makoy

[REVIEW] 5005251- Penguin Winter Hut

gallery_6705_157_22742.png

Hohoho. Year-end holidays are coming. Everyone is busy with Christmas shopping and whatnot so this will be a very quick review of the recent free gift-with-purchase that I got. Without wasting time, here's my 18th RA review, set # 5005251 - Penguin Winter Hut.

Overview

Name: 5005251 - Penguin Winter Hut
Theme: Promotional 
Year: 2018 (December)
Pieces: 6 pcs
Minifigures: 1
Price: free with purchase

Offers vary per country/region. I'll update this section as I get more information.
Singapore: Free with purchase 80 SGD or more (Toys R Us exclusive)
Malaysia: Free with purchase 249 MYR or more (Toys R Us exclusive)

Note: TRU Asia, which operates TRU MY and TRU SG, is a completely different entity from TRU Canada and other spin-offs. 

Introduction

The packaging for this small set is very similar to the Banana Juice Bar that was released earlier this year. It has a glossy paper sleeve that covers the pentagonal prism box shaped like a hut.
46159929012_796a03921d_c.jpg

Apart from the packaging material that is shaped like a hut and printed with a hut graphics around it, the set should be really called Penguin Girl because the content is really just the female version of Penguin Boy. You can't really play with the hut so I can't fathom what's the thought process on coming up with a misleading name. Will collectors display the set using the winter hut? I know I won't because it doesn't add any value to the minifigure. This is similar to buying a book and then displaying a blurb or its hardcover. You don't buy the minifigure so you can display the box. If anything, it encourages collectors to keep their toys inside the box, "MISB" - which I totally disagree with. 

Anyway, I digressed.  All I am saying is that from here onwards, I'll call this set Penguin Girl.

Front (sleeve removed)
31271436897_3199fb56b5_c.jpg

The front panel of the box has perforated line traced at the edge of the door. Once pushed, this serves as the door to open the package to get the minifigure out of the box.

But before getting into the minifigure, let's explore what's printed on the packaging because there are some interesting items printed on it.

Back view (sleeve removed)

46159928852_64e444cb12_c.jpg

At the back, there are medium azure skis, trees and a bench  in front of a fire bon and a warm coffee . 

Bottom
46159928612_44156df8c9_c.jpg

Below, that's where we can find the 7-digit code for the set. Noticed that just like any ordinary box, the box has a flap that you can open if you don't want to use the 'front door'. 

You can find the other pictures such as the side panels in my Flickr album.

Minifigures

31271435667_191b97a86d_z.jpg

This is how it looks like when you unbox the minifigure without using the front perforated door. Inside, you get  a pair of skis and Penguin Girl minifigure.

If you read my previous review about the Vestas Wind Turbine, the entire set is a pitch about sustainability. Then here we are, looking at the same black plastic material used in previous advent calendars. It should have been the same white recycled paper material used in the newer advent calendars to be consistent with the aspirations for sustainability. Maybe TLG is reading this so please take note.

Anyway, let's focus on the minifigures, shall we?

Front view
31271435567_bace56e361_z.jpg

Penguin Girl is using the same black flippers used in Penguin Boy minifigure. The printing of the short black legs are also identical.

The torso is based on similar white penguin belly but with the scarf printing on top. Perhaps in the penguin world, scarf sets apart the girls from the boys?  ?      

Back view
31271435347_fb09cfd624_z.jpg

The scarf printing continues at the back. It is simple but I have no complaints about it.

Unfortunately, there is no side printing so we're not getting more printed parts apart from the back of the minifigure torso.

Front view the penguin headgear removed
31271435297_727b0a00c3_b.jpg

I am not sure if the face print is new as it looks like an opened mouth version of this face.

Sadly there is no dual face print in this minifigure.

Skis
31271435257_1e7abdb2e9_z.jpg

Of course we need to talk a little bit about the skis as it is the only accessory that comes with Penguin Girl. It is magenta in colour & comes with white snowflakes print. It is not necessary to add the additional print on the skis but the designers decided to go for the extra mile add the lovely snowflake patterns.

Conclusion

I like couples in CMF. We've got Forestman & Forest Maiden, Caveman & Cave Woman, Weightlifter & Fitness Instructor, Disco Dude & Disco Diva, Lifeguard & Lifeguard (S12), Skier & Downhill Skier, Surfer & Surfer Girl, Tennis Player & Tennis Ace, Tribal Hunter & Tomahawk, Punk Rocker & Rocker Girl, Clockwork Robot & Lady Robot, Cowboy & Cowgirl, Computer Programmer & Librarian, Cyclops & Lady Cyclops, Grandpa & Grandma, Lederhosen Guy & Pretzel Girl, Spooky Girl & Spooky Boy, Spider Lady, LEGO Brick Suit Girl & LEGO Brick Suit Boy. I know there are more and if I miss, do let me know below what's your favourite pair or couple.

As for the animal costumed CMF, there is Unicorn Girl and Unicorn Guy. Then now, there is Penguin Boy and Penguin Girl.

31271435157_caa87a2d32_c.jpg

Isn't that cute?

So, having said that, here's the verdict. Drum roll please:

Review summary

Playability: 6/10 - Having only accessories limit the playability but this is definitely aimed at CMF collectors so the omission of any build is not an issue. 
Design / Building Experience: N/A - Not applicable / not scored.
Minifigures8/10 - Makes the Penguin Boy happier now that he has a partner. It's also a good addition to animal costume collectors.
Price / Value for money: 10/10 - You should get this free of charge but if you can't, the price should be quite fair for a limited release minifigure.
Overall: 8/10 - Cute and satisfactory. Don't buy this for the winter hut, ok? Buy it for the Penguin Girl.

Once again, thank you and enjoy the year-end holidays. Until next time!

Thank you very much for the great review, makoy! :classic:

This is a very lovely minifigure. :wub:

It's only a shame that it isn't sold via TRU here in Germany (which was originally stated on other fan sites). So I had to buy it totally overpriced via Ebay and therefore only one - originally I wanted to have minimum two (one sealed and minimum one minifigure as a friend for the CMF penguin suit boy for my Winter Village). :thumbdown:

37 minutes ago, Klaus-Dieter said:

Thank you very much for the great review, makoy! :classic:

This is a very lovely minifigure. :wub:

It's only a shame that it isn't sold via TRU here in Germany (which was originally stated on other fan sites). So I had to buy it totally overpriced via Ebay and therefore only one - originally I wanted to have minimum two (one sealed and minimum one minifigure as a friend for the CMF penguin suit boy for my Winter Village). :thumbdown:

Thank you. I don't know where else can you find it ... but as more stores get this over the holidays, I do hope that the price will come down if you are going to buy from secondary market place.

Thanks for the review. She looks lovely

I don't like that they didn't change anything in the mask. Like the Banana Guy who got 100% revamped for the promo version

My favorite couple is the S1 Forestman and the S9 Forest Maiden

20 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Thanks for the review. She looks lovely

I don't like that they didn't change anything in the mask. Like the Banana Guy who got 100% revamped for the promo version

My favorite couple is the S1 Forestman and the S9 Forest Maiden

I was making fun of the scarf because Penguin Girl could have something added on the mask instead of the torso. Maybe longer eyelashes? I guess the girl face print served that purpose.

I'm not the biggest fan of "costumed" CMF archetypes, but this figure kinda shows me how I'd maybe be a little more forgiving of them if they had just a little more printed detailing (much like the earlier Banana Juice Bar guy). In this case, the scarf make for a lovely touch on what would otherwise I'd find to be a rather bland figure. :thumbup:

9 hours ago, makoy said:

I know there are more and if I miss, do let me know below what's your favourite pair or couple.

Would you consider the Series 1 Spaceman and the Series 6 Intergalactic Girl a couple? :classic:

Thanks for the review. I wasn't even aware of my own country's TRU promotion until you have pointed it out. Now you are making me think whether if I should get this exclusive minifigure design to couple with my CMFs Penguin Suit Guy. :tongue: 

The printed Ski's are great to see such detail.

The minifig not having regular arms doesn't appeal to me personally however, I like to be able to mix and match torsos.

Great review! The penguin girl looks great, I really like the printing on the skiis!

12 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I'm not the biggest fan of "costumed" CMF archetypes, but this figure kinda shows me how I'd maybe be a little more forgiving of them if they had just a little more printed detailing (much like the earlier Banana Juice Bar guy). In this case, the scarf make for a lovely touch on what would otherwise I'd find to be a rather bland figure. :thumbup:

Would you consider the Series 1 Spaceman and the Series 6 Intergalactic Girl a couple? :classic:

The case with Banana Juice Bar guy is that we got no printing on the yellow banana costume and much more detail on the actual minifigure, which is really awesome. I don't think the same approach will apply to Penguin Girl because it doesn't have a removal costume except the headgear. 

As suggested earlier, it would have been better if the headgear has a slight variation to give Penguin Girl a girly look apart from the scarf. 

Spaceman and  Intergalactic Girl looks like a couple, but Intergalactic Girl said to Spaceman, "I want space" and so I don't know their status now. 

10 hours ago, WhiteFang said:

Thanks for the review. I wasn't even aware of my own country's TRU promotion until you have pointed it out. Now you are making me think whether if I should get this exclusive minifigure design to couple with my CMFs Penguin Suit Guy. :tongue: 

Go think about it Fangy.  I rarely find something that is instantly available in this side of the world and not available elsewhere.

8 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

The printed Ski's are great to see such detail.

The minifig not having regular arms doesn't appeal to me personally however, I like to be able to mix and match torsos.

Personally, I think the flippers look great as it is. I rarely swap arms lately because I don't want to loosen up the torso arm holes. However, do mix and match them as you wish if that appeals to you more. 

3 hours ago, Reaper said:

Great review! The penguin girl looks great, I really like the printing on the skiis!

Thanks, and I agree -- the skis look sassy!

20 hours ago, makoy said:

I was making fun of the scarf because Penguin Girl could have something added on the mask instead of the torso. Maybe longer eyelashes? I guess the girl face print served that purpose.

Maybe some yellow printing on mask to make it look like an emperor penguin or something

Thanks for the review.  The printed skis are great.  They should have done that for last year's Friends winter sets.  I think it would go really well.

13 hours ago, makoy said:

Personally, I think the flippers look great as it is. I rarely swap arms lately because I don't want to loosen up the torso arm holes. However, do mix and match them as you wish if that appeals to you more. 

Oh they still look great for what they are, penguin suit style as intended.

The scarf certainly makes this one a bit more minifig/winter themed too.

I don't pull out arms either, not even swap hands, as I see Torsos as 1 assembly piece.

I just meant that this torso has no regular hands (similar with Cactus/Chicken/Shark Suit torsos) but look fine for their intended "suit" looks.

Edited by TeriXeri