Perhaps tracked truck will go nicely along Arocs...and there are cool tracked dump trucks

I have a nice rough terrain in my backyard, waiting for a nice rough and tough moc to conquer.. 

I really want to make something with wheels like that heist truck from fast and furious.. I like trucks with long suspension travel.. 
But the problem is: I'd have to wait until i can afford to get a steering servo, those ball socket fork things and longer springs.. 

Benefit for going tracked would be that i already have all the parts needed.. But then again, you can't really climb rough terrain with tracks if you don't have an excavator arm to assist.. 

Oh well, at least in the mean time, i can have fun with my little tracked racer.

EDIT:

These are the two options i can go for next: 

Tracked snow plow truck;
Vehicule-utilitaire-Gilbert-GTV-tracked-

OR 

"mongo heist truck" <-- I don't know what to call this type of trucks

mongo_heist_truck_3d_model_c4d_max_obj_f

Both are cool but i think the truck with wheels is more interesting.. 

Edited by Mechbuilds

Well.. Here is how the project stands now: 
NVzj5gEl.jpg

Twin L motor chassis. But i wonder where i should go from this.. I still have a second receiver and plenty of motors to add functions.. 
But at this point, i'm thinking about gearing it down because it's pretty fast.. (popping wheelies.)

Otherwise a good platform and it works.. However, i'm having a lot of trouble with the frame flexing near the big sprockets in the outer end.. How do you stiffen it so it doesn't bend down due to the tracks twisting it?

o6TGnOEl.jpg

Found some real inspiration. Now i'm working on a steam tractor.

IYnh5Idl.jpg

VvlRFF8l.jpg

Very compact.. Dual M motor drive. Bottom one is for steering and top one is for drive + fake engine. 

I might need some help with the steering though.. But for now it's on a clutch gear setup. 

If it's possible, a chain steering system would be 10/10.. But if i can't figure out a proper steering system, a regular link one is fine.. 

EDIT:

8ZKgs1Vl.jpg

The "cockpit" is ready. Now i just need to figure out a steering solution and then add the moving parts of the steam engine.. That's why that center shaft is long. It drives the wheels and the other moving stuff.. 

Edited by Mechbuilds

This looks like an interesting and unusual project - I've always liked steam powered things! Would it be possible to add a gearbox such that the wheels can be disengaged from the motor and fake engine, to allow it to be used as a stationary engine? Then you could build a series of driven implements to go with it.

8 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

This looks like an interesting and unusual project - I've always liked steam powered things! Would it be possible to add a gearbox such that the wheels can be disengaged from the motor and fake engine, to allow it to be used as a stationary engine? Then you could build a series of driven implements to go with it.

This is an awesome idea. However, i can't get a gearbox to fit in this particular moc.. When the engine spins, the wheels spin as well. 

mfUFrtHl.jpg

I have finished the steering mechanism.. Not only it works, but it also has lots of steering travel and the front axle has lots of "suspension travel". 
I added an axle upwards for the "idler pulley/fly wheel" and piston mechanisms.. 

Edited by Mechbuilds

Here is how it stands now:

dE2CVpxl.jpg

iz43nKtl.jpg

8R5hCTkl.jpg

The steering works, it has lots of suspension travel and it's basically playable at this point. 
However, the whole engine mechanism thing is a disaster. I really don't like this moc anymore.. 

Should i put it out of it's misery or finish it? 

Tracked truck moc! 

Driven by worm gears for MASSIVE torque but slow speed. (2 L motors)
Hitch that goes up and down and an accessory shaft. 

I used a modified version of the arocs cab for the cabin. Clever use of tracks as a back wall. 

Pics:

bB8AAK8l.jpg

OXKlCWql.jpg

uYdIISGl.jpg

Ae3Mj19l.jpg

1ygzLnKl.jpg

:)

Mechbuilds projects are on a break now due to my computer refusing to get photos out from phone to pc. 
I will be back when i get a new phone. later this year. 

Future projects will probably be construction equipment. 

6 hours ago, Epicentre said:

Have you tried to email the pictures or use google drive or something like that?

It's a known problem win honor 7 phones that their software is not supported.. Their own software can't locate the phone that's plugged into the PC with USB. Reinstalling the software is not possible cause it doesn't exist anymore. I even tried connecting the phone to the PC with wifi using third party programs but it can't transfer photos.. Emailing every single photo one at a time would be a massive effort and a colossal waste of time. I'd rather wait till tax returns and get a proper phone that works. 

Oh boy do i hate technology.. I just want a phone that i can plug with USB, open my computer, see the phone next to harddrive and just click it and drag and drop images from phone to computer.. But no. It's just an empty folder. 
I've tried everything.. Even the USB fault bug mode thing in the phone settings with developer tools but nothing works. 

@Mechbuilds I suggest you to get Android based mobile phone so you can easily upgrade it to newer version that is working with PC...at least I have decided not to use iPhone and bitten Apples :wink:

Good luck

Update:

This is my current moc:
2potYJHl.png
4x4 Offroad chassis. 

What i'm thinking about is that i could make a pick up truck style body there. But the XL motor is pretty massive. 
I could change the XL motor to an M or L motor easily without modifying the chassis. 

The question is: Should i do it and how will it affect the performance or crawling capabilities? 
It's geared: 4.632:1

Update: 

I made the RM8's toyota FJ40's chassis and while i wait for the new version 2, i think i could try making a simple pickup truck.. 

I'm pretty disappointed in the poor steering radius of CV joints I think i'll opt for rear wheel drive american pickup truck so i can get better steering lock. 
I really like using lego wheel hubs instead of axles because the wheel is secured very tightly and won't fall off.. 

But for now, i want to go for as much steering radius as possible. Any ideas what kind of front axle should i go for? 
I will be using the same wheels as the 42043 arocs. 

What i'm looking for is: 

Axle width: 11 studs from tire to tire. 
Suspension: Live axle or independent for front axle and live axle for rear. Soft springs. 
Features: RC steering and drive. Maybe a winch perhaps. (I might go for gearbox operated so i can choose drive or winch.) 
Scale: Technic guy scale. 

What kind of front axle would be best in this build to get as much steering as possible on non driven front axle? 

Edited by Mechbuilds

Update:

g1hfR5gl.png

This is my current progress.. It might remind you of @rm8's toyota FJ40's front axle.. Well that's because it is. But i have modified the track rod under the servo to give it more flex for offroading. 
Now i need to figure out how to attach a chair for a technic figure scale and a gearbox and mount for an XL motor.. 

Mr Mechbuilds , I've done a 11 stud , tire to tire front axle on my 42093 4x4 mod!! and the steering raduis is tight!!!  I believe its under the axles and suspension thread on this board.. here is a quick pic and a video on its turning radius .. even though my MOc is riding on 56mm tires.. I believe it should work using the 62mm tires.. ( I don't own any) using a hub cab would help keep the wheel from sliding off!!

Lego Technic 42093 4x4 mod

and a old but goodie video of its turning radius 

Edited by sirslayer

Thanks for sharing @sirslayer I did check the axle collection thread before making this topic, the issue i have is bowing of the axle which causes stress to the parts over time. 
@rm8's toyota chassis seems to be a good choice for this build after some modifications. 

I'm trying to build myself that one truck that i wont disassemble. It needs to be perfect and highly modifiable. I kinda like those american style pickup trucks so why not make one. 
It needs to be RC, technic figure scale and to be able to do truck trial so it definitely needs a proper suspension. 

What i'm currently stuck on is figuring out how to put a chair immediately after the servo and still having enough room to build a gearbox behind it so i can mount the XL motor. 
I need the cabin to sit at least 2 technic figures but if a bench seat is possible then 3.

Edited by Mechbuilds

Update:

Still stuck on figuring out how to make the chair for the technic figures fit.. So far it's a constant battle on how to fit the XL motor + gears and the chair so the technic figures fit.. 
But on a positive note, the hood + front end is done. 

Kap8eb6l.png

(I couldn't find the macaroni pieces on LDD so i used the 90 degree connector instead under the head lamps.)

If i manage to finish this moc, i will release the LDD for free so everybody can make it. 
If anybody can help me with the seat + gears + motor then i can PM you the incomplete LDD.. 

Edited by Mechbuilds

Search for 25214 in search bar of LDD. Or look in this category:

image.png.d7484e35c1fbcf54d2105712b811692b.png

Tip: Bricklink has the same partnumbers as LDD, so you can find the piece on BL and then simply search the part number. 

So far looks nice!

EDIT: It looks like you're using the wrong colour for bevel gears. The equivalent for  tan  in LDD is colour 5 - brick yellow

image.png.f94b7f30907de5f6de7137a18cce9f90.png

Edited by syclone