Sign in to follow this  
ProvenceTristram

[MOC] NZR 3-foot, 6 inch gauge KA Class 4-8-4

I've decided to start doing all 3½' narrow gauge locomotive and equipment with actual 3-wide wheel spacing, and 7-wide bodies. Although (curved) track doesn't exist and cannot readily be made for this gauge, I do feel like these dimensions do a much better job of capturing Cape gauge as a whole - the result is a model that is properly scaled to minifigs, and still allows for some level of interior detailing (and makes it easier to fit electronics. Another nice benefit of this size is that - just like the real thing - it's about 3/4ths the size of a standard gauge locomotive... and is therefore about 3/4ths the number of parts [in this case, a very thrifty 1,432]). An obvious downside is that it pretty much destroys all narrow gauge work I have done up to this point... but I'm willing to make that sacrifice to produce better results overall.

This particular locomotive is powered (by a worm gear running under the drivers), and has decent play on the lead and trailing trucks. I feel like it's a fairly solid representation of the real thing - which, despite being a 'big' engine, is still decidedly toy like IRL (look at the photo with the people linked below - the kids are almost as tall as the drivers!). As for the KAs, NZR designed them when garratts intended for North Island work proved to be mechanical disasters (for the record, I hate garratts). Three still survive, and are either in service or are being restored to service. When running, they're pretty impressive, despite their size.

Proto:

ajuLCCi.jpg

E5JDoYl.jpg

9NjiVRp.jpg

R2UGLg0.jpg

xHP6Mft.jpg

Model:

V2gfJAs.png

u9uBYGf.png

NbqiVm0.png

kiKznP9.png

Edited by ProvenceTristram

That is pretty cool!

For the track gauge, you could pretty easily work out to 3D print a single rail that sits inside the current offerings and shares the other rail with the standard gauge track.

Like this:
2013517141133_DSCF2360.JPG

10 minutes ago, supertruper1988 said:

That is pretty cool!

Thanks. 

I always spot at least one flaw with my loco after posting. In this case, I've raised the cylinders one full brick to their correct (and unusual) height:

rg6LMcd.png

The prototype is a beauty, I did not know about those engines, and the MOC does it well. Only the smallest of suggestions, assuming you don't want those studs on the top rear of the tender, you could use this relatively new part to do away with them.

27263.jpg

On 12/12/2018 at 12:33 PM, supertruper1988 said:

That is pretty cool!

For the track gauge, you could pretty easily work out to 3D print a single rail that sits inside the current offerings and shares the other rail with the standard gauge track.

Like this:

There is this bit of track...

500_500_productGfx_82f5124ab0c9816c88feb

...and there are already rails that sit inside standard R40 curves to make dual gauge track (see the Ferrobus presentation video on my Flickr page to see some in use).

42 minutes ago, zephyr1934 said:

The prototype is a beauty, I did not know about those engines, and the MOC does it well. Only the smallest of suggestions, assuming you don't want those studs on the top rear of the tender, you could use this relatively new part to do away with them.

27263.jpg

There is this bit of track...

500_500_productGfx_82f5124ab0c9816c88feb

I knew of this one but he mentioned that he is using 3 studs between wheels leading to a 5 stud wide rail spacing (one less than current) It would need a whole custom solution.

3 hours ago, supertruper1988 said:

I knew of this one but he mentioned that he is using 3 studs between wheels leading to a 5 stud wide rail spacing (one less than current) It would need a whole custom solution.

Not to mention that NZ doesn't have dual gauge track - 3'6" is their "standard gauge"...

1 hour ago, Pdaitabird said:

I really like your solution for a compact cowcatcher...yet another technique that I'll have to steal!

Thanks, I actually made that one up myself.

6 hours ago, supertruper1988 said:

Doh! Missed that

4 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

I really like your solution for a compact cowcatcher...yet another technique that I'll have to steal!

Doh! Missed that too... brilliant!

Nice model I would love to have a copy to make and have it run on lego Gauge track. 7wide is the best for detail i think it is hard but looks best.

I have also been on this Loco IRL and its sisters they are nice big locos best we sort of have in little NZ. They still cant beat a A4 in my hart for the King of steam.