Hi!

My name is Atilla from Hungary and I'm new to this forum. I have been lurking for a while, mostly reading the splendid pictorial reviews. Lately I decided to start a blog of my own, something between the mentioned reviews and Blackbirds technicopedia, displaying the sets I own.
I have only 1 post so far, and I would like to expand a bit on that. (If somebody is interested, I can post the link to it. I'm not sure whether it counts as advertising or allowed at all).
I'd like to ask for help with my research for an upcoming post. I'm writing a review of the first supercar, 853, and I would like to have a section of the history of the Technic product-line in the review.

Here's what I know:
I found, that the first Lego set ever to include any sort of gear was the set number 001, released in 1965. These gears did not have the X shaped hole in the middle, as the first axle with a X cross section wasn't released until 1970. Then a new set of gears was released, very similar to the previous ones, which now included the X shaped hole. These gears was not compatible with the Technic gears at all, because of the different teeth profiles.
I also know that that the first universal joint was released in 1972, it was very similar to the Technic ones, but in a different colour (i believe red).
This information, I could pull from the catalogue of bricklink, and some youtube videos reviewing the 001 set. I managed to buy some of these early gears from bricklink, in order to make a few high resolution photos.

I'm aware that there was an ideabook (managed to buy get hold of it), showing 853 with a yellow body, made from the 852 helicopter (which I also managed to buy). I found that there was an image in the back of the building instructions for the set 858 "Auto Engines", showing 853 with an engine in the back. I managed to source 858, but could not get a building instruction for it. Fortunately it can be found online. I'm planning to build these "official" modifications as well. and take pictures / incorporate them into my blog post. 

I humbly ask if you could provide any more information about what similar functionality was present before the release of the Technical Set line in 1977. I'm aware of the "Dacta" line, but as far as bricklink knows, there was no Technic related Dacta set until 1983. Maybe there was other Dacta sets, using the pre-technic gears, but I couldn't find them. If there is a thread of a blog on this subject which I missed, then a link would be welcomed too.

Any input on the subject of what lead to the release of the first 4 Technical Set is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reading my post.

4 hours ago, Atilla said:

the first Lego set ever to include any sort of gear was the set number 001, released in 1965.

I have this set, let me know if you need any info! 

19 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

I have this set, let me know if you need any info! 

If you could add anything to what I wrote in the original post, about the 001 set, that would be appreciated.

Thank you!

23 hours ago, bonox said:

I'd suggest you find some posts by a user here called @LEGO Historian

Perhaps start here:

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/155776-lego-9-volume-encyclopedia

Thank you bonox, this seems to be just what I was looking for. And much much more. I'm buying it right away.

Thank you both!

Now I'll be Mr. Obvious in this forum

Is listed encyclopedia by Gary Istok and here is user istokg (the same person) in forum

https://forum.brickset.com/discussion/22622/001-gears

So I think Eurobricks forum topic mentioned by @bonox can give you more info if you can get those books @Atilla the Hun(garian) :wink:

Edited by I_Igor