Sign in to follow this  
MKJoshA

Kaliphlin Fable: Princess Selena and the Monkey Faeries

Another build for CCC. Something different from my normal GoH build, but I feel like it fits the Kaliphlin style and aesthetic. Please share any critiques!

Princess Selena and the Monkey Faeries

Far away, in the land of Taabu, lived a fair princess. Her name was Selena and she was betrothed to be married to a handsome prince. But the evil Djinn of that land despised their happiness. So he sent a duo of Monkey Faeries to kidnap the fair princess. Will her guards be able to protect her?

Ha Ha this is great love the story.  The figs are excellent especially the monkey faeries.  The expression on the princess is priceless.  The build is very good too.  I like the offset floor and the use of the shield pieces on the wall.  Great job.  

Yeah that expression is great. I really like the corridor too because you could have gone really basic (which I would have done) but instead made it look intriguing with some nice details.

Really nice little scene! So many great parts usages - is the tan in the wall a 1x2 Technic plate repeated?

Also on the floor are those 2x2 dark tan tiles? How did you offset them like that?

The fig posing is well done and I like the parts used for the monkey faeries. My only comment would be it would have been good if you had Photoshopped out the trans clear stands, but it's a minor point.

Great work!

haha, nice shot ^^ love the floor texture and the decoration on the wall do fit the Kaliphinian style :thumbup:

Very nice, I too like the floor! It's nice to see some detail out the window too, adds another layer of the scene which otherwise would have been missing.

14 hours ago, Basiliscus said:

Really nice little scene! So many great parts usages - is the tan in the wall a 1x2 Technic plate repeated?

Also on the floor are those 2x2 dark tan tiles? How did you offset them like that?

The fig posing is well done and I like the parts used for the monkey faeries. My only comment would be it would have been good if you had Photoshopped out the trans clear stands, but it's a minor point.

Great work!

The tan piece is the new 1x2 round plate in tan. I got it in larger number of Bricks and Pieces.

The 2x2 dark tan tiles are on top of two 2x2 plates and then spaced with 1x2 tan tiles. It all rests on plates allowing for the offset of tile stacks and sideways tiles.

Interesting parts usage for the wall and floor! I also like the hint of forced perspective with the microscale builds outside the window as well as the faries :thumbup:

23 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

The tan piece is the new 1x2 round plate in tan. I got it in larger number of Bricks and Pieces.

Will look for a bunch of those too as soon as the Christmas break at BaP is over :wink: 

I really like the different textures you threw in here to mitigate the "tan wall syndrome" that Kali builds sometimes get. I think that the sideways shield motif should have been continued at the top, though, since it leaves the top corner edges of the wall seeming rather bare. The 1x2 rounded plates with hollow studs look great in the wall, though, and the floor technique is really neat. Thanks for explaining how to do it! My only other critique is that the scene would look better cropped to leave out the borders; as it is, it is almost an immersive, all-LEGO scene, but the edges throw it off. The posing works well, though, and I appreciate the story. It would be a fun task to illustrate stories and legends of different peoples and tribes around the Guilds... a future mini-challenge idea, perhaps. 

I think the standout here is the texture, as others have said.  The new rounded plates, the quarter circles, and the great layout of the tiles on the floor are awesome.  The mini posing is bery good, too.  I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking at with the flying monkeys, but that's kind of secondary.  Nice work!

Excellent use of a lot of new elements with those NK shields, quarter circle tiles, and 1x2 rounded plates :thumbup:The floor design is lovely, and gives a nice texture without being too busy.

Absolutely love the tiling on the ground there, and that's some creative parts usage.