OK, I'll play too.

I am excited about any reason to build an aircraft, but these last couple of days have been rough. I have drafted four ideas (F-86, TA-183, Air Racer, and DH Mosquito), and I didn't like were any of them were going. Getting the nose right is so tricky. Or I am too picky. So, here is the fifth idea, and we will see what can happen with this. It's not very ambitious, but I'll be able to get it done in time. And it fits with what I like to do, mid sized, no PF, and packed full of features.

• Dual Rotors
  • Front and Rear Collective control
  • Retractable landing gear
  • Opening side door
  • Rear ramp
  • Which

It's not much to start, but I have drafted some of the mechanics off to the side. I'll update again tomorrow.

45407297295_01ca720df6_c.jpg

I am stuck on colors right now. Yellow and red is overdone, and I do not want too much white, so I welcome votes.

Edited by Thirdwigg

When I think in general about helicopters, first thing what I imagine is coast guard helicopter in white with some red or orange

So here is an update on my helicopter. The landing gear is working, and the collective is working as well.

32865045708_af054b788e_c.jpg

I confess, this contest has been a little hard for me due to a lack of inspiration. All of my ideas, including this one, are getting stuck very early in the design phase. I am not interested in continuing with what I have been developing. It's a shame, I love aircraft and contests, but this one is not working for me so far.

I started another build this weekend of a WWII airplane that might work. Maybe this one will work a little better, but it won't be amazing.

This colour scheme looks so good! I wish you loads of inspiration for next days, really looking forward to see this copter finished! Good luck!

1 hour ago, Thirdwigg said:

I confess, this contest has been a little hard for me due to a lack of inspiration. All of my ideas, including this one, are getting stuck very early in the design phase. I am not interested in continuing with what I have been developing. It's a shame, I love aircraft and contests, but this one is not working for me so far. 

I started another build this weekend of a WWII airplane that might work. Maybe this one will work a little better, but it won't be amazing. 

I understand you so well, as my chinook give me the same feeling.

The only thing i would correct in your last sentence is:

but it won't be amazing.

by: it will be absolutely amasing

:classic:

Edited by steph77

51 minutes ago, steph77 said:

The only thing i would correct in your last sentence is:

by: it will be absolutely amazing

:classic:

We will see. I took some influence from your Helicopter, and added a bunch of shooting parts to the airplane, so if nothing else, it will be, let's say...combative. I'll try to upload something soon.

2 hours ago, HorcikDesigns said:

This colour scheme looks so good! I wish you loads of inspiration for next days, really looking forward to see this copter finished! Good luck!

I'll give it one more build session and if nothing spikes I may set it aside for the time being. I do like how the rotors have turned out. Those blades work great at this scale, and the pitch change for the front and rear is great to watch.

As mentioned in the last post, this project has taken a little bit of a turn because I was not feeling motivated on the helicopter. The helicopter is still sitting off to the side, so I'll see if I come back to it.

I like old warplanes, and I was tinkering around with some parts, and found some subbuilds I liked. I tied a couple of these subbuilds together with a Hawker Tempest in the back of my mind. This is what I got.

46807845521_853003e6f4_c.jpg

I'll try to clean it up a little more soon since it's pretty rough right now. I'll repost the improvements as they happen.

We'll see if this motivates a little more activity. 

If I remember correctly, Tempest had characteristical chin for radiator to cool down H-24 engine (yes it has 24 cylinder engine)....

Looks interesting project :thumbup:

8 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

Yep. It has 1/8th of the required cylinders. 

Who cares? I find you capture proportion in a great way so far. From an aesthetic POV I would reduce the gap between front propeller and the engine cover by one stud. Good work!

5 hours ago, steph77 said:

Who cares? I find you capture proportion in a great way so far. From an aesthetic POV I would reduce the gap between front propeller and the engine cover by one stud. Good work!

Don’t worry, it’s on my list. I think the  propeller diameter needs to increase a little too. We’ll see if we can get that to work as well. 

Nothing too significant today. I spent some little chunks of time this last week on small parts: The wings have their general shape, the weapons are in, the flight controls work, and all the hard points are set.

I'll clean it up a little more when I get a good block of time. I will order some parts soon to keep the colors a little more consistent (we'll lose the yellow).

I still don't have a great solution for the landing gear. We'll see what I come up with...

31943991337_b5d1075f9c_b.jpg

Looking very good! I'm happy this one gives you some inspiration, good to have you in competition as well. When it comes to raw firepower this plane is already unbeatable:grin:

1 hour ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Very sleek! :thumbup:

Perfect!

52 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

Proportions look good to me

Thanks. I'll try to keep the changes to a minimum.

32 minutes ago, Rudivdk said:

Looking very good! I'm happy this one gives you some inspiration, good to have you in competition as well. When it comes to raw firepower this plane is already unbeatable:grin:

I'm happy this one is working a little better for me too. I'm having some fun with this one, and I'm happy I'll be part of this contest. The firepower will be top notch, and I'll have to see if I can add a couple more arms to it.

OK, another update. I rebuild the frame to better accommodate the rear fuselage and the wings. Also, @I_Igor I have quadrupled the engine size. I now have half of the required 24 cylinders. So, maybe not a Napier Sable, but more like a Napier Pocketknife. :classic: It changes the look of the plane, so I'm not sure it will stay, but I had to try it.

I'm not sold on the exhaust as well. It seems to mess up the side, and does not add much.

I put the wrong axle in for the propellor, so again @steph77 the spinner to too long. I'll fix it.

I need to do a little more shaping to the fuselage and the wings, and then some markings. The horizontal stabilizers will be white when parts arrive. I'll start working on other details soon.

Getting closer to completion, which is good because time is running out.

46957442171_cec62981a7_b.jpg

Your pocketknife looks interesting. I see several interesting projects here and Kyle, yours is one of them :thumbup:

Nice to see that your project is rolling :classic:

I love WW2 aircraft! Very good shape, nice and compact. Bravo!

I really like how it looks from the top.

Edited by brickhappy