This beast based on photo technique should be called black and white hunter :laugh:

It looks mean :devil:

22 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

This beast based on photo technique should be called black and white hunter :laugh:

it really is :wink: (designed to fit my other model)

VlOjxx.jpg

22 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

It looks mean :devil:

True :classic:

EB competition, true? :rofl:

Edited by steph77

Very nice heli indeed. Knowing you and your build quality, all flight controls will be there and working like a charm, but did/will you add other functions as well?

11 hours ago, steph77 said:

Hi guys,

I got one sad news for you.

I had to give up this project. After working hours on it, I just realized I would not be able to finish it in time. More, even after completing the whole rotor system, it doesn't work that well and I found there was no real interest in it. I am bored by this one. It finally will be , and continue to be, the impossible thing to build.

I was in that state of mind, and it's a good news for you :wink: , when in thought I had these words ruling my mind:

First - as others have said - I think your new build is terrific.  Lean, mean, and aggressive. 

But I am also curious into more of the details as to why you abandoned the original idea.  I get you were waiting for parts and did not think you could finish in time and interest was beginning to fade.  But then you mention that it is impossible to build - indicating that it was difficulty, not so much lack of parts or boredom that drove you to give it up. 

I only ask because perhaps there is something that you, being kind of an expert in building such things, have noticed that others have not that makes a Chinook-type copter so difficult.  I get the size and dual-rotor system adds some complexity, but I am wondering if there is perhaps something more. 

17 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

First - as others have said - I think your new build is terrific.  Lean, mean, and aggressive. 

But I am also curious into more of the details as to why you abandoned the original idea.  I get you were waiting for parts and did not think you could finish in time and interest was beginning to fade.  But then you mention that it is impossible to build - indicating that it was difficulty, not so much lack of parts or boredom that drove you to give it up. 

I only ask because perhaps there is something that you, being kind of an expert in building such things, have noticed that others have not that makes a Chinook-type copter so difficult.  I get the size and dual-rotor system adds some complexity, but I am wondering if there is perhaps something more.  

The reasons why I give up on the Chinook project are simples:

When I build a model I need always to have a show of functionalities. The current one does something really special btw.

On the Chinook, it become imperceptible what commands where doing on mains rotors. As the Chinook has a two stage mixing unit for commands, when you input a 2L movements in the first stage of mixing unit, it results a 1L movement at the output. and the same at the output of the second stage so you get 0.5L movement. if you add the backslash in parts, you virtually get nothing to see.

At final count, you've built a Gaz factory that does...nothing. This goes against my own rules while building Moc. It always has 1. to be efficient. 2.be interesting and show something new. 3 always be a real play toy and nether a 'put on shelf' thing. None of those requirement where present, so I give up.

21 hours ago, Rudivdk said:

Very nice heli indeed. Knowing you and your build quality, all flight controls will be there and working like a charm, but did/will you add other functions as well?

Sure :)

here is the list of functions already installed on the model:

-motorized rotors by two M motors+ fake jet engine whit working fan

-collective blade control

-cyclic blade control

-pitch control

-chain gun orientation and tilting from the gunner seat (joystick)

-laser and night vision pod orientation (connected to the pitch of the chain gun)

-operating suspension on main landing gear

-tail wheel orientation

-back aileron pitch controlled by a lever

-opening doors on opposite sides for pilot and gunners (as in real life, it allows to get in/out the aircraft very quickly)

What I am planning and ongoing things:

-functional hellfire launcher

-support for presentation (maintenance area with working stuffs

-review each of previous function and trying to enhance each of them until the dateline...

thanks all for kind comments :)

take 05, still a teaser ;)

aUXJsM.jpg

Edited by steph77
placing picture is only possible when editing the post

Off for today . Here are the progress for today. I replace the  two fake engines fan as they produce one awful grinding noise. I stabilised the front back joystick command. I also realised a complete bank of testing between aw169 and  ah77 and I come to conclusion that on some aspect this new design is better than previous one but ...aw169 is a pearle of stability. I identified 3 aspects to work on in the next days to take this copter at quality standards I required. Stay tuned...

Hy0d6y.jpg

Whole Construction looks very sophisticated :thumbup:

Edited by I_Igor

Great looking build. I find it amazing that so many functions can fit in a build this size.

ok for pictures in color. The deal was that they were shoot by night with awful colors so B&W seemed to be a good deal.

i'll take good pictures ASAP.

This is one amazing helicopter! I can't wait to see a showcase video.
Will you be publishing the LDD file once it's complete? I'd love to build that one irl.

Edited by saabfan

20 hours ago, steph77 said:

ok for pictures in color. The deal was that they were shoot by night with awful colors so B&W seemed to be a good deal.

i'll take good pictures ASAP.

IMHO your B&W photos have artistic value :thumbup:

Back to the project.

I spend last hours to solve the rotor's stability under load and rotation.

I am now at the same level than my AW169 project and I consider it ok now. To solve these issue I tested separately front and rear rotor. For the main rotor two things happened. thirst the 12 L axle I used was a little twisted. I replace it by a fresh new one from a set  of my son (received at Christmas) second this was not enough, I redesigned the whole back support to achieve a 3 point handle for this axle. Front was solved. For the rear one, the issue is more severe. on my 169 I do incline the whole rotor support so there is a constant support of the axle. in this present design that I want different, the axle hangs freely and even with a two point solid fixation it's not enough. to solve it I had a virtual third point by adding one rod between the wheel hub used for tilting the blades and the structures. This add just a little stress (really nearly nothing in practice) that is sufficient to stabilize the support of the axle. The rotation speed and stress on motors are check and inexistent.

Some of you asked me for regular pictures. here they are:

Take 06

general overview: note that the rotor is one fully articulated one. the position of the swashplate is totally independent of the whole rotor inclination

oE5kIk.jpg

front view. bad guy

zrLBNd.jpg2AOgYR.jpg

new rotor head design. 2 studs width instead of 12! on AW169. and it's articulated! the top spring acts as a security for my children (some sort of wheel cable holder on formula one) the machine works perfectly without it, it looks even better without, but security first. Blades are placed exactly in the articulation plan, control rods too to achieve a no-vibration rotation

k5nzEy.jpgfVDVAd.jpg

front gunner place. the joystick is connected to the gun for rotation and tilting. the trigger is located on the underside easily accessible and functional

upLwWj.jpgv9Anxp.jpg

top cockpit view. Tandem design allows two separate joystick for a maximum of fun and playability. the two acces to cockpit are on two different sides so the in/out maneuver for pilot and gunner is quicker.

4bOrft.jpg

going to the back. tail rotor in contrary of AW 169 has now one positive and negative tilting angle available (150% of travel of the 169). next pictures show you max and min position. the command lever is situated at the right side of the cockpit in a symmetrical position of the main collective pitch command.

vBMxad.jpgJfLeqw.jpg

here is a view of the back tail aileron with adjustable flap. inspiration take on the real AH-64 and the Blackhawk. Control  by a 12T gear on the left side. Back landing gear wheel is not suspended but rotate with free 360 travel

MhhplM.jpg

Back top view. The BB integration was a quiet difficult part due to thickness of the global aircraft. it remain easy accessible for switching on/off or replace the batteries

6imJS3.jpg

Weapon system. two pods are installed at each side of the aircraft with both fake missile and functional rotary 'gunner'

atLL6q.jpg

nauCW6.jpg

The rotors are motorized by two M motors. A cluth is installed on each of them for security. the motorization activate two fake jet engines, one on each side of the aircraft. 

UTOp5u.jpg

Final note: I am quiet happy with this one. With is aggressive look, it's features onboard it gives one overall good play time to my son.

This is the more important, no?

Speaking of this, ther is one more feature, last but not least even if it's not a real functionality. The experience with the 169 show me on major issue with technic helicopters. This issue TLG also had an experience with.

It consist in the fact that when a child is playing with a copter and it's rotor in action, the movement the child gives to the flying aircraft affect the rotor with a lot of stress. Just imagine. Take your bike front wheel by the axle, one side in each hand. Ok? now ask a friend to make it rotate as quick he can and now, try to incline the rotating wheel from left to right. you see the problem. Her, with a copter it' exactly the same. This is the reason of the full articulated rotor. I'll show you in the video it's action but the fact to be freely articulated gives the opportunity to make 'fly' the copter and give strong variation of inclination without experiencing any kind of stress on the rotor's components.

6At7g8.jpg

Steph.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 2:42 PM, saabfan said:

This is one amazing helicopter! I can't wait to see a showcase video.
Will you be publishing the LDD file once it's complete? I'd love to build that one irl.

Not sure i could, but if i got time i could do that ;)

21 hours ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Wow steph, this is a truly amazing build. It's clearly packed with functionality despite looking so sleek and elegant. I can't w3ait for a video!

The vid will come in it's time. Actually still working on it

Thx for comments :)

22 minutes ago, steph77 said:

Thanks a lot! If it does work out I'm definitely goint to build it. :D

Wow, that's really impressive MOC. Good job, I think you got my vote. 

(I really look forward to see the instructions, in case that you'd make it; your AW 169 was really great experience to build (at least it's core for understanding all of it's functions) 

20 hours ago, steph77 said:

I'm total sucker for your builds so in that case i wouldn't resist making instructions again :classic:

Yeees!

Ok i'll begin the work on that one.

Whith this work i'll be able to enhance my presentation too.

Thanks Ivan