Rudivdk

[TC15] Lockheed Martin P38 - White Lightnin'

She is finished...:

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

Unfortunately I haven't been able to speed up the landing gear. But it works and she is perfectly balanced on her wheels now. I have tried to fill as many of the gaps in the body as possible, and I think the end result is pretty smooth.

Biggest win though is that I managed to put in a significant structural improvement. There is still some diagonal wobble, and she should not be lifted from the wing tips or any other extreme, but overall she is pretty robust.

So 1 week left for final photo's and video, should be OK. 

This build capture perfectly the spirit of this hystoric birds.

Well done! :thumbup:

ps. it's a great thing you managed to balance it in order to fit on it's Wheel.

Congratulations, very nice model! I have been following this with interest as one of my first self-made balsa flying models in my childhood was this model.
Looking forward to the pictures and video. It will certainly get my vote in the contest.

This turned out great. It's fun to see the development of the models as they move through towards completion. This is looking clean, and the little splash of color is great.

Working hard on entry footage, with only a mobile phone camera and the light from my window...

Little teaser:

800x412.jpg

I know how it feels, I have digital camera but no PC...so I also depend on better weather and in my place there is no sun when I have time to take photos of my work...but teaser looks as it should :thumbup:

Edited by I_Igor

I've been following this entry and enjoyed each update to the design.

The final result is really one of my favorites for this competition. Well done, looking forward to the final video.

I had great fun building this model, and I wish every contestant all the best in the final voting.

Thanks to everyone who has been supporting and following me during development of this MOC, special thanx to @I_Igor for your close support and motivation!

Contest entry post:

==============

WHITE LIGHTNIN'

800x505.jpg

Lockheed Martin P-38 Lightning

When the design started in 1937, the twin-boomed P-38 was to be the most innovative plane of its day. On its official introduction in 1940, it found itself amongst the best performing fighters in the world. Its versatility and ruggedness became legendary. Before the end of WW2, it had been nicknamed "fork-tailed devil" by the Germans and for good reason. It was the best fighter plane in the WW2 skies, making short work of it's opponents: in the air, on the ground and in the waters. The Lightning’s legacy is unmatched, a total of more than 10,000 P-38s were manufactured.

One specific example of this beautiful airplane was the 1944 manufactured P­38L­5LD (SN #44‑53254), known as White Lightnin', which was seen at many airshows in the period after WW II. This specific version is the inspiration for my TC15 contest Entry.

(sources: lockheedmartin.com  wikipedia.org p38assn.org)

The build features:

• Characteristic twin-boom body
  • Center nacelle with cockpit, holding a PF Lithium Battery
  • White colorscheme with red details, mimicing real White Lightnin'
  • PF powered twin propellers (counter rotating)
  • Propeller blade pitch control
  • Opening canopy giving access to the cockpit with:
    • Tri-axis yoke controlling ailerons, elevator and twin rudders
    • Up/down switch controlling PF powered flaps
    • Up/down switch controlling PF powered landing gear

Video:

More pictures:

800x905.jpg

800x412.jpg

Even more pics to be seen on my bricksafe page.

Edited by Rudivdk
changes to ensure historical accuracy

Working on some technical cut-outs in LDCad at the moment, to show what's going on underneath the white dress.

Let's see if I can get this embedded as a technical cut-out section in the video before contest close date, otherwise I will put them here in the MOC topic.

Preview:

800x477.jpg

Edited by Rudivdk
updated preview image

Looks fantastic and functions really well. Great entry. I think this’ll do very well in what’s turning out to be a brilliant and very tough competition.

53 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

check this out

Huh, so much for trusting a manufacterer on his own product...:facepalm:

Thanx for pointing it out, changed my description.:thumbup:

That is why we have this forum; do not worry about that. The most important thing is that your P-38 is beautiful so consider my previous post as a little help

Long overdue, but as I promised about a year ago, I will create building instructions for this MOC. Work is in progress.

I finished the digital build with rough stepping sequence for the instructions. Now the fine tuning begins...

Here is the preliminary parts list (99,9% final)https://rebrickable.com/users/Rudivdk/lists/62367/. Part count is a little over 2000 parts, a few rare-ish parts but nothing too shocking. I used a PF rechargable battery box, but the PF AAA batterybox also fits, and I guess also a Buwizzz would fit (not that you need the remote control, but still...).

For the cover of the instructions, I have a nice surprise: when picking up the contest prize last year, I had some pictures taken by @Jim in the very same studio where all the magnificent review photo's are taken (WAAY better quality than I could ever dream of making myself):

800x394.jpg

And finally a glimpse of what the instructions are going to look like:

800x564.jpg

As it is a lot of work, I am considering asking a small fee (something between €3 to €5) for the instructions, please let me know what you think about that.

I think it's fair to charge a small fee. Making instructions is a lot of work, and for those who value building your MOC, it's fair to ask them to cover some of the work put into it.

I was happy to help, even though I am not very happy with the results of the pictures. White and red models are very hard to get right. But at least they are sharp and hi-res :laugh:

2 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

I think it's fair to charge a small fee. Making instructions is a lot of work, and for those who value building your MOC, it's fair to ask them to cover some of the work put into it.

Thanx, that was exactly my tought as well, but I was a bit unsure how well this would be received by the 'paying' end...

1 hour ago, Jim said:

I was happy to help, even though I am not very happy with the results of the pictures. White and red models are very hard to get right. But at least they are sharp and hi-res :laugh:

I know your feeling about the pics, but I am nowhere near your skill in photography, so I am really happy with the pics:laugh:

Progress is slow but steady (and again proves a lot more work than I estimated upfront. I should really re-calibrate my expectations :sweet:):

800x566.jpg

As I go along creating all the sub-steps and call-outs, some minor changes are made to individual parts or part colors. Therefore, I can only guarantee the final parts list once the instructions are done.