Veynom

[MOC] AT-DT: The Walking Gun

Recommended Posts

And here comes my latest MOC/mashup. This is an AT-DT which is very briefly seen in Solo, a Star Wars story. Its turret immediatly made me think to a mix between a German WW2 sIG 33 and a FLAK 88.

44443204000_c341a765e2_c.jpg
AT-DT by Veynom, on Flickr

For this model, I have really mashed up existing MOCs found on the Internet, existing sets, and my own freedom.

  • The turret is based on the excellent model from  Bricksfeeder on Rebrickable. The front armored panel was modified to remove a stress issue and suppress the gaps between the front and side panels. Side panels were also adapted.
  • The main body is taken from the set 75201: First Order AT-ST but updated (rebuilt) for balance purpose. I kept the rotating mechanism. 
  • For the legs, I first started from those from the 75201 but then I completely rebuilt them to better match the canon shape. I found a robust solution with the feet connection from set 75083 (AT-DP) allowing me to connect th enice design of Bircksfeeder's feed to my legs. Balance is maintained as long as you do not shake it too much.

Rear view: a minifig can easily sit inside.
44443203510_05f6300fa2_b.jpg
AT-DT rear view by Veynom, on Flickr

44443204230_98b23f087f.jpg
AT-DT by Veynom, on Flickr

Regarding scale, it can be compared to a minifig and to a smaller AT-MB (Mobile Battery)
31321320197_a2f6181faa.jpg
AT-MB and AT-DT by Veynom, on Flickr

44443205240_4519469f17_z.jpg
AT-DT and AT-MB by Veynom, on Flickr

Then I've asked  my friend Muad'Brick to abuse of his virtual skills on my pictures and he came up with this:
31321320367_4c2106f7e6_c.jpg
AT-DT - Ewoks Killer by Veynom, on Flickr

And this:
44443202670_cb32be8db2_c.jpg
AT-DT Flower Power Variant by Veynom, on Flickr


Ans because size does not matter, here is the microscale version (13 parts):

46206448092_d9c18750e0.jpg
Micro AT-DT by Veynom, on Flickr

PS: ABefore you ask, no, I have no LDD of my final model but the excellent original model from Bricksfeeder is available on Rebrickable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hot damn, you did a great job!  Great texturing and greebling.  If you based it off 75201, there's no "ankle" movement and only "hip" movement correct?  It looks pretty stable overall, like you said as long as you're careful.  I love what you did with the seat and and controls, really the whole back.  Are the raised tiles on the front face held on by brackets?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Reaper said:

This looks great! Will there be instructions?

 

6 hours ago, Veynom said:

PS: ABefore you ask, no, I have no LDD of my final model but the excellent original model from Bricksfeeder is available on Rebrickable.

Not from Veynom, but you can mod Bricksfeeder's! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is really great! One of the better AT-DT MOCs I've seen. The level of greebling is impressive, and you've done a great job in synthesizing the various designs to make your own thing. I don't know  what your dedication to source accuracy is, but I think a really easy fix would be to replace the stickered 2x2 LBG tile with a hinge plate and tiles to capture the angled armored section seen below the turret section. All in all, a great MOC!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DrMuttonchops said:

Hot damn, you did a great job!  Great texturing and greebling.  If you based it off 75201, there's no "ankle" movement and only "hip" movement correct?  It looks pretty stable overall, like you said as long as you're careful.  I love what you did with the seat and and controls, really the whole back.  Are the raised tiles on the front face held on by brackets?

Correct, only hips movement is possible but practically, it is useless. Unless I want to use the gun as a AA gun or from the top of a cliff to shoot at the bottom.

Yes, the raised tiles are held through 1x1 brackets and the tiles are hiding the empty location due to these 1x1 brackets now being thick as a plate.

Thanks for the nice words.

3 hours ago, JoeChu1980 said:

You know what, per your wonderful GUN part MOC, you almost could build a perfect WW2 German 88mm AT gun now.

Actually, I've used the FLAK 2cm and the FLAK vierling designs already ... I suppose the 88mm will be next, once I unleash myself on the WW2 theme ... 

32567851176_a964bb9725_n.jpg

Imperial Quad Laser Turret by Veynom, on Flickr

27335616516_b836bd856b_n.jpg

AA Gun - Clone Wars by Veynom, on Flickr

I often use the 2 above turrets on my layouts, as standalone or mounted on a vehicle.

5 hours ago, Junior Shark said:

This is really great! One of the better AT-DT MOCs I've seen. The level of greebling is impressive, and you've done a great job in synthesizing the various designs to make your own thing. I don't know  what your dedication to source accuracy is, but I think a really easy fix would be to replace the stickered 2x2 LBG tile with a hinge plate and tiles to capture the angled armored section seen below the turret section. All in all, a great MOC!

Thank you.

Source accuracy is what it can be. In the movie, you mainly see this walker crashed on the ground. On the internet, I mostly found pictures of the toys. I have not a copy of the books where official pictures could be found.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.