point, I'm worried it will turn from good looking into hideous in a couple of years.  I guess that happens to all of us.

I just built mine. I agree with otehr complaints regarding the lack of functions, too many and different colored stickers.

I would also like to note that the rear wheels are almost touching the rear frame, which is a bit concerning.

On the upside, the set has plenty of room for upgrades, either gearboxes or motorization and the suspension is more than capable to take on the extra bulk.

The set is also a very good parts donour, you get plenty of panels, suspension parts and such, simillar to 42077, but a bit more.

I am currently building the 76105 - The Hulkbuster Ultron Edition. You know what.....transparent stickers. Just sayin'

37 minutes ago, Jim said:

I am currently building the 76105 - The Hulkbuster Ultron Edition. You know what.....transparent stickers. Just sayin'

Yeah, I have long wondered why they aren't used in todays Technic sets.

Edited by zoo

Sorry if i missed this in the review, but is it common for a medium/large set to come with no numbered bags or designation in the instructions?

I built my copy of the Porsche over the weekend. Three thoughts...

The steering wheel is clearly placed too low. Comically so. Raising it by one beam is straightforward and also greatly improves the functionality in terms of making it easier to reach and operate the steering wheel, making the addition of HOG steering a little less essential.

The bulbous look of the headlight covers can easily be corrected by adjusting how they are attached. Definitely results in an improved appearance.

The stock wheels look absolutely awful. Partly because they are a bit small, but mainly due to the lack of a realistic rim design. I've added 58088 rim inserts to mine, which massively improves the look of the model. But of course these parts are rare and expensive now (up to US$30 per piece on BrickLink). I think Lego really dropped the ball with this set by missing the opportunity to re-release these rim inserts. In black they would be perfect here.

IEMhvOL.jpg

Edited by BrickMonkeyMOCs

5 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Sorry if i missed this in the review, but is it common for a medium/large set to come with no numbered bags or designation in the instructions?

You can check my previous reviews for medium large sets. 

5 hours ago, BrickMonkeyMOCs said:

I built my copy of the Porsche over the weekend. Three thoughts...

Looks great!

Just now, Jim said:

Looks great!

Cheers. I've added lockable doors too, which goes some way towards making up for the sparse functionality.

7 hours ago, BrickMonkeyMOCs said:

I built my copy of the Porsche over the weekend...

...I've added 58088 rim inserts to mine, which massively improves the look...

The wheel covers do improve the look a lot, the original wheels are a bit small and 42056 wheels are too large IMHO so well done for finding the sweet spot. I wonder if something similar could be achieved with system parts like radar dishes as a cheaper alternative?

It's interesting to see this set without stickers. I try not to use stickers on my sets as I always want the parts for MOCs and this Porsche looks surprisingly good without them, even the printed wheelarches don't look out of place as the red stripe is picked up across the back of the model.

I wasn't sold on this set to begin with but I'm definitely liking the potential now, I think I'll still wait for a price drop though.

On 1/10/2019 at 2:51 AM, BrickMonkeyMOCs said:

I think Lego really dropped the ball with this set by missing the opportunity to re-release these rim inserts.

Those rims covers are initially Ferrari licensed parts.

Sure they got used once on a Technic helicopter. But for obvious reasons, using them on a Porsche set is a different story that could not happen.

For example, I have been told by someone from TLG who worked with Porsche that TLG is not entitled to use 42056 rims in any other set than 42056.

Indeed, car rims are a key element of design, and manufacturers don't want their design (which, in some way, reflects their brand) to be used by any other third parties.

4 hours ago, JunkstyleGio said:

As requested by @Jim

Sweet! Very nice.

6 hours ago, Anio said:

Sure they got used once on a Technic helicopter. But for obvious reasons, using them on a Porsche set is a different story that could not happen.

For example, I have been told by someone from TLG who worked with Porsche that TLG is not entitled to use 42056 rims in any other set than 42056.

Indeed, car rims are a key element of design, and manufacturers don't want their design (which, in some way, reflects their brand) to be used by any other third parties.

Im sure Lego could make some new wheel covers for this car rather then using the old ferrari mold. Surely a bunch of these covers will be cheap enough to include in a set like this? certainly cheaper then custom wheels like the GT3RS and Chiron

4 minutes ago, vectormatic said:

Im sure Lego could make some new wheel covers for this car rather then using the old ferrari mold. Surely a bunch of these covers will be cheap enough to include in a set like this?

Sure.
But that was not my point.

9 hours ago, Anio said:

That makes sense, and explains why the same part was not re-released. Yet Lego have multiple generic and specific rim inserts for several smaller wheels, so I still think they missed an opportunity to provide the same here for larger Technic cars. The standard uncovered wheels on this Porsche really don't cut it, and a new-style insert would have improved the set and been popular with MOCers.

I definitely got the impression from this set that it was a bit rushed, with quality control failing to catch some obvious things - from the bizarre placement of the steering wheel (rendering the steering inoperable as a play feature), to multiple errors in the instruction manual. I get that there are always going to be compromises in official sets, but there shouldn't be obvious and easy fixes required - these should really be picked up and corrected in testing and development.

But I do really like the set, and I hope we'll see more models like this (though hopefully with a few extra functions) in the future.

On 1/12/2019 at 12:49 PM, JunkstyleGio said:

As requested by @Jim

31771144097_07ca4f2600_z.jpg

On 1/12/2019 at 5:32 PM, Jim said:

Sweet! Very nice.

Good grief Jim, don’t encourage this sort of behaviour. I have a 6yr old Grandaughter who now wants my entire Technic collection rebuilt in pink. Yes, PINK!!! :ugh: 

I need to go lay down and start the day again :wacko:

I'm really really on the fence about this set. The 1H flagships every year all manage to bring something new to the table, and I manage to get most of them. This Porsche doesn't seem to bring any. As for super car eye candies, I have a number of them already (42000, 42056, 42077, 42083) :wacko: As I'm slipping into a dark age, I feel more and more reluctant to buy this set. But I still like its look, and if I let it go past, when it retires I'll have to pay 1.5x or even 2x the price :wacko:

1 hour ago, grum64 said:

Good grief Jim, don’t encourage this sort of behaviour. I have a 6yr old Grandaughter who now wants my entire Technic collection rebuilt in pink. Yes, PINK!!! :ugh: 

I need to go lay down and start the day again :wacko:

Hehehe, sorry mate :laugh:

2 hours ago, grum64 said:

I have a 6yr old Grandaughter who now wants my entire Technic collection rebuilt in pink. Yes, PINK!!! :ugh: 

Look at the bright side: problem would be if your grandson wanted Porsche in pink, so with granddaughter it is normal :wink:

Edited by I_Igor

2 hours ago, Jim said:

Hehehe, sorry mate :laugh:

Hmmmm... Your sincerity isn't entirely convincing :sceptic:

1 hour ago, I_Igor said:

Look at the bright side: problem would be if your grandson wanted Porsche in pink, so with granddaughter it is normal :wink:

But it's pink! Penny has her own building table in my shed so her pink bricks don't contaminate the rest *huh*