Sign in to follow this  
Roadmonkeytj

[MOD] Modern engines

So I finally laid eyes personally on the 10219 Maersk Train set when a LUG member brought the unpowered unit to our last show.  Now while it's a great looking set ... I'm not fond of Diesel ... let alone modern equipment(anything after the 50's that's not steam) ... However saying that, I saw some real potential in this model.   There seems to be an army of these rolling around my part of the country with CSX paint on them and I said what the hell I love the motor detailing for a "B" unit and our local yard rarely runs single units (aside from the yard dog)  So I borrowed the instructions and assembled it in LDD.   Then I took to the task of verifying if the parts are available in CSX livery.  Turns out they all were.   The only parts I changed were the seat detail in the cab.   The side 6x12 plate for a full stud plate to mount the car tiles to.  And instead of the 2x4 tile that had the stripe decal on it I changed that (on both sides)  to 2x3 blue tile and 1x2 yellow tile.    All of the parts are available in the New livery although I have not priced this yet It will be built in brick in 2019 sometime.  I plan to use the PU hub and motor so I also swapped a 2x4 tile into where the IR sensor would have mounted. 

So without further adieu here is my recolor.

CSX.lxf

Edited by Roadmonkeytj

Indeed, the Maersk set is ripe for repainting (and usually a lot cheaper to do so). If you do not care about the PF, the long hood can easily be done in bricks instead of the large tiles too.

6 minutes ago, zephyr1934 said:

Indeed, the Maersk set is ripe for repainting (and usually a lot cheaper to do so). If you do not care about the PF, the long hood can easily be done in bricks instead of the large tiles too.

I intend to keep the mock motor in the "towed unit" but the other unit I pulled the motor for the powered up hub and replaced one of the trucks with the train motor.  

I do remember I used to have one, the Maersk train is indeed a great set. How about repainting it yellow?

5 hours ago, Reaper said:

I do remember I used to have one, the Maersk train is indeed a great set. How about repainting it yellow?

I did not check the availability of all yellow...  You thinking chesie paint?...  

Edited by Roadmonkeytj

8 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

I did not check the availability of all yellow...  You thinking chesie paint?...  

I mean switching the bricks to yellow :grin:

So it would look something like this:

Image result for yellow diesel train

Although I'm not sure if all the colours are avaliable.

3 hours ago, Reaper said:

I mean switching the bricks to yellow :grin:

So it would look something like this:

Image result for yellow diesel train

Although I'm not sure if all the colours are avaliable.

I honestly couldn't say as I was specifically looking for blue or dark blue.   Most of the parts are pretty common I don't see why you couldn't do that livery but it would just be a matter of checking parts avalibility Vs the parts list.