Sign in to follow this  
LegoDW

Lionel O scale trains in Lego Winter Village display, looking for pictures for insparation

I am struggling this year setting up my Winter Village display with my Power Function trains and tracks (have the high Speed passenger train set).  We have about a 6' oval with a few extra curves.  Got a few older Lionel trains and really miss seeing them in action on my holiday display (pre Lego).

Anyways, anyone here running O scale trains with their Winter Village sets? How does it look.  Know the track and trains are slightly too big (probable American Flyer S scale would be better, don't have any).  Missing the sounds of the Lionel motors and the sparks on the tracks.

I know what you mean. When I was a kid, my dad and I would set up his Lionel trains under our Christmas tree. Now that I have my own house and a lad of my own, I don't have the Lionel trains, so I have settled with my Lego trains. I think the Lego track sticks together a bit better than O-gauge. While they are roughly the same size... Give or take a few, running the Lionel in your Lego Winter Village, might look fun from the perspective of all different toys playing together because it's Christmas. But if you want everything to look the same, then stick with one brand. I guess the only "right" answer is what works for you and what you like. 

8-wide custom LEGO trains are pretty close in scale to O-gauge Lionel, and I think they look fine. Put a LEGO Minifig crew aboard and you should be fine. :D

2 hours ago, LegoDW said:

I am struggling this year setting up my Winter Village display with my Power Function trains and tracks (have the high Speed passenger train set).  We have about a 6' oval with a few extra curves.  Got a few older Lionel trains and really miss seeing them in action on my holiday display (pre Lego).

Anyways, anyone here running O scale trains with their Winter Village sets? How does it look.  Know the track and trains are slightly too big (probable American Flyer S scale would be better, don't have any).  Missing the sounds of the Lionel motors and the sparks on the tracks.

O gauge would look great. The common scale that many use for Scale LEGO trains is 8 studs = 10 feet. That works out to 1:48 scale which is about O gauge (1:44). S scale is closer to the 6 studs to 10 feet "scale" that LEGO uses but O will look great!

Old Lionel also has that wonderful electrical ozone smell from sparking.

Don't forget to post pics of the O-scale setup next year.  :wink: