Sariel

JCB 5CX Wastemaster pneumatic backhoe loader

Here's my first attempt at making a fully functional backhoe loader, with motorized functions controlled remotely using two SBricks and pneumatic functions controlled remotely using a wired external pneumatic remote, something I've been inspired to try by Jennifer Clark's models. All in all, the model has 9 motors in it (and 2 more in the remote) and 6 pneumatic circuits.
Photos & reading: http://sariel.pl/2018/12/jcb-5cx-wastemaster/

Yes, I have a green screen. It's just that LEGO pieces are so shiny, the green screen usually reflects in them. I've recently bought a polarizing filter for my DSL and that largely alleviates the problem. The result is still far from Hollywood level, though ;)

First I saw the intro picture on YT and my instant thought was "Is this really Lego??" Second look at the channel - "Aha - everything clear" :laugh:. Amazing functionality, self-evident of course.

Edited by brunojj1

Hello ,

As mechanic i worked more than 8 years at this kind of machine and i have to say ,you did a really great job .Pneumatic functions working verry good and verry smooth .4 wheel steering and crab funktion great to see how it works in this model .

Mybe one verry little thing ,for me the boom from the retro is a bit out of proportion ,but i now building with Lego Technic has some times his limts .

For me the best model i have seen build with Lego Thechnic .

I think that you have to change

this

Dimensions: length 75 studs / width 54 studs / height 31 studs

into that

Dimensions: length 75 studs / width 24 studs / height 31 studs

Edited by I_Igor

This is a truly amazing build and one that I have been waiting for excitedly :laugh: I love your use of green screen, and those are some nice flamingo slippers :wink:

The amount of well-working functions you've crammed into it is astounding. I really like that remote!

I love this huge model!

I like the pneumatic functions controlled by a remote control.

What I don’t like is that it is very difficult to move the machine due to the tubes going to the remote, so I would have not motorized the transmission/steering.

Another thing I think it is not 100% conform to the original is the shape of the front arm, and the attachment of the bucket in the wrong pivot.

The most original feature of the model is the rotating seat.

Summary: very very good job!

This moc is right up my street, and great to see pneumatics getting a starring role - and going to the trouble of making the seat rotate takes a certain kind of mind!!

Visually i think it looks bang-on, this is an area i lose patience with, so its great see.

The many-motors approach got some negative comments on a different moc recently, its an approach i often use and like. Good to see it.. remote-ing out the pneumatics control is a great idea. Like that a lot.

Very impressive model, the proportions, details and functionality are of your usual high level. I wish TLG would make a flagship backhoe again. I have fond memories of the 8862 backhoe from 1989, which was my first complex Technic model and my introduction into the world of pneumatics.

But to be honest, I'm on the fence about models with a remote control which requires an umbilical cord to be be permanently connected to the model.

To me, the challenge of a Technic model is to fit all the chosen functionality inside the model, including the required motors, pumps and batteries, etc. As a rule of thumb, copying more functionality from the real machine into the model leads to a bigger scale model. I understand that in a model of this complexity, even the huge interior space of this scale might not be enough to it all in. But it feels unwieldy to have the remote connected and I think that it reduces the subjective feeling of realism since the real machine is a standalone vehicle.

But never mind my dribble, keep working your Lego magic.

Why is the rear boom so extremely fat? It should be 2-3 times thinner!

Edited by Yevhen

On 12/6/2018 at 3:38 PM, Cumulonimbus said:

Very impressive model, the proportions, details and functionality are of your usual high level. I wish TLG would make a flagship backhoe again. I have fond memories of the 8862 backhoe from 1989, which was my first complex Technic model and my introduction into the world of pneumatics.

But to be honest, I'm on the fence about models with a remote control which requires an umbilical cord to be be permanently connected to the model.

To me, the challenge of a Technic model is to fit all the chosen functionality inside the model, including the required motors, pumps and batteries, etc. As a rule of thumb, copying more functionality from the real machine into the model leads to a bigger scale model. I understand that in a model of this complexity, even the huge interior space of this scale might not be enough to it all in. But it feels unwieldy to have the remote connected and I think that it reduces the subjective feeling of realism since the real machine is a standalone vehicle.

But never mind my dribble, keep working your Lego magic.

I second this. 

4 hours ago, Yevhen said:

Why is the rear boom so extremely fat? It should be 2-3 times thinner!

Well real machine has "fat" backhoe as you can see

JCB_5CX_Wastemaster.07.jpg

12 hours ago, I_Igor said:

Well real machine has "fat" backhoe as you can see

JCB_5CX_Wastemaster.07.jpg

No. The real machine has a pretty slim rear boom. Just look at it from another angle.

Edited by Yevhen

@Yevhen I think the best would be for you to use @Sariel's scaler to see how much does his creation fit real proportions. It is simple as that; sometimes yopu can not make it narrow as you wish due to missing particular dimensions in single Lego Part or parts that can be used...and like everything in life this is compromise, question is just can you live with this compromise or not...but as I say try @Sariel's scaler to see the difference...

15 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

@Yevhen I think the best would be for you to use @Sariel's scaler to see how much does his creation fit real proportions. It is simple as that; sometimes yopu can not make it narrow as you wish due to missing particular dimensions in single Lego Part or parts that can be used...and like everything in life this is compromise, question is just can you live with this compromise or not...but as I say try @Sariel's scaler to see the difference...

His rear boom consists of two sections: 5 and 7 (!) studs wide!

If this Sariel had followed the scaler of his own, he should have made the boom 3 studs wide as maximum!

Watch the video again. There are enough pictures of the real tractor to see the difference!

Edited by Yevhen

16 minutes ago, Yevhen said:

His rear boom consists of two sections: 5 and 7 (!) studs wide!

If this Sariel had followed the scaler of his own, he should have made the boom 3 studs wide as maximum!

Watch the video again. There are enough pictures of the real tractor to see the difference!

So if you are so certain (and you know better), you could give some advice instead of just criticism :wink:

(due to limitation of LEGO parts, best solution for lower part is with  this panels)

https://bricksafe.com/files/nathan/lego-reviews/42035-mining-truck/IMG_8907a.jpg

Edited by I_Igor