Hi,

Unfortunately my Blade Runner spinner doesn't qualify for the TC15 rules, but since the spinner stuck in my head I decided to change the topic title. I'll keep the radial engine here for those who want to use the design.

Here is my WIP topic for the TC15 contest. Building airplanes and being called immortal, what more can a man wish for, so I couldn't resist this one. After some deliberations on what I wanted to make I decided to go for a propellor plane (after dismissing various helicoptervariants). I want to incorporate adjust blade pitch and a radial engine (or engines). So here is my first protoype engine & propellor:

44332300250_19fd1ce826_c.jpg

I think I will stick to a one-engine plane, otherwise it gets out of hand scalewise :laugh:.

I don't think I will model it after a particular plane, but it's probably going to be some fictional WW-II fighterplane. So if anybody has any suggestions...

Functionwise I'd like to get:
- Fake radial engine
- Adjustable blade pitch
- landing gear
- landing gear bay doors
- control surfaces operated by stick in the cockpit (and HoG somewhere)
- opening canopy

Browsing a bit through the net I also saw the P38 lightning... Interesting shapes to say the least, but no radial engines... So should I ditch the radial engine and make a P38 with proper V12's or make a P38-like one with radial engines?
I'm interested to hear your opinions.

Leg godt,

Jeroen

Edited by Jeroen Ottens

The engine looks great!

If You want a twin engine with radial and twin boom configuration like P38, there is P-61 Black widow.

For single engined fighters, I'm a big fan of Polikarpov I-16. That thing is cute :grin:

Do what you like, even if it doesn't exist for real. Incorporate what ever engine you like on what ever plane you like. Make something interesting. Put a radial engine on a jet fighter if you will. You can also check out World of Warplanes online game, (don't bother installing it, now it's over 20GB to download), there are interesting WWII planes there. Also, Lego Technic Mastery has some good little radial engines. I only wonder how will you get an adjustable blade pitch through the working radial engine, if it all spins? I'm guessing that rods controlling the pitch will go outside and around the engine?

My suggestion is stick to radial, I'm guessing not many people will do it if it all.

Looks like a good start. I wouldn’t limit yourself to the shape and type of plane by the engine type you’ve chosen. I always think of radials for things like the triple engined Junkers or barnstormer biplanes.

Looks good already. I think I get how you did the blade pitch, very neat and compact solution! Good luck!

This looks interesting :thumbup:, there are lots of beautiful planes :wub:from that era despite using for horrible things :sick:

Edited by I_Igor

Nice variable pitch setup. I came up with a similar one but managed to get it more compact and more easily controllable with using a wheel hub. The linkage to the blade is the same, but with 2L longitudinal beams. I hope I can start a WIP topic this week.

On 12/2/2018 at 11:39 AM, Jeroen Ottens said:

So if anybody has any suggestions...

BV 141

3 hours ago, Beck said:

BV 141

That is an insane plane *huh*, I've never seen it before

But hurts my urge for symmetry too much I'm afraid

51 minutes ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

That is an insane plane *huh*, I've never seen it before

But hurts my urge for symmetry too much I'm afraid

Yeah it's quite an oddity.

Here are a few more that come to mind:

J7W1 Shinden, Vought XF5, and XP-56

5 minutes ago, Davidz90 said:

For more German insanity, I can recommend this page:

http://www.luft46.com/

It is very familiar to me, one of place that convinced to buy Horten Ho229 model (I hope it is not to much offtopic) :wink:

Hi Jeroen,

This seems to be a grat start design.

One question, witch is quiet generic, when rotating doesn't this engine vibrate a lot? As the pistons are moved by a non symmetrical shaft?

Edited by steph77

2 hours ago, steph77 said:

Hi Jeroen,

This seems to be a grat start design.

One question, witch is quiet generic, when rotating doesn't this engine vibrate a lot? As the pistons are moved by a non symmetrical shaft?

In the real planes a big counterweight is added to the crankshaft.
Since the P38 is already being developed I'll have to think of a new plane (maybe I'll go futuristic instead).

9 minutes ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Since the P38 is already being developed I'll have to think of a new plane (maybe I'll go futuristic instead).

Oh man, I hadn't even noticed that part in your first post until now:distressed:... I'm feeling kind of like a thief at the moment:sceptic:. For me the P38 is an all-time favorite airplane, my first attempt at building one out of lego was somewhere in the 90's...  I also used to own a Revell model kit of it, but never finished it and threw it away. I think me ending up with the P38 was just inevitable...

Please don't let my humble build stop you from building whatever you want for the contest.

47 minutes ago, Rudivdk said:

Oh man, I hadn't even noticed that part in your first post until now:distressed:... I'm feeling kind of like a thief at the moment:sceptic:. For me the P38 is an all-time favorite airplane, my first attempt at building one out of lego was somewhere in the 90's...  I also used to own a Revell model kit of it, but never finished it and threw it away. I think me ending up with the P38 was just inevitable...

Please don't let my humble build stop you from building whatever you want for the contest.

No worries, I’ll find my favorite soon as well I think

Change of plans...

Completely the other way around, this is from the (near) future, the infamous spinner from Blade Runner. I managed to design the front wheel well, with the wheel nicely tucked inside:

31311480917_0b6b376295_c.jpg

45337631625_4b6b6dbab8_c.jpg

It is pushing against the boundaries of the competition, so @Jim: would this entry be allowed?

I realize you have scrapped your original project, which is to bad I think, really liked the direction that engine was taking. One thing though, I always thought those radial engines had an odd number of cylinders to operate properly, if I remember correctly on some of them the whole engine actually would spin with the prop. 

17 hours ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Change of plans...

Completely the other way around, this is from the (near) future, the infamous spinner from Blade Runner. I managed to design the front wheel well, with the wheel nicely tucked inside:

It is pushing against the boundaries of the competition, so @Jim: would this entry be allowed?

"we are not looking for futuristic unrealistic scifi designs"

I reckon the Spinner falls into this category. I know I stated that the BMW B-model concept would be okay, but this one is way too much SciFi. Maybe you can build a plane or a helicopter :tongue: