Foreman

[Lego Movie] was rex dangervest a construction worker?

I you look at his outfit it's exactly the same as Emmett's, except blue

70826 (2)Lets take a moment to examine how perfect that smile is

Sorry about the pics not being the same size

12 minutes ago, teljesnegyzet said:

Rex is intentionally Emmet's cooler counterpart. They are both voiced by Chris Pratt.

I honestly wonder if Rex is actually Emmet's alter ego.  At least in the trailers so far, Rex is never in a scene with the rest of Emmet's friends, so he could be the "harder, tougher" version of himself that Lucy says is needed in those times while protecting his innocent side.  :wink:

3 hours ago, deraven said:

I honestly wonder if Rex is actually Emmet's alter ego.  At least in the trailers so far, Rex is never in a scene with the rest of Emmet's friends, so he could be the "harder, tougher" version of himself that Lucy says is needed in those times while protecting his innocent side.  :wink:

You think it's just emmet hallucinating a stronger version of himself to get through the hard times alone in space?

1 hour ago, Actor Builder said:

You think it's just emmet hallucinating a stronger version of himself to get through the hard times alone in space?

Essentially, yes.  I mean, I'm not saying that I'm going into the theater expecting to see exactly that, but that or something along that theme wouldn't surprise me.  We already know that Sweet Mayhem is Finn's sister, and there has to be some kind of other twist they're going to throw at us, so who knows.  I also think that the Duplo still being used and voiced in such a childlike manner hints that there could be another (3rd), younger sibling in the mix.

But... just kinda throwing stuff out there.  :classic:

3 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

Yeah, this doesn't go in here. Moving it along.

where would you put it? 

Also did you noticed Dangervest and Emmett lack eyeshines

On 1/29/2019 at 2:54 PM, Bornin1980something said:

Rex's costume is actually a lot like Jack Stone

still think it looks more like Emmet's outfit

Well, we finally have the answer;

Spoiler

Rex was indeed a construction worker once. I believe his shade of blue is, in fact, the chroma opposite of Emmett's construction orange. This fits the shocking change which has come over him; he now only wreaks!

That said, I do stand by the Jack Stone resemblance, even if accidental. It's there, particularly in his spacesuit (even though it was apparently inspired by energy drinks, I suspect one in particular).

He may, however, bear an even greater resemblance to the figures in some of Lego's gimmicky action and sport oriented sets in the late 90s and early 00s. In that era, Lego as a whole went through a crisis of trying to be 'cooler,' trying to chase after action toys trends while neglecting the traditional core of construction toys (represented by Emmett). Consider Rex's full name – Radical Emmett eXtreme. The word 'extreme' was fashionable in that era, in lines like Islands Extreme Stunts and Extreme Team (in a Lego Club comic I had, one of the Extreme Team was called Rex. I think he wore red).

So while Rex has been said to represent crises of adolescence and masculinity, I think he also, perhaps, by accident, represents the crisis which befalls Lego when it tries to be a 'cool' toy, rather than the construction toy it really is (which shouldn't be dismissed as invalid because of supposed uncool-ness).