Seasider

[TC15] Twin Rush - Possibly Cancelled

Just now, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

This is looking awesome so far. Though I agree with @steph77, levers would be a better control system.

20 minutes ago, steph77 said:

I am curious about the final use of these wormgear.

Why not simple levers?

It seemed like an easy way to get the drive through 90deg turns in a compact space.

i May take a look at levers if I get a chance to revisit this

11 minutes ago, Seasider said:

It seemed like an easy way to get the drive through 90deg turns in a compact space.

i May take a look at levers if I get a chance to revisit this

Problem with wormgears is that in order to achieve some movement on the adjacent gear you need multiple turns of the wormgear... 8tooth gear is most responsive to a wormgear, but still needs a few full revolutions before it makes a visible movement on the output. That will be hard to achieve unless you use a motor...

Thats also way I have a very hard time connecting all my control surfaces to my controlstick...:sceptic:

I actually agree that worm gears may be a good idea here, provided you're using motors to control the thing anyway. It means you can't (easily) have a moving joystick in the cabin. However if you use levers, you're basically forced to use levers throughout and avoid gears at all cost to minimize backlash. Worm gears dampen a lot of backlash.

Anyone know what the most compact bevel to bevel gear layout is?

id like to solve this with gears and not levers or knob wheels

I think you could maybe use some gear ratio to speed up the worm gear to make one full revolution when you move the joystick. That way the rudders will still deflect a substantial amount.

I find myself at an impasseand I'm not sure if I'm going to continue with this project, restart TC15 with something different or go back to working on one of the many other Lego projects I've got at the moment (including building many unopened official sets and a couple of other Technic MOCs that are WIP). Time is another big problem with my building generally being limited to an hour if I'm lucky during the week and similar at a weekend.

The problems I'm having at the moment come down to a few things ...

I don't like the tailplane

I think the model will be unbalanced as it is and not be able to sit on wheels

I think the fuselage looks too chunky in comparison to the wings

Although I like the prop setup I've got I think they look too small compared to the fuselage

... just too many issues and I'm not sure how I'm going to solve them

I'll have a further think at the weekend, but this may be the end of this project

How about incerasing wingspread? Maybe that would improve the model's balance a bit and would make the fuselage look less chunky.

Also you could use custom-built propellers.

I hope this one will go further and that you'll find a way to go through the difficulties.

Maybe try to solve them one by one?

16 hours ago, Seasider said:

I think the model will be unbalanced as it is and not be able to sit on wheels

You can always try to hide some weight (motor) in front.

16 hours ago, Seasider said:

Although I like the prop setup I've got I think they look too small compared to the fuselage

In last picture, where main structure is shown, it looked pretty proportioned.

Well I’ve tried again this morning and I’m just not loving the model. I even tried turning it into a tail dragger instead of twin boom and I just didn’t feel it.

so project officially cancelled and taken apart.

looking forward to seeing everyone’s submissions and voting

also looking forward to TC16 ... time to build a hot rod (vette b model) or perhaps dust of the part built Dodgem

3 hours ago, HydroWorld Outlook said:

Cancelled? Well, that totally stinks. Your project looked so awesome!

Please stop reviving old topics, just to say "nice".
You already received one warning just yesterday, for bumping another 9 year old topic.

5 hours ago, Milan said:

Please stop reviving old topics, just to say "nice".
You already received one warning just yesterday, for bumping another 9 year old topic.

Look, I'm sorry, okay? I am a new user and I did not know it was against the rules. I was just trying to be nice.

Edited by HydroWorld Outlook

44 minutes ago, HydroWorld Outlook said:

Look, I'm sorry, okay? I am a new user and I did not know it was against the rules. I was just trying to be nice.

By creating the account you were asked to read and accept the site rules (also about bumping old topics). You were also reminded of them yesterday, when you bumped. You have been informed twice it was against the rules.
But, you did the same thing again today...

So, let's try to stick to the new topics and only revive old ones if there is something important to add.