Seasider

[TC15] Twin Rush - Possibly Cancelled

Hello all ...

So I jumped for joy with the new competition but the problem for me is what to build. I’d built Technic Gliders (triple competition) and Autogyros (jfair) before so needed a new challenge.

I’m not sure how big or complex this is going to be or actually what it looks like overall but i knew I wanted to do a prop airplane as that’s more my thing. But I want to make it as quirky as possible while still being in the realms of real engineering. (I do have an aero degree after all).

Just to show how many aircraft I’ve got here’s a collection of propellor blades.

Props away

and here’s what I’ve spent this evening working on for about 4 hours ... I wanted to have a challenge with the powertrain so I’ve gone like this ...

Contra-Rotating (Counter-Rotating) Propellors.

Now I just need to work out how to mount this and more importantly in what!

If you can stick 2 of those underneath the wings, one on each side... and go from there?

Edited by pagicence

It’s not going to be a Bear copy. That would be HUGE at this scale

im sticking to the Twin theme and doing a twin boom something like a Cessna O2

It could be lot of aircrafts like here listed, but Cessna is good choice. My choice would be this one, but I have not enough parts (not to mention no propellers) and not enough time :sad:

this contra-rotating propellers are the first thing that cross my mind when I saw TC15...

good luck

So a bit of work tonight.

I’ve tieded the colours of the prop assembly, built a flat 6 engine, and then been working on the overall size from a plan view based on some crude measurements of a Cessna O2 using @Sariels scaler tool.

i’m only using this for general shape and not making a full copy as the real plane has a standard pull prop and a push prop each. Mine is going to have the engine at the front and the contra-rotating prop at the rear.

So it’s turned out a lot larger than I imagined. But a lot of it will be wings and boom.

I wasn’t going to go big ...

not sure if I’ll work on this tomorrow night

Even by not taking the challenge of putting controls inside the cockpit this plane is large... Looking good though, seems you have your sizelimits layed out, that is a good driver for fitting everything in a defined space.

Just a little update from me. Build time has been limited with the run up to Christmas and unwell family members but I’ve managed to get a couple of hours on Sunday and then tonight.

so the task I set myself was the design of the main wings. I wanted to have an angle on both the leading and trailing edge (all be it slight on the trailing) and this is what I’ve created. You’ll also notice a change in colour scheme, this is to differentiate myself from the other twin boom model on here. So instead of white with the odd red accent I’m now doing LBG with Black accents.

31325358287_a64ab2f4c2_b.jpg

wing prototype

31325358227_bbd8cc12e0_b.jpg

the “finished” pair ... is ever anything truly finished?

next task will be the main fuselage to work out it’s general shaping

that looks like very interesting (concept) plane, but also remind me on this

sud-ouest-so8000-narval.jpg

but it would probably be easier (from controls point of view) to make this (I ralized that image is a bit ti big)

https://oldmachinepress.files.wordpress.com/2017/08/douglas-xb-42-no1-in-flight1.jpg

Edited by I_Igor
displayed link for image because it was bigger that 1024 x 768

@I_Igor I’m still not 100% what this plane is going to look like. The wing may be high like the Cessna O2 or mid/low mounted like your examples.

Hopefully this weekend I’ll get some build time on the Fuselage

1 hour ago, Seasider said:

@I_Igor I’m still not 100% what this plane is going to look like. The wing may be high like the Cessna O2 or mid/low mounted like your examples.

Hopefully this weekend I’ll get some build time on the Fuselage

you will know what is the best when time will come depending on parts you have to replicate both functions and design best as possible...

I did an hour or so this evening and thought I’d have an attempt on some fuselage shaping.

I’ve come up with this so far, I think the angle of the rear panels will be defined by where the gearbox for the contra-props has to sit. As to the  front I want to get the engine in there but also aware that some landing gear needs to go somewhere.

46241963392_bc294dd574_b.jpg46241963452_032de9bc6a_b.jpg46241963302_fb6dca1772_b.jpg

i don’t actually mind the plan view. I think the fuselage looks a bit wide but I think it still works

Edited by Seasider

2 hours ago, Bartybum said:

I’d make the tail booms a bout 20% longer, it’ll look more realistic.

Agree tail booms should be some 20% longer, but front section looks very good :thumbup:

On 12/13/2018 at 8:12 AM, Bartybum said:

I’d make the tail booms a bout 20% longer, it’ll look more realistic.

On 12/13/2018 at 10:33 AM, I_Igor said:

Agree tail booms should be some 20% longer, but front section looks very good :thumbup:

I think you’re both right. The problem will be making sure it’s not too tail heavy for the landing gear.

So tonight I got an hours worth of Lego building time and thought I’d work out how to get the gearbox/props mounted into the rear of the fuselage. This is what I came up with.

32471857198_ff4b4df812_b.jpg

evolution of the fuselage to date

32471857018_ed70735f29_b.jpg

rear of the fuselage with mounted prop (gearbox/transmission is inside the panels). Ignore the LBG liftarms on the left, they’re just there to display this stage of the build.

Looks good, nice to see 'old' style panels used here, I always tend to forget I have those as well.

Some slow progress from me. As I was home today I managed to get a couple of hours building in, so I worked on the tailplane area.

46437514482_09ce4b32f9_b.jpg

elevators

46437514652_26ef770d86_b.jpg

vertical tailplane and rudder

Now just to work out how to connect these together!

anyone know if the dark grey worm gear with connectors each end is in a 2019 H1 set? I could do with at least 1 more.

also starting to get worried about build time and weight balance now!

16 hours ago, Seasider said:

anyone know if the dark grey worm gear with connectors each end is in a 2019 H1 set? I could do with at least 1 more.

Unfortunately no, thus part did not work out as planned so TLC decided to make new ones 1L introduced in 42060 and 42061 (and other...) sets in 2017

Perhaps you can use classis 2L long with axle 8 with stop on tail rudder and change axle connector 2l with one red 3l

Edited by I_Igor
Added some text

5 hours ago, Mechbuilds said:

Never used brickowl before. Just done a BrickLink order for a load of bits including a few worm gears.

so I did another hour or so build today and managed to get at least part of my tailplanes mounted. I’m not sure if I’ll mount the bottom bits yet. Next task will be mounting this to the main wings, but that’s most probably a week away as I’m heading away for a few days tomorrow.

45587228065_16734aa66b_b.jpg

45587228305_68bbcb803d_b.jpg

and the shot of the mechanisms ... you may notice some missing wormgears

Edited by Seasider