Snapshot

Stepping through .ldr files?

Am I being exceptionally dim here but I can't find a way to step through a .ldr file so I can build the model? LDView seems the logical choice but I can't see how to do anything useful with it. All the tutorials are about creating .ldr files; there's nothing I can find about what the end-user can actually do with them. Please rescue an old man from approaching insanity......

I depends whether the file has steps included in it or not, most of the time they aren't though, as the need to be manually added by whoever built the digital model. If steps are present in the file, then LDView is a good choice.

The only other option is to open them in either MLCad, LDCad, or one of the other LDraw programs (all of which require the LDraw parts library to be installed, or Stud.io (which has it's own parts library).  Once open you can just manipulate the model as you would in real life (almost).

Edited by mocbuild101

I have to admit to losing patience with the whole LDraw infrastructure as it seems designed to prevent me doing what I want. So, yes please, some guidance would be greatly appreciated. I'd struggle on with the .lxr file but LDD does complex builds in its own completely bat-shit order so I thought LDraw might be better.....

FWIW I have the complete 2018 v2 package installed.

You can also upload the LDR file to  BrickHub.org and click on ‘instructions’. It will guide you through the steps. 

And if you stumble on a bug, you can PM me and I will try to fix it. It is a new site made for showing LDraw instructions, so bear with me ?

Snapshot, LDRAW programs aren't very user friendly. It took me awhile to learn it. But, I can now make building instructions for technic MOCs. Or. if all you're trying to do is build something from a digital file that does not have steps, I would be happy to work with you on a PM basis. I understand how frustrating it can be. But with a little coaching I can probably help you get past the tough spots.

Apologies for disappearing; it's what happens when one's mother is 94, lives 90 miles away and falls over. She's okay, more shaken than stirred. Hopefully we won't have to go back again until Xmas day.

I've tried putting the file into BrickHub.org but it only found a single step. So it looks like a dead-end and I'll just have to live with the weirdness that LDD produces.

FWIW I want to build Nico71's Cardan Lift GBC module so it's quite complex for LDD. I ran Lasse's Stepper Module in BrickHub and the instructions are a perfect example of how they should be.

Thanks to all that tried to help.

I'm Sorry I could not be of more help this time. I plan on making BrickHub make its own steps, but the plans for this functionality are first for 2019. Right now I am working on getting stability and speed. I think Bricklink's studio currently has the best editor for adding steps - LDD can be very hit and miss with these.