Lamborghini Waffle Sauce

[MOC]First Order TIE-SF Heavy Bomber

As a follow-up to my custom Z-95 Headhunter, I immediately built it a worthy adversary.

31298683347_2721f27a85_c.jpg

The First Order is seriously lacking TIE variants, most notably a bomber (that hologram shown by DJ in The Last Jedi doesn't… doesn't count.) The official First Order TIE bomber may be just rehash of the Imperial model, but I was inspired by YouTuber E.C. Henry's own take on the craft, along with a digital model he made here (video link). The only thing I changed is add a red Special Forces livery, as this is a heavy bomber with more guns. Perhaps the official TIE bombers are the all-black regular TIE bombers, just like the TIE-SF fighter is different from the First Order TIE fighter.

44420516990_53c86af410_c.jpg

44420515040_03c121f158_c.jpg

The cockpit module was inspired by Jerac's TIE Bomber MOC, and I also studied his TIE Advanced and TIE Interceptor for the building techniques on the solar wings. I am quite proud of the hexagonal parts and all the simple greebling on it.

There are more pics on the flickr album.

Lastly, here it is facing off against some Z-95 Headhunters who have discovered a huge secret...

46130020262_b63c4b6eb9_c.jpg

Edited by Lamborghini Waffle Sauce

That looks awesome! Your MOCs look fantastic, I'm sure many people would pay for instructions if you made them!

Great looking ship! I like the new shape of panels, very fitting the new FO aesthetics, and the hole in rear part is super cool! I bet the hole is there so it doesn't tip to the rear? Clever!

One question though:
How did ship from pre-Yavin ear meet a ship from post-Yavin era? :D

Edited by Jerac

Cool ship, but the longer, pointy part of the wings going backwards gives me a super-awkward feeling. All Ties with asymetrical wing design i can remember have a forward-design. Looking at it my brain constantly cries "WRONG!". 

7 hours ago, m4st3rt3ch said:

Cool ship, but the longer, pointy part of the wings going backwards gives me a super-awkward feeling. All Ties with asymetrical wing design i can remember have a forward-design. Looking at it my brain constantly cries "WRONG!". 

7 hours ago, Jerac said:

Great looking ship! I like the new shape of panels, very fitting the new FO aesthetics, and the hole in rear part is super cool! I bet the hole is there so it doesn't tip to the rear? Clever!

One question though:
How did ship from pre-Yavin ear meet a ship from post-Yavin era? :D

I didn't design the ship. That was all E.C. Henry on YouTube. I just built it in LEGO… A backwards-design may seem wrong because it's new and different. I quite like it, it gives the ship a new form of streamlined-ness.

And let's face it, common and sturdy pre-Yavin spacecraft such as the Z-95 may still be used for a long long time, especially by the galactic underworld and other, uh, commoners. I think of the Z-95 as the Honda Civic of the galaxy. When I built that Z-95 MOC, I imagined it as a newer, sequel era model, just like how the T-70 and T-85 is to the T-65 X-wing. (would that make that a Z-100 or Z-110 Headhunter?

18 minutes ago, Lamborghini Waffle Sauce said:

I didn't design the ship. That was all E.C. Henry on YouTube. I just built it in LEGO… A backwards-design may seem wrong because it's new and different. I quite like it, it gives the ship a new form of streamlined-ness.

I know, you did a perfect job. Maybe it's because it reminds me so much of Kylo Ren's Tie.

Hot dang dude, this is stellar.  E.C. Henry did a great job designing it, and you did a fantastic job bringing it to life!  Color blocking looks nice, but the Special Forces regular TIE had the red on the opposite side, not that it matters a ton.  I love the holes in the wings, they really make the ship stand out.  The greebling also takes the cake, it simultaneously looks sleek and detailed.  

Edited by DrMuttonchops

On 12/9/2018 at 1:32 PM, DrMuttonchops said:

Hot dang dude, this is stellar.  E.C. Henry did a great job designing it, and you did a fantastic job bringing it to life!  Color blocking looks nice, but the Special Forces regular TIE had the red on the opposite side, not that it matters a ton.  I love the holes in the wings, they really make the ship stand out.  The greebling also takes the cake, it simultaneously looks sleek and detailed.  

I wanted to put the red on the side where it should be, but it looked weird. I wanted to keep the middle gunnery module and the bomber module pure black.

On 12/12/2018 at 6:49 AM, Jody Meyer said:

I think the bomber never gets enough attention, this is a great job, nice lines and colour scheme. :classic:

It's been 15 years since a proper TIE Bomber set, @TheLEGOGroup wyd? :hmpf_bad:

(also 13 years since a TIE Interceptor set)