nzmike

What is the most realistic Lego sailing ship?

I would like to build a sailing ship, whether it be a Lego set or MOC so, as the title suggests, what is the *most realistic* sailing ship out there?  I find most of the themed ships just seem like toys to me (yeah, yeah, I know - that's exactly what they're meant to be) - but what I want to do is just build a really nice sailing ship.that isn't full of minifigs, pirates, ripped sails or any other gimmicky stuff.... just after something that looks historically realistic.

Having said the above, at a pinch, I could probably build the 10210 Imperial flagship if I can get the parts - obviously there are not going to be any still being sold (except for those evil Chinese ripoff kits)

The best I've found so far is this magnificent MOC and might be the one I build - if I can find all the parts at Bricklink (and afford them too!) .

Lego pirate ship MOC _ _ La Grenouille _, The Bluecoat Frigate. Speed Build

Googling for "Lego sailing ship" doesn't show me too much else that look reailstic but I'm interested to hear from anyone else that may have built something like this or know of some nice MOCs or ships I could consider.

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by nzmike
Added tags

I know it's a bit dated compared to modern sets, but I've always been partial to 398-1 / 10021-1 USS Constellation. The main thing going for it is that (as far as I can tell) it mostly uses basic pieces, which might make it easier to Bricklink. The 2003 version replaced the discontinued small windows with headlight bricks.

Edited by Pdaitabird
Added information

2 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

I know it's a bit dated compared to modern sets, but I've always been partial to 398-1 / 10021-1 USS Constellation. The main thing going for it is that (as far as I can tell) it mostly uses basic pieces, which might make it easier to Bricklink. The 2003 version replaced the discontinued small windows with headlight bricks.

That probably is one of the least "gimmicky" LEGO sailing ships. In most cases since then I think kids are drawn to sailing ships more for the potential adventure scenarios they can be used to act out, rather than purely a love of the elegance and historical significance of big sailing vessels.

I suspect you might be best off just browsing the Galleon tag (which I KNOW is not an accurate term for many of the sets in it, but I don't know enough about sailing ships to competently raise that issue with the database moderators and propose an alternative) on Brickset: https://brickset.com/sets/tag-Galleon

Personally, my favorite is the Destiny's Bounty from The LEGO Ninjago Movie, but that's more because of its size, complexity, ornate design, and level of interior and exterior detail. It's not that realistic in the grand scheme of things (though it's less blatantly fantastical than previous versions of it released in 2012 and 2015), but its level of realism was never a particular concern to me outside of the broader idea of "does this look like a ship that a sensei and his team of ninja could live in and/or use as a home base and training facility?"

Thanks for the suggestions - the Constellation looks ok but TBH it is looking pretty dated and blocky so might pass on that one.

I checked out the link to sets tagged galleon but the only thing I saw I liked was 10210 again. Although I must admit I do like Destiny's Bounty as well, its certianly original and looks like a fun build so will also look into prices of that.

I think  as a long term project I will likely build La Grenouille anyway, it's really the only one that really looks like a real sailing ship to me.  But short term, to satisfy my need to build a sailing ship, I guess I will start with one of the other two.

I think 10210 is as close as you’re going to get set wise. What you could do is expand on the Flagship. Making it more ornate like the MOC you posted & bigger if need be. If nothing else, it’s a great platform to start from. 

Edited by Vindicare

Yes, good point there - that set will give me alot of stuff I need like the hull, rigging and sails.

I did end up finding masses of great looking sailing ships on Pinterest but most of them are private builds so no plans are available.... guess that means I'm going to have some proper research and plenty of experimental building :-)

It depends what you mean by realistic. The Imperial Flagship doesn't float, so it is less realistic than any City ship with a one-piece, watertight hull.

Historically and technically realistic - I don't care if it floats or not, it will just be on display once I build it :-)

This is probably one of the most realistic - takes 600 men. Multiple decks and gunports and decent rigging and sail formations.

Thanks, but I want something I can build - I.e a MOC with instructions and a parts list which I don't think that has. I'd be in my grave by the time I worked  out how to build that or saved enough money to buy the three million pieces it clearly needs!

I do appreciate the suggestion though - and it is an absolutely magnificent creation, just a bit more than I'm looking for I think. :-)

One of best (by me) and most realistic non floating lego ship is Revenge - 1a9dc647547c4016ca6f25614f5cb1f6.jpg

Also there is tutorial for frigate build - look for pirates forum under index. I made 2 ship, 1 frigate and 2nd one is ship of line with that tutorial.

That is a lovely build - just what I'm looking for I think. I can't find the tutorial though - I searched for "index pirates" and there were 1600+ results - any chance you could dig up the URL for me if you still have it?  Or else give me some more exact keywords I could use (like the ship name maybe?). Thanks :-)

Sorry i gave you wrong instructions. The link for tutorial is and go through all comments there is more links for techniques:  

There is "Pirates master index" in pirates subforum, there is alot of tutorials. 

Thanks for that chofus - will have a closer look at the whole thread over my Xmas break and see if I think its worth a go.

I'm guessing some of the older pieces in brown are going to be expensive so maybe I will buy the 10210 and then build it up using ideas from that (and other) builds.

So I decided in the end to build the one I posted above (La Grenouille) as it's very realistic and has proper plans.

i have all the bits  ordered from Bricklink and on their way but the only issue that remains is what string to use to do the rigging - would the Lego medium or thick string be ok?  Or should I just use some sort of hobby string? If so, does anyone have any suggestions of a brand or type etc?