Sign in to follow this  
Spader

Business is What you make it (Varlyrio 1C)

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Business

Since the death of the last Aarinstahrr, the Black Lodge Trading Company had suffered. We operated out of the wastelands of Varlyrio, and as such needed a firm grip to keep the trade routes open. But even with my return, funds were simply insufficient. When this happens, options start to shrink. I was told that I needed to sell the company. 

I had no intention of doing so.

Instead, I started a protection business. If we could morph the company from a mere shipping enterprise into the true muscle of the region, our power would only grow. 

And it was this that had me on the one road through the rocky narrows, a pathway through what had become barren country, unfit for travel, or residence. I needed to make clear why protection from the Company was necessary. 

Three travelers, unwary of a road they should have been wary of, proved an opportune beginning.

They looked shocked when my lancers surrounded them.

32457608628_895f9118c6_c.jpg

"What is the meaning of this?" The Goblin looked furious. 

"You carry much, travelers. But you carry it with little protection."

The human girl, from Kaliphlin by the look of it, appeared stricken. She looked back at the lone soldier, carrying nothing more than a crossbow. It would do little against the spears and shields of my troops. 

"Do you have any idea how much I paid to have safe passage through these parts? Any idea, human?"

"Your folly. But I'm not here for your money, goblin. My name is Orsen Waythe, and I take it you intend to see your goods to a city. I need you to carry a message with them. You see deep into the trees?"

"I see bodies, strung up like cattle."

"Marauders. They've ruled the wastelands for as long as I can remember. And I want you to tell everyone you meet that I and my men killed them, and are willing to offer safe passage to anyone and anything through these lands....for much less than the marauders demand. For far too long, the Marauders have been a thorn in the side of the Black Lodge Trading Company and the good citizens of Varlyrio. No longer."

32457609718_5424eb9eb9_c.jpg

"That's it?" The goblin looked shocked. "Tell them you just butchered the biggest bullies in the business?"

"Oh, it's my business now, Goblin. Make sure they know the mark of the Dragon means death to any Marauder who interferes with my shipping routes again. And let the people know they need not fear these masked terrorists any longer."

"So be it, Orsen Waythe. I will take your message."

32457611358_39e87750e4_c.jpg

Edited by Andrew Spader

An intriguing business you've taken up here, Andrew, and I can't wait to see more of it!  The trees look appropriately wild and untamed, as does the general aspect of the build, but I'm not quite sure I'm buying the blue in the terrain.  Clever choice of the expressions for the minifigs though :classic:  And a thumbsup for filling in the unmounted horse's saddle :thumbup: :laugh:

Good build. Kinda looks like scrubland but I was wondering what was up with the light blue and mushroom patch? Is that water?

I'm jealous of those olive green plant pieces! The "grass" ones especially.

Lovely work @Andrew Spader! Great job on the landscaping, you've built up the ground really organically using 1x1 plates and it definitely pays off. The minifigs posing is top notch too, love the way you've placed the lancers at a safe yet imposing distance.

My only minor point would be the trees are a little small. They could have been larger and more imposing.

I like the scrub and the path. The blue does seem an odd shade. Not really sure what it represents. I like the posing and the story. I look forward to seeing whether Orsen Waythe and his band will be able to preserve their morals. What will they do when armed traders refuse to pay? Will they become the very vagabonds they defeated? 

18 hours ago, Garmadon said:

An intriguing business you've taken up here, Andrew, and I can't wait to see more of it!  The trees look appropriately wild and untamed, as does the general aspect of the build, but I'm not quite sure I'm buying the blue in the terrain.  Clever choice of the expressions for the minifigs though :classic:  And a thumbsup for filling in the unmounted horse's saddle :thumbup: :laugh:

Thanks man! The blue was supposed to show the poisoning of the ground around the poisoned water, but I wound up not describing it. 

11 hours ago, mccoyed said:

Good build. Kinda looks like scrubland but I was wondering what was up with the light blue and mushroom patch? Is that water?

I'm jealous of those olive green plant pieces! The "grass" ones especially.

As said above, its suppose to show the water is dangerous. Yeah I paid a pretty penny for those grass stalks. Thanks!

9 hours ago, Basiliscus said:

Lovely work @Andrew Spader! Great job on the landscaping, you've built up the ground really organically using 1x1 plates and it definitely pays off. The minifigs posing is top notch too, love the way you've placed the lancers at a safe yet imposing distance.

My only minor point would be the trees are a little small. They could have been larger and more imposing.

Thank you much!

8 hours ago, MaasEffekt said:

Nice! Congrats!

Thanks!

7 hours ago, Muakhah said:

I like the scrub and the path. The blue does seem an odd shade. Not really sure what it represents. I like the posing and the story. I look forward to seeing whether Orsen Waythe and his band will be able to preserve their morals. What will they do when armed traders refuse to pay? Will they become the very vagabonds they defeated? 

Indeed. Such is the danger in the path chosen by Orsen. We shall see where it leads him.......

1 hour ago, mccoyed said:

Where'd you get 'em from?

Where else, but the marketplace of magic that is Bricklink?

Nice little build.  The landscaping is well done, i like the little trees, the grass and the wet mushroom patch.  The pathway of plates is good.  The figs are nicely done too.  

Charming little scene! I appreciate the trees in the scrubland the most, but it is also nice that you made the path lower than the surrounding vegetation by a plate or two. The fig posing is also nice. If you can find a way to improve the backdrop for your pictures and get some more diffuse light on them, I think it would improve the presentation a bit, though. That said, I am glad to see folks building out the west of Varlyrio! Good story, and I look forward to more. 

Nice shot, lovely vegetation! Nice to hear more lore about Varlyrio and, mainly, really intriguing story! Keep it coming! :classic::thumbup:

On 12/16/2018 at 10:47 PM, zoth33 said:

Nice little build.  The landscaping is well done, i like the little trees, the grass and the wet mushroom patch.  The pathway of plates is good.  The figs are nicely done too.  

Thank you much, sir!

On 12/17/2018 at 9:00 AM, W Navarre said:

Nice story and MOC! 

Thanks!

On 12/17/2018 at 4:16 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

Charming little scene! I appreciate the trees in the scrubland the most, but it is also nice that you made the path lower than the surrounding vegetation by a plate or two. The fig posing is also nice. If you can find a way to improve the backdrop for your pictures and get some more diffuse light on them, I think it would improve the presentation a bit, though. That said, I am glad to see folks building out the west of Varlyrio! Good story, and I look forward to more. 

Yep, realized the wastelands fit my building style quite well. I agree about the lighting, but that may be incurable until I get back to my normal lego setup. Thanks for the feedback!

On 12/19/2018 at 3:48 PM, en_zoo said:

Nice shot, lovely vegetation! Nice to hear more lore about Varlyrio and, mainly, really intriguing story! Keep it coming! :classic::thumbup:

Thanks!

Nice build, great story! Excellent representation of West Varlyrio. I like the landscape, the scrub trees, and the coloring.

So is your company going to be extracting protection money, or just do-gooders like the Nobly Avalonians that squander their wealth and power on "Chivalry"?

On 12/24/2018 at 3:01 PM, Rogue Angel said:

Nice build, great story! Excellent representation of West Varlyrio. I like the landscape, the scrub trees, and the coloring.

So is your company going to be extracting protection money, or just do-gooders like the Nobly Avalonians that squander their wealth and power on "Chivalry"?

Thanks! I think do-gooder is the last description Waythe would ever have applied to him. Not to say he won't improve the place he's at, just to say humanitarianism is the last thing on his mind. 

Lovely landscape, and your path texture looks great :thumbup: The small trees are neat, especially the spiky one using elephant tail pieces for the trunk :wub:
I agree with Garmadon that the blue is out of place here. The rest of your landscape uses earth tones, so having just that one small patch of blue seems odd.

On 1/7/2019 at 8:29 AM, soccerkid6 said:

Lovely landscape, and your path texture looks great :thumbup: The small trees are neat, especially the spiky one using elephant tail pieces for the trunk :wub:
I agree with Garmadon that the blue is out of place here. The rest of your landscape uses earth tones, so having just that one small patch of blue seems odd.

I'm gonna keep experimenting with that tree design, I'm glad so many ppl like it. As far as the coloration goes, I'll bear that in mind (and stop shoehorning this color into all my builds)...Thanks!