Sign in to follow this  
zephyr1934

Studded battery box cover

We like 4Dbrix, they come up with some nice work.  I just wonder how the clutch power of thr 3D printing will last?  I may just have to get one and try it out, though I use the lipo batteries.

Looks like a great idea! I can see lots of good uses for it. In my 4 custom locos the battery box is an integral parts of the structure. I do not fasten the two screws on bottom that fasten the case to the innards. When I change batteries the battery box stays fixed in place and I just slide out the 6 cells and their carrier. This could shrink some 6 wide builds down to just 5 wide (the box plus a tile on each side equaling 5 in my mind). Think I'll order one to play with. 

Edit, ordered. About $10.50 shipped. Worth a try.

Edited by sed6

It is doubtful that a similar PUP design would be as simple to produce.   Sady, the PUP battery pack lid has a separation line that is between 1 and 2 bricks in height from the bottom.  The entire top half is the PUP hub itself.   To cover that with studs in a similar approach would be much more difficult, as they'd have to essentially replace the HUB with their design.

I meant just the bottom of the PUP box, even if there is one or two rows of studs missing at the top that would still allow for the use of smaller tiles.

On 12/20/2018 at 1:27 AM, zephyr1934 said:

I meant just the bottom of the PUP box, even if there is one or two rows of studs missing at the top that would still allow for the use of smaller tiles.

Even a plate with tiles would be acceptable honestly. 

I think it might be a bit too wide for 4-wide MOCs (plus maybe too long also), but I can see it being very useful for 6-wide. As @sed6 said, by the time you add tiles it’s going to be 5-wide. I think I’ll pass on this for any future 4-wide scale creations I might build.

The PUP is held together by 6 screws (2 philips and 4 torx).  The circuit board is 4x8 and 1 brick tall. The tall components are the connectors and the 1000 mF capacitor.  You could in theory take it out.  Desolder the power pins and re-mount it into a custom enclosure with a custom battery/power setup.