Great review thanks for your work. You helped me to know that I don´t need this set even thought I am still thinking is a very good looking set but far away of the Ferrari Racers aesthetic.

So, this car is in a smaller scale, but has a lot more distance in the front?

How does that compare to the real car?

5 hours ago, Jim said:

I am not sure what to think of the gap behind the front wheel arch. Actually, I do know what to think of it. I think it isugly and it makes the car look unfinished. This is probably because of the door which needs to open, but I am not convinced this is the best possible solution.

That area looks a bit unfinished. But if you're referring to any panelling missing at the lower part of the wheel arch-flange, then it's true to the original:

38194ab2-3f1e-4d19-9f43-3ab416e9cba9_tea

Look behind the front wheel: there is no panel below the red part.

Good review! At this price, it's a no-brainer for me.

I looked up a picture of the real model, where I didn’t notice the gap.  I stand corrected, again. This is by design. I will update my review.

2 minutes ago, jfbat said:

That area looks a bit unfinished. But if you're referring to any panelling missing at the lower part of the wheel arch-flange, then it's true to the original:

Look behind the front wheel: there is no panel below the red part.

Thanks for pointing it out.

So, the gap is missing behind the rear wheels :laugh: :tongue:

Great review as always. Im not a fan of it. To me the black at the front and rear with white in the middle does not blend well. 42056 is a better set. However, I look forward to seeing what others to improve it.

H

14 hours ago, jfbat said:

Lookbehind the front wheel: there is no panel below the red part.

Here you can see this missing panel even better on white model

https://www.porsche.com/international/motorsportandevents/motorsport/customerracing/racingcars/911-rsr/

Thanks for the review Jim. A couple of days ago I finished my Miniland version of this model, so the details still stand fresh in my head. 

Some great details:

- They have tried to recreate the aero side mirrors which are mounted from the outside. 

- single wheel nuts

- engine position and type (although it should sit lower)

- Distinctive 4 LED headlight recreation (the reason for using the canopies)

Bad details:

- The rear hatch does not exist. On the real car you pull away a large section of the bodywork  

- Front and rear bodywork not detachable - Wheels are much too small. They should almost be touching the wheel arches.

-Front overhang is around 2 studs too long. It is the same issue as on the Chiron.

YES!... I knew it would happen, now I can finally get rid of my fake panels from my White 42056 and replace them with genuine Lego! 

Edited by Richard Dower

Hi @Jim Excellent review as ever!

Thanks for mentioning me, but I have no time to put it in LDD.... (And at this moment the instructions, nor the set is available for us humans..)

Edited by JunkstyleGio

Regarding the wheels, i checked the specs on the real 911 rsr and michelin lists a 67 cm tyre diameter, so for 1:10 scale, legos 68x33 is about as accurate as it gets

Its the wheel arches which are too big, probably to allow enough suspension travel for playability, if it had to be realistic there should only ben 2-4 mm travel probably

22 hours ago, Jim said:

I has what you come to expect of a car. I does not have what we would like to see in a Technic model. I find grading functions for a car very difficult. 

Maybe the stars can be partly awarded for the way the functions work? For example the big Porsche had problems with the shifter paddles, thus the function was there, however not always working correctly. Bugatti has suspension problems, etc.

In this not so beautiful model, the functions are basic but I assume they work like a charm all the time? there is no sagging suspension without rebound, no wrong gear selectors, just pure car like functions that work.

P.S. @Jim would it be possible to put the big Porsche wheels on this model?

According to Sariel's review steering does not work so well :D

Edited by keymaker

Disappointing! The wheel wells being printed makes them totally irrelevant and useless for MOCs. I also don't get why they aren't using consistently black parts on the chassis after having introduced the black 5 x 7 liftarm frame last year. Surely it wouldn't have been much to ask to use those instead of the light bluish grey ones! Anyway, thanks for the review! I can now strike this set from my wishlist and focus on other purchases.

Mylenium

9 hours ago, Qukie said:

P.S. @Jim would it be possible to put the big Porsche wheels on this model?

If you check my video you can see a comparison how it looks, but here's an image with those wheels on (the rear ones are not properly mounted as the wheel touches some parts):

P1255136_blog_ret.jpg

Kết quả hình ảnh cho porsche 911 rsr

Those big wheels turn out to make the whole body too small compared to the wheels. I think the wheels are of the correct size. It's the wheel arches that are the problem.

I really like this version.  The orange 42056 was disappointing after the black (w/ white swirl pattern) teaser Porsche pictures.

7 hours ago, kbalage said:

If you check my video you can see a comparison how it looks, but here's an image with those wheels on (the rear ones are not properly mounted as the wheel touches some parts):

6 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Those big wheels turn out to make the whole body too small compared to the wheels. I think the wheels are of the correct size. It's the wheel arches that are the problem.

What if the wheel (or rather rim) size is kept same but we use the bigger tyre from 42000 ?

2 hours ago, iLego said:

What if the wheel (or rather rim) size is kept same but we use the bigger tyre from 42000 ?

2 hours ago, Bartybum said:

@Ngoc Nguyen I think this model sorely needs slightly thicker tyres too though, it’s not just the arches.

This porsche is at 1:10 scale (except for it being too long, the width and height are bang on 1:10), the real thing has 67cm diameter tyres, so the lego 68mm is perfect, the problem is entirely with the arches

42000s tyres are 81.6x36, same diameter as 42056s tyres, just a bit narrower and on a smaller rim, they would be perfect for a 1:8 porsche, but look ridiculous on 42096

30 minutes ago, Qukie said:

Thank you @kbalage  for me these wheels make the car look much better. 

Be prepared for some tinkering if you want to use them, the rear ones does not fit and with the front ones applied the steering won't work :)