cooper87

[MOC] Row home

This is the first MOC modular building that I designed since getting back into Lego a few months ago. I tried to design a Dutch row house, sort of inspired by our own house (although we have an extra floor and it's a corner unit, but styling wise). It includes a classic brick wall with big wooden window frames and a wooden beam supporting the roof. The long term idea is to create a couple of similar looking houses to create a row to put in my city. This would be the first one. I haven't designed an interior yet as I find that quite annoying with the software, I'll probably just do that once I've actually built the thing. That's when I'll also put a little more detail on the pavement (such as parked bikes), just need to see how it actually looks once it's built.

What do you guys think? Any ideas/pointers to improve on this?

moc.jpg

Edited by cooper87

Looks great and I think it will work really well as a row of houses!  The only thing I would suggest is maybe changing the window panes to normal glass and then having brick built curtains instead. 

That's a good start!

Besides what Kristel already mentioned I think every floor could be one brick higher. It does look a little cramped.

57 minutes ago, Kristel said:

Looks great and I think it will work really well as a row of houses!  The only thing I would suggest is maybe changing the window panes to normal glass and then having brick built curtains instead. 

Thanks! They actually are meant to be normal glass, I must've selected the wrong window style in Studio. Thought it looked weird :)

25 minutes ago, peedeejay said:

That's a good start!

Besides what Kristel already mentioned I think every floor could be one brick higher. It does look a little cramped.

Thanks! I'll try adding one brick per level and see what it looks like.

Great work! You’ve done well to avoid the temptation to overcomplicate things, and there is a good balance between realism and nice technique.

Thanks guys! Some very encouraging replies. I was a bit hesitant to post/build this, as I know it doesn't come close to some of the beautiful MOC's posted on this forum, but I guess it's a decent start to a MOC career :)

Looks great! If you do a row of them, it would be cool too see different colors of the masonry bricks and widows to give each a little character. There are also various techniques to make open curtains which could also be great!