Sign in to follow this  
Mechbuilds

Mechbuilds Projects

well the Lego set 8081 haves a very strong rear axle!! its on a swing arm!! or even the 40th anniversary model haves a simple independent rear suspension..  if youre basing off from Paave's .. look into the 8081 set!! 

2 hours ago, sirslayer said:

well the Lego set 8081 haves a very strong rear axle!! its on a swing arm!! or even the 40th anniversary model haves a simple independent rear suspension..  if youre basing off from Paave's .. look into the 8081 set!! 

I studied the axle and it only has up and down movement.. It cannot twist side to side. 

The only way i could make an independent rear axle design is with a floating differential. But i'd need to order this part:
lego-medium-stone-gray-beam-frame-with-l
But even then, i couldn't make it a lockable differential in that scale since the axle can be at maximum 13 studs wide between the tires. 

I think i'll have to go with a live axle instead. This moc is beginning to get pretty heavy. 
The cab is 0.6 kg's already. 

It's so frustrating to design a working suspension.. 

Here are some of the mockups i've done..

vm8GKjrl.png
Not sure if that would work..
YuYyetLl.png
That definitely didn't work.
SeIYLYkl.png
Otherwise great but too high for the truck.. The suspension would be mounted trough the truck flat bed..

The axle itself:
22wqqjTl.png

It's very robust and durable.. It can handle the buwizz power easily without breaking any parts.. However, it's a complete nightmare to hang on the chassi for the truck.. 
Main issues are: 
13 studs wide from tire to tire <-- Very compact means either it's too brittle and it breaks and twists or it's very hard to implement to the chassi with a suspension. 
Low mounting points. The chassis itself is very low.. Only 10 studs until it hits the truck flatbed. 
Independent but non driven front axle with great steering. <-- The rear axle needs to be preferably locked diff for offroading or drifting. (if possilbe with tape over the tires to reduce grip.)

This is a rally truck.. It's designed to be silly. I couldn't make it 4wd without either having the steering lock very low due to cv joint limited travel.. Or not durable enough, using U joints you can get more cowbell but to build it with these tyres i have, you can't get the axle durable enough without parts bending or loosening on use.. 

After i'm done with this moc, i might order bigger tires and a pair of portal hubs cause making mocs on this small scale is difficult as hell. 

Edited by Mechbuilds

You can always download the Lego 42099 instructions and study the front suspension on that set!!  

I kinda want to make a crawler with all electronics mounted in chassis so it can go into water or mud.. Heck, even snow.. 
Already ordering parts like portal axles and bigger tires.. 

Seems like, the more parts i can gather, the bigger the possibilities.. 
Buwizz sure has helped a lot!

Currently i'm working on @nico71's orange crawler.. 

I'll think i could improve on it.. 
First: the winch and gearbox system is kinda flawed so it's completely removed.. 
Second: I want all electronics to be easily removed if needed so the moc can be cleaned after outdoor use. 

The steering system needs more gearing in between so i can get more accurate and delicate steering. 

For springs, i don't have those long springs and they're too expensive.. At worst, i've seen somebody asking 37€ for a piece.. Hard springs are 6,50€ at lowest cost. 
Meanwhile i have a bag full of those smaller springs, both extra hard and normal.. So i need to modify the chassis to accept those smaller springs..

Edited by Mechbuilds