Sign in to follow this  
Giacinto Consiglio

[MOC] Modular Casa Brickllo

I'm proud to introduce you my modular rendition of the marvellous Casa Batllo in Barcelona. My moc also includes an art nouveau townhouse which is being painted and repaired. Hope you like it!

46247721651_9a2b17dc8a_c.jpg

31308518657_24c3324da6_z.jpg

45334709965_ee8afe1e48.jpg

46247718971_1cb3f07f76.jpg

Edited by Giacinto Consiglio

You just made my day! Truly magnificent two Art Nouveau jewels you got here, Casa Batlló is instantly recognizable and brilliantly done, and the building on the left looks gorgeous! :wub_drool: You chose just the right parts to represent all the details of Casa Batlló and the windows of the townhouse are shaped brilliantly! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I have some suggestions to give if you don’t mind... :classic: I’m not really sure about the color scheme of them separately and together... I personally think that only white or only tan would work better for Casa Batlló and a few tones of blue would look nice on the top floor of Casa Batlló. Also I’m not totally sure about the way you used plates on the top floor, I think it looks blocky but it’s pretty difficult to capture the color splashes found in Casa Batlló better without using illegal techniques so I don’t really know how it could look better... Perhaps some flower pieces in different colors? Or, if you don’t mind using illegal techniques, it’s possible to use cheese slopes like in this MOC. You can check out this tutorial if you are interested in this and similar techniques as well as Katie Walker’s photostream and this Flickr group. I just love the color scheme of the townhouse on its own but I’m not really sure about the look of its colors next to Casa Batlló...

But after all, this is your MOC and it’s brilliantly done! :wub: Thanks so much for making Art Nouveau buildings, you really make my day! 

Keep up the incredible work! :sweet: :thumbup:

P.S. I highly recommend you to add your last MOCs (including this one) to lots of Flickr groups because they deserve a lot more faves! 

EDIT: This really grew up on me, I love it much more than yesterday! :grin_wub:

Edited by LegoModularFan

A big round of applaue for @Giacinto Consiglio. Casa Batlló is among the hardest buildings to recreate when it comes to shape and especially colours. This is, by far, better than the version I did some years ago and there's absolutely nothing I would point out that I dislike ( @LegoModularFan, I think that cheese slopes wouldn't do much better though :classic:). I'm just curious, how long have you had this MOC waiting? I remember you showed it to me when building that collaborative MOC last summer. Have you changed anything significant about it? I remember being impressed then by the beautiful angled balconies and rendered... I'm seriously in love. :wub: Oh, I love how you didn't leave the roof unfnished and placed a skylight. Super nice touch!

I'm guessing the yellow townhouse was built afterwards, as a counterpart to Casa Batlló, wasn't it? I must say I'm genuinely surprised how well yellow works with reddish brown and I absolutely adore how you've overcomplicated the architectural detailing just for the sake of it. In fact, the ground entrace to this house reminds me of the entrace to "Els Quatre Gats", a café where the Art Nouveau artists and architects of Barcelona hung out to discuss new ideas (with Gaudí among them, of course!). Not sure if it's actually inspired by that but it would make sense if it did :wink:. The round window on the second floor and the amazing six-wide "turret"-like protruding bit add a very nice touch that reminds me of Victor Horta's achitecture. Big fan of the slanted roofs too :classic:

What to say, then? By a long shot my favourite modular from yours and an absolute joy to behold. This is a really amazing modular.

Oh, I also love the inclusion of Saint George's spear in Casa Batlló, as it pierces through the dragon's back!

51 minutes ago, paupadros said:

A big round of applaue for @Giacinto Consiglio. Casa Batlló is among the hardest buildings to recreate when it comes to shape and especially colours. This is, by far, better than the version I did some years ago and there's absolutely nothing I would point out that I dislike ( @LegoModularFan, I think that cheese slopes wouldn't do much better though :classic:). I'm just curious, how long have you had this MOC waiting? I remember you showed it to me when building that collaborative MOC last summer. Have you changed anything significant about it? I remember being impressed then by the beautiful angled balconies and rendered... I'm seriously in love. :wub: Oh, I love how you didn't leave the roof unfnished and placed a skylight. Super nice touch!

I'm guessing the yellow townhouse was built afterwards, as a counterpart to Casa Batlló, wasn't it? I must say I'm genuinely surprised how well yellow works with reddish brown and I absolutely adore how you've overcomplicated the architectural detailing just for the sake of it. In fact, the ground entrace to this house reminds me of the entrace to "Els Quatre Gats", a café where the Art Nouveau artists and architects of Barcelona hung out to discuss new ideas (with Gaudí among them, of course!). Not sure if it's actually inspired by that but it would make sense if it did :wink:. The round window on the second floor and the amazing six-wide "turret"-like protruding bit add a very nice touch that reminds me of Victor Horta's achitecture. Big fan of the slanted roofs too :classic:

What to say, then? By a long shot my favourite modular from yours and an absolute joy to behold. This is a really amazing modular.

Oh, I also love the inclusion of Saint George's spear in Casa Batlló, as it pierces through the dragon's back!

I'm glad you appreciated it so much! Yes, I designed the yellow townhouse to match Casa Brickllo, but totally from scratch: I just looked at some random examples of art nouveau style windows and entrances and so on. I actually designed Casa Brickllo alone a long time ago, but without any interior or floor: it was merely an empty façade.

Oh, and that is dark orange, not reddish brown:wink:. Thanks again!!

Edited by Giacinto Consiglio

Again a very unique build. I like how you stick to your style and your builds are instantly recognizable. 

The balconies are very well done as well as the overall Barcelona look, especially the house on the left. Good stuff!

I love it! You managed to create a stunning building with odd colorscheme and shape. My favourite section is the roof of the right building. The colorful 1x2 slopes create a nice effect mimicking the shiny and curvy roof of the original building. The facade is done nicely as well, with the addition of some colorful plates. The protruding balconies are nice and challenging detail as well. It's not easy to recreate natural curves, but you settled for a great compromise. Here's another challenge for you. Do you know how many different colors you used for the right building? :devil:

Here we go: gold, white,dark azure, aqua, yellowish green, dark red, medium lavender, red, cool yellow, magenta, sand green, medium azure, medium blue, pink, dark tan, light bluish grey.....:laugh:

Beautiful! My fave feature is the shape of the roof on the right side building and as others have said already, the balconies look awesome. Top work as always. :thumbup::classic:

4 hours ago, Giacinto Consiglio said:

Here's a "family" pic of my Art Nouveau modular buildings :sweet:

They look incredible together, I love how it goes from the least crazy looking from the craziest one! Incredible job on all of these! :wub_drool:

By the way, what did you use to render? It doesn't look like Blender but the results are very convincing... Is it Stud.io?

16 hours ago, Giacinto Consiglio said:

Here's a "family" pic of my Art Nouveau modular buildings :sweet:

Together, they look simply glorious... :thumbup: :caroler:

Very good job,

I'm living near the spanish border in France and i go almost 7-8 times a year in the fantastic city of Barcelona... and when i look at the gaudi architecture, i ask myself how difficult it will be to reproduce his art with little bricks, his particular shape inspired...

When i looked at your creation, i recognize it in an instant...

Congratulations

Next step the sagrada familia ;););)