Pdaitabird

[MOC] 2-4-2 Locomotive

5 minutes ago, Redimus said:

That's really smart. Is it free lance, or based on a real prototype?

Thanks! It's very loosely inspired by the Belgian locomotive here. I've taken a lot of liberties to try to make it look more British and less continental.

Just now, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Lovely design ...I like the red stripe on the dark green :thumbup:

Neat design and nice piston rods

Thanks! It's actually black - I'm still trying to figure out Studio's rendering settings!

That's a cool little model! :thumbup:

However, there's one thing I would change: You mounted the drive wheels on pins. This might lead to problems when going through curves, for the wheels on the outer side tend to rotate faster than the inner ones (they have a longer way to travel in the same time). In the absence of full-length axles connecting the wheels on both sides, I fear that this would heavily stress the side rods and could cause "stuttering" wheel motion (don't know how to express it any better, I hope you know what I mean).

10 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

I'm still trying to figure out Studio's rendering settings

The results can be quite amazing - I took the liberty to use your .io-file for another render (full resolution here):

900x450.jpg

The settings were:

• Render quality: Very high
  • Light type: Piazza
  • Intensity: 0.7
  • Stud logo: On
  • UV degradation: Off
  • Scratches: On; min. strength 0, max. strength 0.1

Render time was ~ 40 min on my notebook. The rendered picture was then edited with Photoshop Elements (especially with respect to colour saturation, illumination and sharpness).

Edited by Tenderlok

5 hours ago, Tenderlok said:

That's a cool little model! :thumbup:

However, there's one thing I would change: You mounted the drive wheels on pins. This might lead to problems when going through curves, for the wheels on the outer side tend to rotate faster than the inner ones (they have a longer way to travel in the same time). In the absence of full-length axles connecting the wheels on both sides, I fear that this would heavily stress the side rods and could cause "stuttering" wheel motion (don't know how to express it any better, I hope you know what I mean).

The results can be quite amazing - I took the liberty to use your .io-file for another render (full resolution here):

The settings were:

• Render quality: Very high
  • Light type: Piazza
  • Intensity: 0.7
  • Stud logo: On
  • UV degradation: Off
  • Scratches: On; min. strength 0, max. strength 0.1

Render time was ~ 40 min on my notebook. The rendered picture was then edited with Photoshop Elements (especially with respect to colour saturation, illumination and sharpness).

Thank you! I've never used the new wheels in real life, as all my train parts are from the 9v era. I'll be sure and remember that if I ever build the engine in real bricks.

And thanks for taking the time to render the model -- the difference in image quality is amazing! Studio's photorealistic renderer gives me an error for some reason, so I've been stuck using the POV-Ray module.

1 hour ago, Pdaitabird said:

Studio's photorealistic renderer gives me an error for some reason

I had this problem, too, when I first tried the "photorealistic render" feature some weeks ago. Then, in sheer desperation, I switched the "Device" setting from "GPU" to "CPU", and immediately it all worked fine. *huh*

6 hours ago, Tenderlok said:

I had this problem, too, when I first tried the "photorealistic render" feature some weeks ago. Then, in sheer desperation, I switched the "Device" setting from "GPU" to "CPU", and immediately it all worked fine. *huh*

Thanks!  I just tried that, and it works now!  Here's a shot of the engine with a few revisions:

46347310331_fcaa51a776_b.jpg2-4-2_Revised by the chestertonian, on Flickr

The driving axles have been replaced per your suggestion, and I added a 9v motor to the tender.  The coach is inspired by the one from the Emerald Night.

Soli Deo Gloria

Edited by Pdaitabird

Very nice little locomotive and I would have thought British from the looks of it (so you did a good job with those details). From an operational standpoint, presumably the pilot and trailing axles are fixed to the frame. This long wheelbase will likely cause troubles in R40 curves and normal switches.

4 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

The driving axles have been replaced per your suggestion

Uh, oh... seems as if I was rather overfatigued yesterday and couldn't think clearly... Forget what I wrote about that. Of course, when the wheels on each side are allowed to travel at their own speed, there will be NO additional strain on the rods, as both sides are independent of each other. BUT without a full-length axle it's impossible to maintain prototypical 90° quartering, so replacing the pins was a good decision anyway... :wink:

I'm glad you were able to fix the rendering problem!

That's really nice. I like the (partly) covering of the wheels. The tender looks a little bit big proportionally, but is very well done nonetheless.

On 12/16/2018 at 2:30 PM, Tenderlok said:

This sounds like a good tip. I'm gonna give it a try. 

The loco does look pretty turn of the century UK, but the coach looks very not of the UK. A couple of obvious notes is that British coaches almost never have red painted bugger beams, not are they likely to have that many steps under the door (British platforms are normally a lot higher than a lot of the rest of the world, so while most coaches will have a small wooden step in case the platform is a little further from the coach than is preferable, they almost never have an actual set of steps).The inset doors also make it look very foreign, but I realise making doors look like doors is very difficult in Lego.

5 hours ago, Redimus said:

The loco does look pretty turn of the century UK, but the coach looks very not of the UK. A couple of obvious notes is that British coaches almost never have red painted bugger beams, not are they likely to have that many steps under the door (British platforms are normally a lot higher than a lot of the rest of the world, so while most coaches will have a small wooden step in case the platform is a little further from the coach than is preferable, they almost never have an actual set of steps).The inset doors also make it look very foreign, but I realise making doors look like doors is very difficult in Lego.

Thanks for the information! That's what happens when an American just goes by his foggy memories of Thomas the Tank Engine to build British rolling stock.:roflmao: