Sign in to follow this  
ProvenceTristram

[MOC] Indiana Harbor Belt 0-8-0

I had no connection-to or affinity-for this locomotive until I started designing it this morning - it is, rather, yet another case of "wow, this is so weird looking that I need to build it." These 3-cylinder engines were designed for drag transfer freights in the Chicago area, and were among the most powerful 0-8-0s ever assembled. I think the "beefy" quality of the prototype came across in the model. Un-fun fact - the tender on this thing was more difficult than the engine :/. 

Proto:

D0nseeo.jpg

zMwbF8K.jpg

l6zYSTj.png

lKup39U.jpg

VEz62W9.png

Model:

9F6jdbc.png

az9tbzz.png

96Z3Tff.png

WAcZdX5.png

8lOetiM.png

yOmnDTB.png

xXRnLZR.png

Edited by ProvenceTristram

Looks great!

I have seen you mention in other posts that you are building for static display, however, if you ever plan to run this one, I would flop the flanged driver and blind driver positions so that the flanged drivers sit more under the center of mass to provide better traction.

Love your styling tho!

4 hours ago, supertruper1988 said:

Looks great!

I have seen you mention in other posts that you are building for static display, however, if you ever plan to run this one, I would flop the flanged driver and blind driver positions so that the flanged drivers sit more under the center of mass to provide better traction.

Love your styling tho!

Thanks. I'll look into it. The firebox may be in the way, however.

*Edit* Fixed. The firebox was in the way, but - mercifully - the fix wasn't that involved. I also extended the front pilot to better match the prototype.

rnMG9kX.png

There should be nothing to preclude it running. It has the motor, the gearing (powering 3/4 axles), and space for all the wiring. I even left conduits running the length of the boiler that would allow for future LED wires if someone wanted to light the thing.

Edited by ProvenceTristram

There is a good explanation on how three cylinder engines work in Karen Parker's book "How a Steam Locomotive Works".

Edited by ecmo47

Hi, 

Stopping by to say great work with this. I too am attracted to this locomotive and have been building one of my own on and off for the past couple of years, though at a smaller scale for use with six and seven wide stock. I envy the details you are able to include!

Excellent looking engine, the fantastic model you made! Great details  
But the lack of trucks/bogies on the front and back (on the real-life prototype) makes me a little bit uncomfortable 
And Yeah men those details on the boiler are astounding