Ayrlego

Daily Life in Myzectlan - A Small Collaborative Challenge

A few of us in Corrington have been discussing ways to stimulate some activity/generate some ideas for the forum. The below is not an official challenge or anything, it started off as a faction incentive. We tried to pick something a bit out of the ordinary and also to open it up for all to participate in. It has grown into something bigger than we expected. If you are interested, feel free to participate. If you'd like to focus on your building skills, WIP shots are encouraged and I will personally try and provide constructive feedback on all WIPs and encourage all others to do the same. Just post them all here!

Goal:  To expand the lore of the native people in the lost city of Myzectlan on Cascadia.

Background Information:  The Myzec are loosely based on the Aztec civilisation. They primarily farm maize, sweet potato and beans in 'floating island' plots or chinampas on Lake Myzec. The meat in their diet includes fish and water fowl/turkeys and dugout canoes are used to transverse the lake.  Very few mammals are farmed in the Myzec valley although there are some pigs and goats. They weave cloth from goat wool and produce leather from animal hides hunted outside the valley. A basket ball type game is a very popular recreational activity. They ferment an alcoholic ale from maize. There is some more info in the Myzectlan thread linked above.

Requirements: Build a small scene showing the Myzec people conducting activities from their day to day life. Some examples may include: Farming a chinampa lot, milling maize grain, making tortillas, fermenting ale, fishing, trapping ducks, repairing fishing nets, making canoes, warriors training, producing mud bricks for construction, weaving cloth, tanning hides, hunting in the jungle, making jewellery/pottery, ball games, etc

Rules: 

Open to citizens of all factions. No limit on number entries

Size: Minimum 16x16, maximum 32x32

EGS: You may license your build for the EGS if appropriate although there is no requirement to do so. If your build is licensable and you have no wish to license it, the settlement will purchase it from you for 100DB. If the settlement licenses your build, it shall not count towards your monthly build limits.

You must post a link to your entry(ies) in this topic

Deadline: 14th January 2019. If it is before 14 Jan anywhere in the world, you can still enter.

Scoring: Entries shall be scored in the below categories. NB. this process is similar (but not identical) to the system used to score challenge entries. Based on feedback you guys wanted to know how the challenges are scored and to receive feedback. While we don't want to give away all our secrets, I thought we could run this collab in this way to give you a feel for how it all works.

0-3points for story. eg. Does the scene depict daily life that fits into the give description: 0=not at all 3=a creative entry that matches the collab description and existing lore.

0-3points for presentation eg. How well the photo displays the scene. 0=poor presentation, out of focus, poor lighting, badly framed etc. 3=shape image, well framed and lit, presented on a plain background.

0-5 for build. eg. building techniques used. 0=a few bricks slapped on a baseplate. 5=advanced/effective (eg. SNOT) building techniques used (this becomes a bit subjective depending on taste, but we endeavour to factor in individual builders styles.

Scores for each category are added for a total. If more than one judge then scores are averaged across judges for a final result. Winner is the entry with the highest average score. 

If the collab takes off and we have a decent number of entries, I will lobby the court to approve some prizes TBA. Possibilities may include micro licenses or BoBS cards. If not Allcock has a fortune in DBs to give away... plus Corrington would probably award some in-game titles...

My latest build could be used as a good example entry for this collab and should be considered the first 'entry' (My entries shall of course not be included in the scoring part of the collab!)

Awesomeee way to go you crazy corries. I was just focussing very much for the SR challenge builds on maya and Aztec civs, even playing some AoE 2 conquerors for inspiration. This collab is good way to try more new moc techniques. Good luck to all!

4 minutes ago, Fraunces said:

AoE 2 conquerors

Funny you should say that... I'm currently working on a building loosely based on the AoE2 Aztec archery barracks...!

Dammit. just too large and not quite hitting the theme of daily life:P Might still participate, I should have a little time over the holidays.

45148191225_05f82df85f_c.jpg

Nice for this seeing the light of day so quickly! A great idea, and I am very much looking forward to all entries. :thumbup:

I hope the general idea catches on, and we get similar things from all factions in the future: small "microchallenges" or building initiatives, centred around a settlement or a particular "landmark", with a strong theme, focussed on a shorter timeframe than the main challenges, and encouraging everybody.

An announcement from my side: you are free to enter your builds from here into the Merrynight Minichallenge as well (assuming it fits both).

Edited by Drunknok

Nice idea !

It's been a while I didn't built in the Natives' style !

I hope to have time to build something before January 14 !

Man, December is going to be crazy: just posted the tanner and I have 2 general BoBs builds started.

Now I need a chinampa, a classic castle micro, and a slum for fabuland.

Great problems to have though! Can’t wait!

Some very nice builds already! :thumbup:

I am definitely inspired by this, and have many ideas. Some long reading last night, some BL orders... I hope I have the time to do it all. :pir-sweet:

Sorry for the double post, but I think this one deserves its own.

So originally I only wanted to do another little shop for my Merrynight Market build, and thought about a plant usually called "Christmas Star".

When doing some background reading, it came as no little surprise to me that these were first cultivated by the Aztecs, who used the red for dying fabrics and the sap for medical purposes.

The Myzec people are clearly based on the Aztecs, so I already put a link between them and the "Merrynight Star" into my builds story linked above. While an active "export business" is nothing that would make sense for the Myzec, some plantation build(s) would still be reasonable. Showing the plants being used for dying cloth would make for another good factory, and a shaman producing a medicine from the sap and using it to cure somebod could be an artisan.

I hope this gets somebody inspired. :classic:

Edited by Drunknok

22 hours ago, Drunknok said:

It's important to add that Poinsettia also grows in other less popular commercial varieties such as white,  yellowish orange and the most fascinating to look at blue!   

A bit of knowledgethe plant needs an uninterrupted period of darkness to bloom however if you "trick" it's light cycle by artificial means (covering) you can make it bloom several times a year! 

1 hour ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

It's important to add that Poinsettia also grows in other less popular commercial varieties such as white,  yellowish orange and the most fascinating to look at blue!   

A bit of knowledgethe plant needs an uninterrupted period of darkness to bloom however if you "trick" it's light cycle by artificial means (covering) you can make it bloom several times a year! 

True. As usual, the Sea Rats are the first to promote cheating! :pir_tong2:

@Drunknok

I learned this from my mother a "horticulturalist" which is technically science which your faction is ever so good at

Edited by Roadmonkeytj

And here is my third (and probably last) contribution: The Miraforma, a defense platform in the jungle.

45876834464_5368d40d1c.jpg

Edited by Elostirion

I’ll have a build for this, unfortunately, I doubt that the necessary pieces will arrive in time. I was wondering if you’d still be willing to purchase it (I don’t plan on licensing it).

It’s fine if I don’t get entered into the challenge/judging... as I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the build!

4 hours ago, TomSkippy said:

I’ll have a build for this, unfortunately, I doubt that the necessary pieces will arrive in time. I was wondering if you’d still be willing to purchase it (I don’t plan on licensing it).

It’s fine if I don’t get entered into the challenge/judging... as I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the build!

No problems, how long do you think you will need? I'd happily extend a week or so for you to finish. As for licensing, I'd definitely still be interested in purchasing it at the same terms as the collaboration, even if you don't make it in time. 

When do you think you will be ready? The deadline is another 9 days, and I wouldn't mind if @Ayrlego extended the deadline by some days.

Looking forward to your contribution! :-)