Anonknee Muss

The Lego Batman Movie 2

The Lego Batman Movie 2 has been confirmed by Chris McKay

https://flic.kr/p/2cgYFeS

I am not expecting to hear anymore on it until after The Lego Movie 2 has died a bit after being released.

What would you like to see/expect for a sequel?

Edited by J4ck
Added More Information

I'm guessing this won't be coming out until around 2021, but I'm definitely excited that a sequel is coming!

There are still many villains they could include that weren't in the first movie.  Mad Hatter is the most obvious choice.  Other villains that I would like to see used include Black Mask, Hush, Ventriloquist, Lady Shiva, Copperhead, Roxy Rocket, Ten-Eyed Man, Penny Plunderer, Doctor Double X, and of course, the Music Meister!  :laugh:  Villains such as Firefly, Ra's al Ghul, and Deadshot could also show up with new designs from their DC Super Heroes versions.

I wonder if the Justice League would have a larger role this time around.  I hope that Samurai and Gleek appear again so that they can actually be included in a set this time.

Of course, I fully expect to see more wacky Batsuits and Bat-Vehicles in the sequel as well.

This is welcome news. There were loads of villains that never got a look in the first time around, so hopefully this will give them a chance. An expanded DC world would be ideal, but I will sit on that for a while.

Oh boy...

Who could be the villain this time?

I mean, all the villains from the first movie are ruled out. 

Maybe Ras? Thats the only one I can think of for a main villain, from the one who didnt appear in the first film (court of the owls, Mad Hatter, Hush, Ras, Talia, Ventriloquist, etc)

Or do you think WB and DC could introduce a new villain here and then export it to the comics? Similar to what happened with Harley Quinn

Well, I know it seems like WB is waiting upon the box office results for TLM2 before greenlighting any further installments to the LCU (LEGO Cinematic Universe), but it's still good to hear that future movies are being considered. Having said that though, we still don't know what's the fate of that BIllion Brick Race movie:def_shrug:

2 hours ago, J4ck said:

Considering the gravity of the big bad villains used last time, I feel it’d be hard to top this using batman villains.

That's exactly why I hope to see this sequel instead be a LEGO Justice League Movie, though it should still be focused upon Batman in order to be a successive sequel.

13 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Oh boy...

Maybe Ras? Thats the only one I can think of for a main villain, from the one who didnt appear in the first film (court of the owls, Mad Hatter, Hush, Ras, Talia, Ventriloquist, etc)

Or do you think WB and DC could introduce a new villain here and then export it to the comics? Similar to what happened with Harley Quinn

The Teen Titans fan in me had at one point considered Deathstroke, but that might feel a little more redundant after Teen Titans Go to the Movies already featured a more humorous take on him. Still, I feel like he'd be a neat option as a potential "foil" to Batman's own combat mastery and abundance of gear.

But really there's no end to the possible options. Not only are there traditional Bat-foes to choose from, but the entire array of larger-scope Justice League villains and even potentially non-DC villains like the foes from the Phantom Zone in the first movie.

Here's possibly the most out there option—Iron Man. They definitely have beef. :tongue:

Edited by Lyichir

I feel they're gonna lean into the crossover element more, whether it's with other DC characters or with characters from other franchises. 

Edited by Renny The Spaceman

6 hours ago, Renny The Spaceman said:

I feel they're gonna lean into the crossover element more, whether it's with other DC characters or with characters from other franchises. 

Seems like their only option considering they’ve used most of the rogues gallery plus a few big baddies.

8 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, I know it seems like WB is waiting upon the box office results for TLM2 before greenlighting any further installments to the LCU (LEGO Cinematic Universe), but it's still good to hear that future movies are being considered. Having said that though, we still don't know what's the fate of that BIllion Brick Race movie:def_shrug:

That's exactly why I hope to see this sequel instead be a LEGO Justice League Movie, though it should still be focused upon Batman in order to be a successive sequel.

I still really like your superman and green lantern buddy cop film idea.

This is great! The first movie was really good. I think a sequel should play with the Batman's history a bit more. They hinted to his past in the first one, but I think it would be a lot of fun if he met different versions of himself (60's Bat, Keaton Bat, Dark Knight, etc.) and do some crazy adventure with them. It looks like we're already seeing different versions of characters in TLM 2 (Suicide Squad Harley, etc.) so it wouldn't be much of a stretch. Can't wait to see what they come up with!

5 hours ago, EZNetwork said:

This is great! The first movie was really good. I think a sequel should play with the Batman's history a bit more. They hinted to his past in the first one, but I think it would be a lot of fun if he met different versions of himself (60's Bat, Keaton Bat, Dark Knight, etc.) and do some crazy adventure with them. It looks like we're already seeing different versions of characters in TLM 2 (Suicide Squad Harley, etc.) so it wouldn't be much of a stretch. Can't wait to see what they come up with!

So you mean like a prequel? I could go for that!

Certainly easier than a sequel :laugh:

14 hours ago, J4ck said:

I still really like your superman and green lantern buddy cop film idea.

Heh, thanks! :classic: I do wonder though, if they'll continue on with the same relationship dynamic between those two as they'd did with The Lego Movie. In The Lego Batman Movie, though their interaction was much more brief, it almost seemed like any of Superman's general annoyances with Hal were put aside/forgotten. :shrug_confused:

8 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Heh, thanks! :classic: I do wonder though, if they'll continue on with the same relationship dynamic between those two as they'd did with The Lego Movie. In The Lego Batman Movie, though their interaction was much more brief, it almost seemed like any of Superman's general annoyances with Hal were put aside/forgotten. :shrug_confused:

If GL Is getting minifigure then surely he’ll have a [slightly] bigger role in TLM2 perhaps? I’d like to see the friendship between GL and S to develop a bit.

Honestly, I'd advise caution when getting hyped for a Lego Batman Movie 2.

The director has said they're working on it but we have no idea at what stage of development it's at; it could be just a script for all we know. Lots of movies are being worked on and a small minority get released.

I'd say it's release greatly depends on how well The Lego Movie 2 does when it hits cinemas.

I hope it does get released though, but I feel it will be of limited appeal. The original was released right around the time of the last Batman movie and I think that really helped it's success.

On 12/6/2018 at 1:31 PM, Robert8 said:

Oh boy...

Maybe we could get Bizarro (Pretty sure these are the guys who are the reverse versions of superheroes - DC knowledge not up to scratch) as the main villain.

3 hours ago, JACKATTACKS said:

Maybe we could get Bizarro (Pretty sure these are the guys who are the reverse versions of superheroes - DC knowledge not up to scratch) as the main villain.

Good call! We could have the entire Bizarro world or something like that. Batzarro, Bizarro Flash etc. We could have the crime syndicate team up with Bizarro, that’d be one mean villain team.

Edited by J4ck

23 minutes ago, Renny The Spaceman said:

Given the box office for TLM2 we sadly might not get this film now

I don't see why you think that. Right now it's projected to have a $34,400,000 result from its opening weekend. Even though it's a big drop from the first LEGO Movie, it far exceeds the opening weekend results for any of Warner Animation Group's non-LEGO movies like Storks or Smallfoot. It's also worth noting that the United States box office as a whole has been in a slump for the past two months or so, which could suggest fewer people are going to the movies for reasons that aren't specific to any one movie.

If WB didn't give up on LEGO movies after The LEGO Ninjago Movie, I can't imagine why they'd give up on them after The LEGO Movie 2, which was considerably more successful. Heck, Disney gave Planes a sequel after a weaker opening weekend even in terms of its per-theater average, not to mention a far worse critical reception.

They didnt give up after Ninjago movie because TLM2 was already on the works. 

Nothing else has been officially gree-lighted after TLM2. It wouldnt be the first time a sequel is cancelled even having the script already written. So, Id say TLBM2 is indeed in danger. 

But I think we are getting ahead of ourselves. Next weekend is St Valentine Day and all the releases are St Valentine themed movies. So, LEGO MOVIE 2 is pretty much alone for the kids/family market. 

The next blockbuster to hit theaters will be Captain Marvel. So TLM2 still has a month left to work themselves up to the top. But it will depend on word of mouth at this point. 

7 hours ago, Robert8 said:

But it will depend on word of mouth at this point. 

From now on we must end every conversation we have by screaming "GO SEE THE LEGO MOVIE 2!"

Edited by Renny The Spaceman

6 hours ago, Renny The Spaceman said:

From now on we must end every conversation we have by screaming "GO SEE THE LEGO MOVIE 2!"

I may go see it again, but it's opening weekend was dreadful so it might be goodbye for future Lego movie projects, unfortunately.

I can still see TLBM2 happening though. I'd say it's 50/50.

Spoiler

If I were Chris McKay I'd be scratching my head on how to deal with Queen Whatevra in this movie....

I hope it won't be like just a random line like "Whatevra? oh we got divorced" and that's it.... 

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:
  Hide contents

If I were Chris McKay I'd be scratching my head on how to deal with Queen Whatevra in this movie....

I hope it won't be like just a random line like "Whatevra? oh we got divorced" and that's it.... 

LBM2 can take place before LM2. That's allowed.

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:
  Hide contents

Spoiler

Did they ever make it official though? Weren’t they interrupted by Emmet? Given the back & forth of “I’m protecting you...no I am” during the space fight means they did huh? I need to see it again.