Sign in to follow this  
FTG Prime

[MOC] Delta 7 Starfighter

Hello everyone !

It is my pleasure to finally show you a model that has been in the making for a while now, My take on the Delta 7 Starfighter.

45581618024_887d60cd91_z.jpg

The Delta 7 has been one of my favorite starchips in Star Wars for a while, in fact it was the first major set i got, so it was very important to me to make justice to this craft.

Befor anything, huge shoutout to: M G, Atlas & Maelven for being the main inspiration for this model.

This particular model was made to be as close to minifig scale as i could get it to be, this being 11 studs width, 23 studs in lenght and 4.5 studs in height. (taking in acount a minifig being 6 foot-ish) my model comes slightly larger than that being 25 studs in lenght & 6 studs in height, but this is due to the parts i used and to make it quite swooshable.

45581387374_f581643fc4_z.jpg

45392068055_ee2f3bd477_z.jpg

44488261140_507cae4793_z.jpg

I'll admit that some of the proportions are a bit off, but considering the size this is made on, i think that's a fair trade off.

One of the most intuitive features of this model is it's ability to sport all the colors and variations seen in canon (from Mace Windu's to Ashoka's), which just shows how customizable the model is. Here are some renders of Obi Wan's along with the rest of the crew's:

45801279322_e1e6af6a07_z.jpg

31630533428_d28e2a7390_z.jpg

45503244991_8229c03584_z.jpg

As with most of my models i did in fact make instructions for these, which you can buy over here !: https://ebay.us/4EBNjp

Besides you also get some original artwork i made for it:

45125834924_840afba89b_z.jpg

Really hope you like it ! As always any feedback is more than welcome.

May the force be with you

-Prime

Edited by FTG Prime

Is something wrong with me as I want to pet this thing? :D It's so cute. And seemingly a great build too! You have my full appreciation for this design!

Except one thing - on the renders the large white arch slopes interfere with the tille in the wings. On your real build the whole cockpit assembly sits higher so it clears. Where is that coming from?

Edited by Kristof

Man those are pretty.  Also, fwiw, the 7's have the astromech on the side, the 7B's have them right in front of the cockpit.

Doesn't impact your work, just adding.

On 12/14/2018 at 6:41 AM, Kristof said:

Is something wrong with me as I want to pet this thing? :D It's so cute. And seemingly a great build too! You have my full appreciation for this design!

Except one thing - on the renders the large white arch slopes interfere with the tille in the wings. On your real build the whole cockpit assembly sits higher so it clears. Where is that coming from?

Haha thanks Kristof, glad you like it to the point of wanting to pet it ? lol

As for your question, the whole assembly that sits higher has a 1 milimeter gap so everything has the clearence to assemble, on the renders i couldn't replicate this so it has that phasing look.

On 12/14/2018 at 8:10 AM, xadrian said:

Man those are pretty.  Also, fwiw, the 7's have the astromech on the side, the 7B's have them right in front of the cockpit.

Doesn't impact your work, just adding.

Thank you ! Yes i'm quite aware of the variants of  the Delta 7, i state so in the instruction manual in fact, but i wanted to keep things simple on the post. Apreciate it tho !

20 hours ago, Reaper said:

They look great! I really want one on my desk now! 

Thank you ! It does make a really nice desk piece.

3 hours ago, Faladrin said:

Really good take on this one !

A great design ! Very effective !

Now, me too, I want one... :laugh:

Good job !

Thank you very much ! Glad you like it

This is really well done. It reminds me a bit of the Slave 1 in the new Cloud City set, since they are both ships in a smaller scale than lego normally makes them (while stile fitting a minifigure). And I think Lego should make more of this in a slightly smaller scale, so sets become more affordable. 

Anyway, I think your creation is great. You made it compact while still having enough detail to it, And I wouldn't mine seeing more creations in this scale! And by the way, you should make the Obi Wan version for real, the brownish red and lemon green accents are the best. :blush:

Just like everyone else has said: it's very cute but also a very effective and compact design, much better than what TLG produces. Is there any way to lower the very tip of the nose, though?

Btw, but is it possible to build your version out of just the parts from 75214?

I am not sure what to think. Overall it is pretty good but for me the final result is somewhat broken by the nose which just doesn't fit:

44488261140_507cae4793_z.jpg

Here it is most visible. At the very least the nose should be moved one if not two plates lower, but personally I'd try to do someting completely else. Right now, it is higher, flatter, smoother and does not match the edge of the angled section. 

On 12/15/2018 at 4:00 PM, Hollander said:

This is really well done. It reminds me a bit of the Slave 1 in the new Cloud City set, since they are both ships in a smaller scale than lego normally makes them (while stile fitting a minifigure). And I think Lego should make more of this in a slightly smaller scale, so sets become more affordable. 

Anyway, I think your creation is great. You made it compact while still having enough detail to it, And I wouldn't mine seeing more creations in this scale! And by the way, you should make the Obi Wan version for real, the brownish red and lemon green accents are the best. :blush:

Thank you ! Now that you mention it it really does look like one of those builds. And i'm glad you like it ! I am planning on building Obi Wan's i'm just waiting for the Holiday season to be over lol :laugh:

On 12/15/2018 at 8:41 PM, jamesn said:

Just like everyone else has said: it's very cute but also a very effective and compact design, much better than what TLG produces. Is there any way to lower the very tip of the nose, though?

Thank you ! I honestly haven't tried it, i'll see what i can do :) 

On 12/16/2018 at 12:52 AM, Reaper said:

Btw, but is it possible to build your version out of just the parts from 75214?

Haven't  done the exact count but you can use about 40 pieces from the most recent Anakin's Starfighter.

5 hours ago, Jerac said:

I am not sure what to think. Overall it is pretty good but for me the final result is somewhat broken by the nose which just doesn't fit:

Here it is most visible. At the very least the nose should be moved one if not two plates lower, but personally I'd try to do someting completely else. Right now, it is higher, flatter, smoother and does not match the edge of the angled section. 

Hey Jerac ! Huge fan of you ! Means a lot that you took the time to check this out and thank you for your feedback ! I do see what you mean there, i honestly didn't even payed that much attention to that significant angle difference, maybe lowering the nose a plate would help like you said, but i think re-building the nose is a better option, i'll see what i can do... Any suggestions ?

Edited by FTG Prime

Yeah you need to find something pointy for the tip, but also flat. I'd try to continue the wedge pattern you have - also replace 3x6 with pair of 2x3 to save yourself 3 studs - and add that pointy piece, whatever would it be, in front. 
Maybe a road sign? Altough it is too wide... on the other hand not much wider than pair of slopes you use already.
892.png

Or you can try to do sth like in this one:

32075828990_42eb57b522_b.jpg

in this one it flushes just right.

22 hours ago, Jerac said:

Yeah you need to find something pointy for the tip, but also flat. I'd try to continue the wedge pattern you have - also replace 3x6 with pair of 2x3 to save yourself 3 studs - and add that pointy piece, whatever would it be, in front. 
Maybe a road sign? Altough it is too wide... on the other hand not much wider than pair of slopes you use already.

Or you can try to do sth like in this one:

in this one it flushes just right.

The road sign solution is very interesting... i may do some tests with that concept later down the line...

For now i just lowered the nose 2 plates and i gotta say i'm very happy with how it looks ! So thanks @jamesn & @Jerac for pointing it out !

NOTE: Please forgive the not so fancy pictures, i'll do a proper photoshoot eventually

45648483874_2fc636bfdb_z.jpg

32499556968_2a55cd4662_z.jpg

Yeah it is far better now, actually it is "just right". I'd maybe try cheese slopes on the tops of 1x3 slopes but that is entirely personal taste. 
Good job on this!

19 hours ago, Jerac said:

Yeah it is far better now, actually it is "just right". I'd maybe try cheese slopes on the tops of 1x3 slopes but that is entirely personal taste. 
Good job on this!

I did this on my (lightly modified) IcarusBuilds Delta-7B and it worked great. No pictures of my model, but similar construction of the nose: https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/158763-moc-minifig-scale-delta-7b-aethersprite-class-light-interceptor/&tab=comments#comment-2919482