Capt Wolf

[MCTC: Salida Este] Textile Factory

The MCTC settlement of Salida Este on the island of Ferro Azure had grown at a leisurely pace over its first couple of years. Now the time had come for the Merchants Colonial Trading Company to develop their underutilized gem of the Azure Sea. The "old town" of Salida Este was a hodge-podge of rustic, individualistic properties, but the MCTC wanted to build a focal point for the settlement, a "new town" sector that could serve as a hub for growth into the future, both on the island and beyond to the islands to the east.

The first step was to build a colonial headquarters. Amazingly, in spite of the growth of other MCTC settlements in the islands such as Bardo and especially Weelond, the MCTC's only HQ was still in the Old World.

The next step was to take advantage of what development had already occurred on Ferro Azure. There was already a large cotton plantation, and a large dye factory had been built to process the indigo that grows naturally on the island. These resources were perfect for one of the economic strengths of the MCTC: textiles. And so this led to the construction of a large textile factory in Salida Este's "new town" sector.

01_full.jpg

As you can see, Eslandians and indigenous people work together in various roles in the factory.

Here are workers unloading cotton bales as a floor manager looks on:

02_cotton_bales.jpg

Other supplies are unloaded as well, but the shift foreman appears to be upset about something again!

05_workers.jpg 

03_man_at_door.jpg

The factory machinery is powered by a waterwheel:

04_waterwheel.jpg

The "undershot" style does not produce as much power as an overshot wheel (where the water pours over the top of the wheel), but it still produces enough power for the factory.

The cotton is spun into spools of thread:

spin2-esm.jpg

After the thread is dyed, the looms weave it into cloth:

looms-e.jpg

Here a young local woman waits for her boyfriend's shift to end.

06_girl_at_bridge.jpg

A few more pics:

Spoiler

full_high.jpg

front_low.jpg

men_at_bridge.jpg

Thanks for looking. All C&C welcome.

Awesome build, really beautiful the building. Good size for a factory in the time period we copy as well. Just one question: are the indigious people based on Asians? I thought all natives in the Brick Seas where mostly based on Caribean-Aztec and Mayan civs?

This is really a great build Capt, if I mistake not one of the largest we've seen from you.  As Fraunces said, there's a certain beauty about it which makes it a very unique factory!  The arches look so distinctive and the yellow is an excellent choice!  And we have an interior too... this has definitely got to be one of your best land based creations!

9 hours ago, Capt Wolf said:

spin2-esm.jpg

looms-e.jpg

These are my absolute favorites of the whole build.   I love belt driven machines and you've executed them both quite well 

the Roof looks a bit odd (the corners?) but the rest ... building looks great. Also like the small stream with the watermill and the small bridge.

A very nice factory! with some nice early industrialisation machinery in it. The whole looks of the outside is also very well done.

Bart

Thanks for all the comments! Much appreciated!

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 6:44 PM, Fraunces said:

are the indigenous people based on Asians? I thought all natives in the Brick Seas where mostly based on Caribean-Aztec and Mayan civs?

We decided to base them on a mix of South Asians, from India to Malaysia. We just wanted to build something a little different. We're not trying to make any statement regarding where to find different cultures in BoBS, just looking for something visually distinctive. In a word -- hats! We wanted interesting headgear. :pir-grin:

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 10:40 PM, Kai NRG said:

one of the largest we've seen from you.

Now that you mention it, I think it is. I just let the subject dictate the size.

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 10:40 PM, Kai NRG said:

And we have an interior too...

That was the plan from the start, but I ran into trouble and had to cheat a bit on the interior. The looms were too tall, and the spoolers were too long, so the interior shots are a separate build with a bit more space to allow for everything. If I were to do it all over again, the shell of the building would be even bigger so the interior would work.

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 3:20 AM, Roadmonkeytj said:

I love belt driven machines and you've executed them both quite well 

Thanks! I wanted to make sure the "powered" aspect was represented.

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 5:10 AM, neonic said:

the Roof looks a bit odd (the corners?) but the rest ... building looks great. Also like the small stream with the watermill and the small bridge.

The roof took some fiddling to get things to line up right on the inside. The stream was always planned for the waterwheel, but the bridge was a late decision to add something visually interesting to that part of the build.

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 6:44 PM, Professor Thaum said:

Gosh, another amazing one for the MCTC !

I don't really know what to say...

it's... a masterpiece... what else

Actually, I really think Elostirion's HQ build blows my factory away. If I hadn't been as far along on this build as I was when I saw E's WIP pics, I'd have worked some better architectural details into this. And I should mention that the looms and spinning machinery are based on designs he used in his royal textile factory build awhile back.

Looking good, I like the roof, the water wheel, and nice job with the looms. It's also nice to see some oriental figs here, my favourite one is the local woman in kimono.

Excellent build(s :pir-grin:), Capt Wolf, the light yellow is wonderful and the interior is sweet!  You've got a way of making the factory/production aspect of the era really come to life with these builds - keep it up! :thumbup:

On 12/10/2018 at 9:35 AM, Capt Wolf said:

That was the plan from the start, but I ran into trouble and had to cheat a bit on the interior. The looms were too tall, and the spoolers were too long, so the interior shots are a separate build with a bit more space to allow for everything. If I were to do it all over again, the shell of the building would be even bigger so the interior would work.

Cheater cheater pumpkin eater!  Good job making 'em look like one build though. :laugh:

Pretty build. I actually prefer the separate build... it’s impossible to tell and looks better (a bigger building might ruin the perfect proportions)... and it works better as a display piece (having small builds next to it).

AFAIK this is the standard for BoBs textile mills.

2 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Cheater cheater pumpkin eater!  :laugh:

But I like pumpkin pie!

1 minute ago, TomSkippy said:

Pretty build. I actually prefer the separate build... it’s impossible to tell and looks better (a bigger building might ruin the perfect proportions)... and it works better as a display piece (having small builds next to it).

AFAIK this is the standard for BoBs textile mills.

Thanks. FYI, for sheer scale and depiction of more parts of the process, check out Elostirion's royal factory.

I still haven't praised you for this stunning MOC in public. It was a pleasure to see it grow to one of the best factory MOCs in BoBS.

Thanks for giving me so much credit, however you do not have to hide at all - your creation is simply wonderful!

And I would have never ever noticed that interior and exterior are separate MOCs. Fantastic job for going the extra mile and actually building parts of the exterior twice to hide your cheating. Love it.

A lot of great subtle touches in this build.  The roof and and brick colour variations for example.  You did a great job.

Agreed that this is definitely one of the great factory builds we've seen here. Again you have proved the master of the use of classic yellow! Loads of great detail in both the interior and exterior. I wouldn't have known they interior was a separate build if you hadn't mentioned it. It's a concept I've considered before but have never executed... (yet!)

I have to agree with @Roadmonkeytj regarding the looms, they are definitely a stand out feature and look fantastic. Great work!