Kai NRG

[MCTC: Salida Este] Home for the Holidays

Although many think of Salida Este as a frontier town, expanding MCTC commerce has begun to convert the tiny settlement into a wealthy metropolis.  Middle-class Eslandians, staking their savings on one bold venture, have moved in and are establishing not only a center of business, but a city with a culture all its own.

800x930.jpg

The Hillier family, just recently arrived in Salida Este, are happy to move into their new house in time for the holidays.

800x542.jpg

A reckless sea captain turned sensible merchant with a handy ability to do almost any work, Mr. Hillier is confident of his ability to succeed in this new world.

800x739.jpg

Mr. Hillier Sr. goes where his son goes, happy anywhere he can bring his library.

800x794.jpg

Miss Hillier's correspondence was well known for the beauty of its calligraphy and the vacuity of its content in the old world, and Salida Este correspondents are finding her no less devoid of solecisms and originality.

800x619.jpg

Long time butler, man servant, and jack-of-all-trades to the family, Aryan finds that the toughest part of the rough new life falls on him.

800x684.jpg

Mrs. Hillier may have been second rank (possibly third or fourth) back in Eslandola, but here in the colonies, she has a reputation to maintain and maintain it she will, with the aid of Pussy-dinkum.

800x764.jpg

Cutler Hillier - or buddy as he is better known - is one of the most accomplished jokers this side of Gotham.  Watch yourself and your possessions carefully if he's within three miles!

800x721.jpg

This is my first build for the "new" Salida Este - hope you enjoy it!  I had a great time trying out some new color combinations.  Putting my new stash of cool green to use was an amazing feeling. :pir-grin:  C&C welcome!

I love the unique colors of this build, and there are lots of little details, both architectural and general (porch lights, offset on the columns, 1x1 rounds in the facade above the arches, scattered round tiles for the edges of the scene). I like how you finally finished off the roof, too. And great minifig design and posing, and wonderful storytelling about the family. A great addition to Salida Este! :thumbup:

That's a very good looking house, I see some interesting building techniques here, nice job.:thumbup:

I'm loving the 'new' Salida Este MOCs at the moment (although I haven't got around to commenting on the other two yet - something I will soon rectify!). Am I correct in assuming this spree is somewhat inspired by the Kaliphin at Work Collab? :pir_laugh2:

Anyway, the first think I noticed here was the use of the yellowish green bricks - they look great, especially combined with the white. I really like the door arch, lots of great detail, especially the headlight brick with the 1x1 rounded tile attached. That looks really good. The mini-figs are well composed and placed - I really like the forestman hat as a plant holder!

What a lovely build! The color used here really pops out and gives a very Carribean architectural feel to this build. I love the way you did the columns, as well. Great building all around!

Great use of that colour green, and like the Prof said already excelent minifig posing of the water carrier

On 12/15/2018 at 6:29 PM, Professor Thaum said:

That' s a nice residence, well done the shutters and that door

Great posing of minifig ( the water carrier)

Great rending for the parchment

Thanks Professor!  The door was such a pain, I'm glad you noticed it. :pir-laugh:

On 12/15/2018 at 6:51 PM, Capt Wolf said:

I love the unique colors of this build, and there are lots of little details, both architectural and general (porch lights, offset on the columns, 1x1 rounds in the facade above the arches, scattered round tiles for the edges of the scene). I like how you finally finished off the roof, too. And great minifig design and posing, and wonderful storytelling about the family. A great addition to Salida Este! :thumbup:

Thank you!  I tried to go with dark blue for the roof but didn't have enough corner slopes.  Black seemed to work fairly well though!

On 12/16/2018 at 12:06 AM, Bodi said:

That's a very good looking house, I see some interesting building techniques here, nice job.:thumbup:

Thanks Bodi!

On 12/16/2018 at 6:28 AM, Ayrlego said:

I'm loving the 'new' Salida Este MOCs at the moment (although I haven't got around to commenting on the other two yet - something I will soon rectify!). Am I correct in assuming this spree is somewhat inspired by the Kaliphin at Work Collab? :pir_laugh2:

Anyway, the first think I noticed here was the use of the yellowish green bricks - they look great, especially combined with the white. I really like the door arch, lots of great detail, especially the headlight brick with the 1x1 rounded tile attached. That looks really good. The mini-figs are well composed and placed - I really like the forestman hat as a plant holder!

Thanks!  Well, maybe slightly on my part (trust me to sign myself up for half a dozen building projects at the same time) but Capt Wolf and Elosterion didn't (and possibly don't?) know anything about the Kaliphlin collab.

I just wish I had yellowish green headlight bricks for the 1x1 rounded tooth tiles. :pir_tong2:

On 12/16/2018 at 7:18 AM, Khorne said:

What a lovely build! The color used here really pops out and gives a very Carribean architectural feel to this build. I love the way you did the columns, as well. Great building all around!

Thank you!  Look out for some more light colored buildings in the future! :pir-wink:

18 hours ago, Bart said:

Great use of that colour green, and like the Prof said already excelent minifig posing of the water carrier

Thanks Bart!

The colors work well and there's a lot of subtle details everywhere that really make the sense of multiple things happening all over the estate.   Great job.   

This MOC is just an absolutely amazing creation. Thanks for giving me a chance to borrow the column design. Colour choice and the overall execution are just marvellous.

Also really cool idea to put some round 1x1 LGB tiles around the MOC, this gives an amazing irregular and "blending" effect to the actually just plain rectangular base. Very, very clever.

Very nice job pulling off this crazy color-scheme Kai! :grin:  You've managed to get some pretty sweet minifig combos in here too (though a couple are just plain outlandish! :tongue:), but my favorite detail is probably the use of white rods to fill up the gaps up top - still trying to wrap my head around the math going on right there :laugh:

On 12/17/2018 at 12:56 PM, Roadmonkeytj said:

The colors work well and there's a lot of subtle details everywhere that really make the sense of multiple things happening all over the estate.   Great job.   

Thank you!

2 hours ago, Elostirion said:

This MOC is just an absolutely amazing creation. Thanks for giving me a chance to borrow the column design. Colour choice and the overall execution are just marvellous.

Also really cool idea to put some round 1x1 LGB tiles around the MOC, this gives an amazing irregular and "blending" effect to the actually just plain rectangular base. Very, very clever.

Thanks man, as they say, imitation is the highest type of flattery!

2 hours ago, Garmadon said:

Very nice job pulling off this crazy color-scheme Kai! :grin:  You've managed to get some pretty sweet minifig combos in here too (though a couple are just plain outlandish! :tongue:), but my favorite detail is probably the use of white rods to fill up the gaps up top - still trying to wrap my head around the math going on right there :laugh:

Thanks Garmadon!  Hem! I wonder who you might be talking about... :tongue:  Oh yes, the white L bars - I didn't figure that out mathematically myself, just stuck whatever fit in the gaps. :laugh: